News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

starting daytona nose cone fitment

Started by thallium, October 23, 2005, 12:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

So what engine are u gonna decide on?-MATT

nascarxx29

Same a real daytona nose needing work in MCG FEB 06 issue no $$
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

thallium

This is how I am solving the headlight door problem. It may not be the right way everyone does it, but it's my way and it should look decent. The doors will be permanently shut.

hotrod98

Tabor,
I've put my daytona clone project on the back burner for now and I'm gathering the parts for my wife's superbird clone. I'm going to mount the lights similar to the way that you're doing it. I think for a clone, it's good enough. We only drive our cars at night a few times a year anyway. Can't wait to see your car finished.
larry

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona Guy

Not a bad idea. This solves a couple of problems. It looks like a turn signal in the day, and at night will shine through the grill like a head light. You are good. You just saved yourself a huge head ache. Very very good.

Only one thing. Some Cops may think your headlights are not ON and you are running on auxiliary lighting and may pull you over. I know, I have mounted one of mine close to this idea, and the cops just could not get that they were head lamps with high and low beams. I had to go in and talk to the Chief of police to get them off my case. But that was 20 years ago. I think they are more understandable today because of all the options that today's headlights look like.

BigBlockSam

very cool Tabor
  that looks good too. are those led parking lights or blinkers. are you running parking lights.  thats gonna save you a big pain in the ass. i dig it. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

kab69440

One question, Tabe. Won't those lights affect cooling in the already undersized grille opening? If memory serves, Daytonas as a rule run hot
because of this. Do you think you will still get enough air to the radiator?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

chargervert

Hey,Thallium,I think Dane might be right,about getting hasseled by the cops about those lights! If you don't want to part with the bucks,to buy the correct parts to make your lights function proprely,(which are available from both,Dayclona,or Erik Nelson) then you may want to do what Daytonalo did,and fabricate your own set up! He showed everyone how he did it step by step. If you don't want headlights that function like that,then you could do what a lot of guys used to do with the old fiberglass kits,and fab recessed light buckets,and make the covers so you can remove them at night.That way you could utilize the space where the headlights belong,and save the grille space for cooling!

hotrod98

Or...he could do it the way that he wants to do it.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

maybe you could increase the size of the cooling holes on the bottom of the nose. make sure you run a nice big spoiler  underneath   and the z brackets to direct the air to the rad .i think you'll be OK. i know you like hp. if you go real big on the motor i would suggest an aluminum rad but i suggest that any time you go with a monster motor in any daytona.  the cops around here wouldn't bust your balls about that. as long as your running real headlights and not driving lights. you told me you were gona put your mind to it and you did. i think its very cleaver. cause during the day, it'll look  correct to 99 percent of the people. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Old Moparz

Hey Thallium

I like the concept, good luck.   :2thumbs:   Since I have a lot of the parts already to make the doors work on mine, I'll try that first. I'm also open to other ideas, especially if they're more reliable & won't leave you stranded in the dark somewhere. If I bail on the doors later on, I'm thinking about something similar to what you're doing. I kind of like the idea of having them further apart for more visibility, but since most driving will be in daytime, it's probably not a big deal.

Bob
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

thallium

Thanks Rene, Larry for the compliments. It's not finished yet, but I wanted to show the mock up of what it would look like. All the brakets to hold the lights/turn signals are made and in place. Rene, those turn signals (led's) can be used both as turn signals and parking lights. The turn signals are the only thing I have hooked up at the moment. I'm thinking about hooking up the parking lights to the led'.s.

As for the cooling problem that some of you think I might experience, let me just say that these headlights(not driving lights), are just a tad bigger than the daytona turn signals, the difference should be minimal at best. I'm basically replacing the daytona turn signals with headlights. If I do have a cooling problem when I get this thing running, I'll just fix it like everything else we do when hot rodding cars.

I really don't see myself getting into trouble with the cops around here. The headlights will probably never get used, it's just there in case I get caught in the dark one of these days while driving it. It may see 1 or 2 times a year in the dark.  

Daytona Guy

About cooling. I have found that the opening just needs to be adequate to move air through. I have found that the fan pulling the air through the radiator with a shroud was the biggest issue. I took of my clutch fan and went with a direct dive (kept the original fan) and that baby pulls the air through well at idle and at high speed. You definitely hear the fan. Do the math. Measure the square inches of the opening of your shroud, and compare it with the opening of the grill and the two holes under it. They should equal the same, (If the engineers did their job) for that is all you need. If the opening is smaller than the shroud, then that is where resistance would come into play, but then the fan should be strong enough to pull it through, it would just have to work a little harder. Electric fans do not work, at least that is my experience. The major reason why the Daytona's had a hard time was because of the clutch fan's slippage at idle on a hot summer day. At least that has been my experience.

nascarxx29

II agree as daytona guy .I had no luck with the clutch fan .I used a flexalite #1318 I believe thats the part number.And with the car idiling you can feel suction at the grille opening
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

BigBlockSam

thallium

By the way, I got the nose cone fitted onto the car this weekend. This thing looks mean as hell with the nose cone attached.  Rene, I attached the nose cone via the Dane method :)   I was able to use the original metal latch tray. I won't have to use hood pins. All I had to do was modify the release lever to the latch tray just a bit. Obviously I'm not going for originality, so it didn't matter to me too much.  I forgot to take some pictures of the nose cone on the car. Next time I have it on the car, I'll get some pics posted with the original latch tray.  Man, I wanted to drive it down the block so bad with the nose cone and wing on!! haha.

chargervert

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 29, 2006, 10:37:50 AM
Or...he could do it the way that he wants to do it.

You're right Hot rod,those engineers from Chrysler,didn't know shit when they designed those cars to go 200 MPH!Nor did they know shit,when they designed the street cars to do daily street driving either! You guys are way ahead of them! :icon_smile_big:

hotrod98

Chargervert...you just don't get it do you? 
We're building CLONES. We really don't care what you think we should do. We don't want a car exactly like the originals. As for original cars, I can drive a different car every day for two weeks straight and still not run out of cars to drive. It's just that now I want something completely different. I don't care where the headlamps are located. I might turn them on once a year, if that.
I plan to drive the hell out of my bird clone. If I total it out, I'll just start building another one. That's the nice thing about clones. They're replacable.
You can build your car your way and we'll build our cars our way.

Someone even mentioned cutting the roof off of it. Man that's a mental picture I didn't need. ::)

Charles Addams

dayclona

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 30, 2006, 09:01:08 PM
Chargervert...you just don't get it do you? 
We're building CLONES. We really don't care what you think we should do. We don't want a car exactly like the originals.
You can build your car your way and we'll build our cars our way

Well technicly speaking, to say your building "CLONES", and in the same "breath" say "We don't want a car exactly like the originals" .......is an oxy- moron,............as a "CLONE" is indeed a "copy" of an original!..................what you guys are building, are: ......."abberations" ...................of the original cars,................Which is great!,...because it shows everyone how " diverse "you  are! :yesnod:

Mike G/ DAYCLONA

hotrod98

Glossary

From Joseph Andersen,
Your Guide to Physics.
(abberations)
Definition: Optics: A system of optics, failing to produce the true image.

I like that. Maybe my car will be an optical illusion or an optical conclusion. Maybe some of my other cars are optical conclusions. I never did like the term "clone". Sounded too much like we wanted our cars to be something that they're not. Like my challenger convertible's not really a hemi car...it just thinks that it is.
Man, you guys are the greatest.

Charles Addams

dayclona

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 30, 2006, 11:11:28 PM
Glossary

From Joseph Andersen,
Your Guide to Physics.
(abberations)
Definition: Optics: A system of optics, failing to produce the true image.

I like that. Maybe my car will be an optical illusion or an optical conclusion. Maybe some of my other cars are optical conclusions. I never did like the term "clone". Sounded too much like we wanted our cars to be something that they're not. Like my challenger convertible's not really a hemi car...it just thinks that it is.
Man, you guys are the greatest.

Websters: 9th Collegiate Dictionary,.........  abberation, ............1  departing from the standard,    2  deviating from the usual, or   3  unsoundness or disorder of the mind,   4   or an aberrant organ or individual............................Gee sounds like some of the people here!.............and  Larry ,if you think us guys are the Greatest,..............thanks for the compliment!................icon_smile_big:

Mike G/ DAYCLONA

hotrod98

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

Larry don't fall into there bullshit. were talking about what a great job tabor did thinking outside the box. there are some really nice daytona's coming from this board.  we helped each other and got it done . before any experts could tell us we are doing it wrong.

picked up the 440 sixpack motor from the machine shop today for the daytona. taking  it to the dyno next week to break it in. it's a shame to take the stock 383 out. it runs so good. it's just boring . stock. i want more power scotty.
 that hemi sure looks sweet sitting there. whats that your third and dam your shop looks good. can't wait to finish mine.
 tabor thats the way i'm mounting my nose. is that called the Dane method.  :thumbs:
looks like it will work good that way. well i think after 9 daytona's he should know something. anybody else here built 9 daytona's.
 build what you want , how you want it, and drive the shit out of it.   :drive:

Rene

life to short for all the bullshit

dayclona

Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 31, 2006, 12:18:53 AM
 we helped each other and got it done . before any experts could tell us we are doing it wrong.

thats the way i'm mounting my nose. is that called the Dane method.  :thumbs:
looks like it will work good that way. well i think after 9 daytona's he should know something. anybody else here built 9 daytonas

Rene

Asking a question?,regarding the building of Daytonas?............how about .23 cars, plus complete kits to do 26 cars to date, plus  5.........71 Wingcars...................also.not counting the many other B/E bodies, that have passed thru our shop.................also complete 70  Superbird "kits" are being developed,......................no "bullshit"!

Mike G/ DAYCLONA

hotrod98

Rene,
Don't worry, I haven't fallen. I still like thinking outside of the box a little. I like what Tabor's doing and can't wait to see it finished. Just wished I could see it in person. Maybe he'll meet us in vegas at the sema show in November. I'll continue to build my cars my way.
I know what you mean about pulling those motors. I've built a six pack motor for my 69 bee. I sure hate pulling that 383, but it's not the original motor anyway, it's a warranty replacement.
My wingcar stuff for the bird "abberation" is almost ready to be shipped.
Hey, here's the pic that I didn't show. Sandra's two Trans Ams. The 2000 is the one that I converted from a t-top to a hardtop. It has an LS1, 6-speed and 17" Miglias. The '79 has all Hotchkis suspension, 2" drop spindles, AGR steering gear box and pump, 4 wheel disc and 455 with race prepped 350. I still have the original WS6 wheels, stock 403 and auto in storage.

Charles Addams