News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I am guessing my issue is brake related

Started by Spartan, October 22, 2005, 03:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

Well, this is one of the few  times I am posting while with the car.  I am having a little trouble getting the car to move in drive now.  I put it in reverse and the car moves fine.  I took the brake drum off the drivers (the e-brake cable seemed tight) side and tried it again.  Everything spun freely in drive and reverse so I am guessing it is the e-brake.  When I first noticed the ride was a little bumpy snd I got it back to the garage, thats  when I saw the problem.  The drivers side rim seemed warmmer then the others (rear drivers side tire).  Not sure if its the regular brakes or the emergency brake.  Any help on what one and how to fix it would be great.  Thanks.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Make sure the axel seal isnt leaking gear oil onto the brake shoes causing them to become contaminated & swell up
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Spartan

there wasn't any leaking that I could find.  and the shoes felt dry.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Chryco Psycho

if the E brake cable is sticking it will be easier to turn the drum in reverse than drive , it is common for the cable to stick & drag the brakes

Spartan

Thanks Chryco.  Where do I brake the cable free?  I can't find the point its binding. 

Chryco Psycho

Badbob

If the brakes were dragging enough to prevent the car from moving you would not be able to turn the wheel by hand or get the drum off without backing off the adjuster.

Spartan

Thats exactly what I have.  with the drum on, can't turn it.  With drum off it is fine.  The drum was a royal pain to get off.

Charger_Fan

You could also try backing off the self adjuster a little bit...it will have the same symptoms if the brake is adjusted too tight.

Another thing...with both drums off, push the E-brake pedal halfway down & take note of how far the cables have pulled the linkage. Then release the E-brake & look at your brakes again. If both sides have returned to their original relaxed positions (one's not staying tighter than the other), then it's probably your self adjuster set too tight.
If one cable stays tighter than the other, you know which cable to replace.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Spartan

I am not sure if the e-brake test will show anything, right now I cannot get the e-brake pedal to fully return.....I bull the break lever and it does not return all the way.  The e-brake light is always on too, the pedal sags to almost the 1st engagement notch.

Charger_Fan

Hmmm...that could very well be the upper cable halfway rusted up.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Spartan

That could easily be. She sat for a few years until I had the engine redone last fall.