News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

starting daytona nose cone fitment

Started by thallium, October 23, 2005, 12:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargervert

Theres nothing wrong with thinking outside the box,and if your lucky maybe someone might open the box,and let you out! You guys don't need things like headlights that work! What was I thinking offering up a few different suggestions! Hey Hot Rod, from the looks of your shop,it looks like you take your car building seriously,so I wouldn't think you would want to hack together a non functional clone that you cannot drive! Is that method,like the rythem method,because one slip up and you're ------! :icon_smile_big:

hotrod98

Pete,
Verrrrry funnnny.
Actually, my wife let's me out of the box every morning and locks me back up at night. She has to watch me closely to keep me from buying more cars. 

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

thallium

Quote from: chargervert on January 31, 2006, 05:58:10 AM
Is that method,like the rythem method,because one slip up and you're ------! :icon_smile_big:

Smart asses  ;D   By the way, while we are in the smart ass department, I might as well join in. You know you may be right. I may just stop what I'm doing and get the dayclona parts. If I go the dayclona route, I can spend over $10k on parts if not more and never have enough to finish my project so it can sit in the driveway and I can stare at it for all eternity. If I go with "Dane's method", it cost me around $2,000 for all the parts which includes an aluminum wing and I can actually drive the car down the road in the near future. hmmmmm. Hard decision........Stare at the car? or drive it down the road? hmmmm......  Screw it, Lets stare at it!!!!!!

All I'm saying is there is more than one way to skin a cat sometimes. I know it's not the way you would do it, but I know my limitations/ skill level and how much money I have to complete this project. Just trying to make a decent "abberation" I can drive down the street and have fun with. That's all, just tyring to have fun....

BTW, I have noticed dayclona is selling "abberation" daytona wings for $3k. The base of the wing is a little off. It's been pointed out here before in another thread.

nascarxx29

Well if you have the unlimited funds get the good wingcar stuff As I instructed daytonalo to do .But he has been able to make his own parts.And done well so far on the route he choose to take .And has access to my original daytona as reference along the way.And has seen one of my clone 318 AC 70 daytona before built in 78 -80s in the past.And has almost got the hard work done.Its nice now that theres every part under the sun available and vendors making more .It always wasnt that way.I had to retro fit and make something work.I had to use a screen door storm cylinder support bracket on my headlight pivot bracket.It was flat hollow up the center and just needed a hole drilled in it.This car here I had got nearly finished on a superbird project car trade from a friend has alot of my retro fitted items done to it.But its what I did for me.Do what works for you.and what you have to work with.I later had a superbird with electric headlights
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hotrod98

Just call us the abberation generation.
Let's see if I understand this correctly. The only people that don't like what we're doing, are the people that we're not buying parts from, the people that we ARE buying parts from, the people that own real Daytonas and Superbirds and the people that think we're destroying nice original cars. Does that cover it?  Oh yeah, and the guys that wish they had a clone. :yesnod:

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

hey nascarxx29
  nice car! i love all daytona's original factory built ones or our recreations. i'm gonna try to visit daytonalo  in the near future. i'm only 40 minutes away. i'd dig meeting  you too.

Tabor well said. what are you gonna do with the motor stock? how did the  stinger nose fit to tthe fenders?

larry you converted from a t-top to a hardtop? thats alot of work no? did you get the superbird parts from showcars or the other guy in canada.   Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

nascarxx29

Ive owned real superbirds in the late 70-80-s and currently a daytona .And have had help build clone superbird ragtop on a original FM3 70 satelitte convertible for the owner of several real superbirds..And I have no trouble with clones being built by boardmembers or anyone whatsoever .I realize there not enough of the real thing around .And what it currently cost.Im not the least upset by it at all .Its more like imitation is flattery.

1969 Daytona 440 Presently owned
1970 Coronet 500 383 Presently owned
1970 Superbird 440 U 166242 Sold.But found once and lost track of it
1970 Superbird 440 U 174597 Sold.But found and lost track of it
1970 Superbird 440-6 V 179697 Cars in barns totalled out car entitled OUCH
1970 Coronet RT 440 U 224126 Sold.Relocated and been to see it
1968 Road Runner 426 J 134509 Sold Found once and never seen or heard from
1970 Daytona Replica 318 G 178701 Sold.Found the current owner of it

hotrod98

Rene,
I'm getting the bird parts from other guy in Canada. So far I like what I've seen. The nose is fiberglass and the wing is steel.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

let me know how that goes with those guys. the price sounds good . i got a 70 satellite body in storage. needs alot of help but it might be cool to do something with it in the future and i have a pair of coronet fenders.  this yr  i'm gonna finsih the 68 r/t and the daytona.
  i picked up a 69 hp motor for  $400. my wife says i'm nuts. that makes 12 440's 6 running and 6 in strorage. you don't find alot of 440's in the northeast. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

nascarxx29

I can think of 2 Canadian wing car part suppliers .Ive never used any of there stuff to comment on1 is Don Currie unique movie props metal inclusive kit $6500.00 I think .and R Johnson showcar body parts unlimited

chargervert

Hey Thallium,I never said for you to buy Dayclonas parts,I merely offered you a few alternative suggestions to put your headlights in the correct spot! If you don't want input,then don't ask for it!I took the time to tell you how to correctly cut your fenders so you could attach your valence correctly,I am making suggestions to help you! For your information Mikes wing is correct in every detail to my original wing,which FYI was the template for it! Maybe you may want to take a closer look before you bash someones parts who is far more informed about wingcars,than you,me or Dane!If you want to build your car with a $1.99 roll of duct tape,thats your buisness,but if you ask us our opinion,then I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one trying to discourge you from doing it that way! It wasn't that long ago Dane was saying that you don't need to run wing washers,or wing braces! Dane has changed his tune on that one!

BigBlockSam

i think he's talking about unique movie props . they've got some nice wing cars on there website plus some cool bat phones.

boy don't you wish people would stop telling everyone how to act.   :violin:

chargervert

If you're not interested in my responses,then spare me the comments!

hotrod98

Okay...that's it...everyone out of the pool.  ::)

Charles Addams

chargervert

Or do you mean everyone out of the box! :icon_smile_big:

thallium

Quote from: chargervert on January 31, 2006, 05:00:05 PM
For your information Mikes wing is correct in every detail to my original wing,which FYI was the template for it! Maybe you may want to take a closer look before you bash someones parts who is far more informed about wingcars,than you,me or Dane!

Hey fine, if you say your wing is original than it's original.  You say maybe I need to take a closer look before bashing someones parts. Okay, I'm taking a closer look. Look for yourself.....  I'm not here to bash anyone's parts, but there is a difference between these two wings. The base is longer in the front and overall the whole wing is wider.

For some reason, you think I'm arguing with you or fighting with you. To me, we are having a constructive discussion and having fun at the same time :)    I love that word abberation........ fun word.

Oh, and don't get mad. we're having fun.  You guys dish it out all the time, so you can take a little too. Remember when you threw the fat lady on Dane's wing? same thing applies here with the abberation wing picture.

hotrod98

Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 31, 2006, 05:17:49 PM
i think he's talking about unique movie props . they've got some nice wing cars on there website plus some cool bat phones.

Rene,
That's the guy. After talking to Janek about his bird wing, I realized that I needed to buy the steel wing from Don instead. Turns out his steel wing is around the same price as Janek's fiberglass wing. He builds 5 sets at a time to keep cost down. He just finished his steel plug for the back glass. I'm impressed enough that I've decided to go ahead and do the back glass as well. I'll finish it out though and not use a vinyl top.
As soon as he gets the daytona stuff ready I'll get them as well.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

hey Larry sounds very cool. did you see the black daytona on there site sweeeeeeeeet!

did you see the bat phones?

thallium

Quote from: BigBlockSam on January 31, 2006, 12:12:54 PM
Tabor well said. what are you gonna do with the motor stock? how did the  stinger nose fit to tthe fenders?

Rene, I picked up a 440 for $300 when I bought the car. I've pulled the dip stick and there is a little bit of metal on the dip stick. When I tear open the motor if the crank is wasted, I'll end up getting a stroker crank 4.15.  If the crank is fine, i'll build a 440. 

Actually the nose cone is from the guy in Canada. Showcars body parts. It fit really nice and looks really mean on the car. I'll get some pictures next time I have it on the car.

BigBlockSam

Yea baby, Stroker! yea we share that need for speed. i'm gonna put out some extra bucks  and have this motor dyno'ed. i always wanted to do that. have it broken in and tuned before i install it. i'm hoping to get  about 450 hp at the crank. Rene

dayclona

Quote from: thallium on January 31, 2006, 10:59:22 PM
Quote from: chargervert on January 31, 2006, 05:00:05 PM
For your information Mikes wing is correct in every detail to my original wing,which FYI was the template for it! Maybe you may want to take a closer look before you bash someones parts who is far more informed about wingcars,than you,me or Dane!

Hey fine, if you say your wing is original than it's original.  You say maybe I need to take a closer look before bashing someones parts. Okay, I'm taking a closer look. Look for yourself.....  I'm not here to bash anyone's parts, but there is a difference between these two wings. The base is longer in the front and overall the whole wing is wider.

For some reason, you think I'm arguing with you or fighting with you. To me, we are having a constructive discussion and having fun at the same time :)    I love that word abberation........ fun word.

Oh, and don't get mad. we're having fun.  You guys dish it out all the time, so you can take a little too. Remember when you threw the fat lady on Dane's wing? same thing applies here with the abberation wing picture.

Oh Tallium, when you compare pics, try to get ones on the same angle, incase your not aware, a "wing" can appear shorter, taller, wider, etc as the camera angle, or type of lens varies.............................but my tape measure dose not!, I've had the oppertunity to measure a few of those solid cast "Dane" wings, the bases vary by a 1/2 inch, the height, varies to 1/2'- 1" shorter than originals, and there's no need to justify this , as each and every "solid cast" wing will vary do to circumstances beyond ones control when casting these wings, and dressing them out also, very much like the originals....................also was Dane letting them use his fiberglass wing as the pattern to sand cast the repro?.......Hmmmm?????????................................and as far as "throwing" the fat lady up on a wing!..............more like a crane "lowered" her on! :icon_smile_big:   .............watch out Tallium, you might wake up one morning, and find "Miss LuLu" stress testing your wing! :icon_smile_blackeye: you can now resume building that "abberation" of a daytona!

Mike G/ DAYCLONA

PS.........Tallium, your computers IP #, has been on my DAYCLONA website 142 times, I guess you must be taking notes, or wishful thinking?.....................and yes I can correlate all IP's that visit, what they download/ veiw, # of hits per day, week, month,etc.........and so much more!

hotrod98

When I start a thread, I consider it a compliment when other people post on it. Tabor's our daytona abberation friend and I don't think he gets very upset...well except when people tell him he's doing something wrong. If I think someone's doing something wrong, I'll pm them and keep that conversation private.  I find that these threads tell me a lot about the people that post on them.
Heck, at least we're talking about the clones...uhh...I mean abberations.  ;D

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

Quote  I'm just shocked though at the pissin' thats going on between whats right and whats wrong in building a clone. 
:iagree:

never use to happen. i wonder why it happens now?  :rant:

i thought the difference in wing bottoms were because they were all hand finished originally , so there would be differences, thats what someone that is very knowledgeable about wing cars told my bud. Rene

hotrod98

Mark,
I'm like a lot of the guys here. If I still had all of the musclecars that I've owned throughout the years, I would never have to work again. Now I have a few matching #'s cars, a few non #'s cars and a few clones. Some of these cars I've held on to for family members and the rest will go to my two children. People are still bringing cars by the dealership because someone told them that I buy mopars. That's how I bought the rust free california 74 charger. I just couldn't say no. My biggest problem though is not having enough time to restore and maintain them.
BTW, what parts do you need for your car? I just found a steel trunk lid reinforcement panel. I'm going to take it by a shop here and see if they can reproduce it. Would be a lot better than those fg pieces for sure. If they can build it, I'll just let people buy it at my cost plus shipping. I'll probably be building some more of those wing braces as well.

Charles Addams

chargervert

Hey Thallium, I tried to offer a few suggestions to help you with your headlights,I suggested making your covers removable,and mounting your lights recessed. Thats not the way I am doing mine,but I thought it may work for you,since it sounded to me like you did not want to spend the cash to buy the parts that are available to make them function properly! Then I suggested you look at the way daytonalo,did his headlight set up,which is also not the way I am doing mine either,but he made it work! I thought these suggestions would help you out! I wasn't bashing anyone,the next thing I know,I get Everyone jumping on my shit for making a couple of suggestions! Believe me I can take whatever I or anyone else dishes out! I don't let what people say bother me too much,I just lob it right back at them! I don't think things like working headlights should be a luxury,they are a necessary! I go to a lot of cruise nights with my cars,and I need my lights to get home almost every time! I have put up with my fair share of bullshit,while trying to offer some information,that I believe you guys will find valuable. I have had to do,then redo my car to make it as original,and that was my choice to do so! You may choose to use some of the tips and info,I pass on to you from my experiences,or not listen to any of it,that is your choice,but atleast it was offered to you guys!And maybe when you leave the cruise night,and flip that headlight switch,and drive home safely without endangering you,your car,or anyone else,you will think about the tips the other guys gave you to help you with your project,that is what this forum is for! Sometimes we really hash it out here!,theres a few people who called me obscene names,and wont speak to me anymore,that don't bother me,hell,I hear that shit all day at the prison where I work! I'm pretty hard to offend! I know not everyone can afford to,or,wants to spend the money on the high end wingcar parts! I thought Daytonalo,is doing an excellent job building his car on a budget! It's not the way I am doing mine,but it still works for him,and it will function well too! I still make recommendations to him,he may not agree with me,but it may make him rethink a part,and maybe try it another way,even if it is not what I suggested! I had my differences with Dave about the parts problem I had on my car,from a vendor who happens to be a friend of his,but I can still respect the info that Dave brings to the threads,he has a lot of good information,about wingcars,and has been collecting it for a lot of years!You can build your car anyway you want,and if it works thats great,if it fails,don't say that we didn't tell you so! If you don't mind,I will offer my input,good,bad or indifferent,to try to help you out with your project! I'm not independantly wealthy either,I don't think I would be working at the jail if I was,but I have found that the key to getting a wingcar clone that will last,isn't how much money you spend to build it,but more of spending what you have alloted for the project wisely! Good luck with the project! P.S. on the lighter side,you wouldn't want to see Lu Lu sitting up there on the wing beside you,would you! :icon_smile_big:Just kidding!