News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1974 charger quarter windows

Started by trevor74, August 22, 2008, 02:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trevor74

so i have a 74 charger se with the window louvers and im completely restoring it and want to get rid of the window louvers and put the normal charger quarter windows in.

does anyone know where i can get the glass and the window frame i dont care if its new or used.

Nacho-RT74

welcome.

the simply answer is IMHO... sell the SE and get a Hartop ( or coupe, with hardtop look but fixed window ). The real deal.

can be done ? yes... is hard ? first need to get the parts what is hard by itself. Advice, get a complete donor car.

then you'll have to make body job... remove B pillar, make the U cuts on Jams, elongate the drip rails ( or get rid off the complete drip rail up to front ).

has been done ? yes, as far I know just one member on board and dunno remember who was.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

FLG

Quite a project IMO, i agree with nacho.

Are you going to keep the vinyl top? Ive seen plenty witout the top but with the quarter windows and honestly they look sharp. Personally i like the louvers, they add a nice touch to the car....though it dosnt help with the already big blind spot from the B pillar.

73rallyecharger

Tough job to tackle. I would look for a donor car as suggested. Mike

Nacho-RT74

The donor car suggestion is no more that because NOBODY will get the complete parts for sale to make the conversion. Normally you could get around the regulator, glass, moldings, more to make replacement parts because some damage but maybe not the chanels ( or all of them ) or every bracket and bolt needed.

Beside that you will ne to find the matching interior parts, upper panel, sail panel side headliner moldings... thats also hard because beside get the part it self need the color AND the panel kind ( brougham or regular ).

If your SE is brougham what is the common, FORGETT IT, you won't find a brougham rear upper panel to hardtop WITH THE THIN WOODGRAIN INSERT. If you still think on make the conversion being a brougham interior, my advice is get a FULL SET OF STANDART upper panels on all 4 corners

I have seen JUST ONE car with Brougham interior on a hardtop on all the web all these last 6 years that I have been on Charger world websurfing being member of this beloved board... and that interior is now on my car :D. Was on a Canadian car

I'm not saying find brougham panels to hardtop will be imposible, but ALLMOST!!!

you will get all the help needed to make teh converiosn, no prob, but trust me will take lot of time consuming unless as stated get a donor.

honestly, I would try to get the real deal, since will be also more valuable. Hardtops are more wished nowdays than SEs
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger1973

I actually have all the parts needed... still in the car.  Whether or not I will sacrifice the car to part with them is another question.  It would take a pretty good offer, but anything is possible I suppose. 

craigandlynda

leave the louvers in place...1) they look good 2) is more original 3) that kind of extensive work yields nothing in greater performance, value, or originality 4) the time and money could be spent somewhere else on the car 5) no donor car needed 6)leaves more time for driving instead of sweating 7) you will see no increase in gas mileage. :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents: