News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stripe Delete Daytona?

Started by WingCharger, August 29, 2008, 08:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingCharger

Could you have ordered a Daytona with stripe delete, and get the big R/T Symbol on the quarter? Since they didnt make a Daytona emblem, like they did for R/T, I dont know if they would have let it be ordered? :shruggy:

hotrod98

Now my question...could you order a black Daytona with a black stripe and wing?  I say no since I've never seen one.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

pettybird

could you special order the wing color at all?

Daytona R/T SE

Could you special order a Daytona at all ?

PocketThunder

Hmmm, since all Daytonas were ordered stripe delete, and they were based on the R/T, and when the R/T was ordered V88, did all the Chargers that went to Creative Industries for conversion have the R/T emblem on the quarter panels?  Or did the factory know that it was destined to be a Daytona and therefor leave the R/T emblem off and not drill the holes for it?

Good question Wingo.  Your stepping up your game kiddo..  :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

65post

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 29, 2008, 10:55:20 PM
Hmmm, since all Daytonas were ordered stripe delete, and they were based on the R/T, and when the R/T was ordered V88, did all the Chargers that went to Creative Industries for conversion have the R/T emblem on the quarter panels?  Or did the factory know that it was destined to be a Daytona and therefor leave the R/T emblem off and not drill the holes for it?

I have always wondered about that same thing.I know on my old winger I checked for holes where the R/T emblems would have been and there were never any holes that I could find.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

Hemidog

I always thought they used regular chargers, because of the arrow symbol on the tail panel  :shruggy:

C500

I have read somewhere that some of the Daytonas and 500's had the drill holes for the R/T badges on the quarters.... I think I read that here somewhere????
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Ghoste

Quote from: Hemidog on August 30, 2008, 02:07:22 AM
I always thought they used regular chargers, because of the arrow symbol on the tail panel  :shruggy:

They basically started as RT's, in fact some of the earliest 500's do not have the "XX" on their vin tags but rather the "XS" of the RT.

WingCharger

Sweet! A compliment! Actually I did not know that they were order like that. Learn something every day! Most of the stuff I have learned about Mopar is thanks to this forum. Just two monthes ago, before I joined, I thought they made six pack Daytonas. :smilielol: Hey, I just got really interested in it a little over a year ago, leaving '55 Chevys. (Yes, a sin here, but a mechanic down from me had a '55 that was the fastest car in the county.)

I do have another question though (Of course):
On a vin tag decoder I had found several monthes ago, when XX parts of the vin was typed in, is said "Daytona, Charger 500, Misc. Fastback". What would "Misc. Fastback" mean? :shruggy:
Did they test a fastback charger, with everything else normal, before the 500?

pettybird

v88 meant EVERYTHING.  no grille ornament, no stripe, no badge.  it's all laid out in the technical manual that Creative used.

'birds got the same treatment, with no holes drilled in the side "scoops" on the quarter panels. 

pettyfan43

I had a 69 R/T (my first Charger) F8 green black top and interior and it was a V88 Stripe delete car. Had the quarter emblems and all originally, I really wish I had kept that one. 

I registered the car with the Dodge Charger Registry and Wayne Wooten called me to verify that the car WASN'T a 500 because the build date was right at the beginning of 500 production and the two cars he had registered on either side of my car were 500s. We figured most likely the vinyl top kept the car from getting a flat rear window. I WOULD still have that one if THAT had happened!!!!!!

Ghoste

Quote from: WingCharger on August 30, 2008, 07:49:29 AM
I do have another question though (Of course):
On a vin tag decoder I had found several monthes ago, when XX parts of the vin was typed in, is said "Daytona, Charger 500, Misc. Fastback". What would "Misc. Fastback" mean? :shruggy:
Did they test a fastback charger, with everything else normal, before the 500?

No.  Well, technically the 66-67 fastbacks were stuck in a wind tunnel but they were all XP cars.

hemigeno

Quote from: WingCharger on August 29, 2008, 08:45:48 PM
Could you have ordered a Daytona with stripe delete,

Yes, it was hypothetically possible to order a stripe-delete Daytona.  In that instance, the wing would be painted body color.  I have heard rumors that at least one such car was built, but have seen no documentation or Day One pictures to validate its stripe-delete status.  The paperwork I have says that it was at least possible, so I would never say such a car does not exist.

and get the big R/T Symbol on the quarter?

Every Daytona (except for one that I know of) and most (if not all) C500s built were coded with the V88 stripe-delete code.  For an R/T, that would normally have meant the installation of the cast R/T emblem.  Part of the Hamtramck factory build instructions, was to eliminate the R/T emblem on the A11 (C500 and Daytona) cars.  A few cars did get the emblem installed despite the instructions - big shock there...   ::) , but it wasn't supposed to happen.

Since they didnt make a Daytona emblem, like they did for R/T, I dont know if they would have let it be ordered? :shruggy:

Even though the stripe was the only place on a Daytona where the name was spelled out, according to the documents, a stripe-delete car was still possible.  It's not like the wing & nosecone would cause it to be confused with anything else, would it??   :P

Hmmm, since all Daytonas were ordered stripe delete, and they were based on the R/T, and when the R/T was ordered V88, did all the Chargers that went to Creative Industries for conversion have the R/T emblem on the quarter panels? Or did the factory know that it was destined to be a Daytona and therefor leave the R/T emblem off and not drill the holes for it?

The factory pre-designated all but one of the Daytonas ahead of time, meaning that they were not randomly selected from the line (as I had read somewhere many years ago).  Hamtramck had clear instructions about how to build the cars prior to shipping them over to Creative Industries for conversion, and that included leaving off the entire grille assembly,  as well as the quarterpanel emblems or tailstripe.  Chrysler had to pay Creative for every little "extra" thing they had to do (you should see some of the ticky-tack charges they sent through), and I'm sure that filling in and finishing off holes where the emblems used to be was not in their gameplan.

I've seen pictures of original cars with filler holes where the quarterpanel emblems used to be, so I know that some repair work was done - whether that was done by/at Creative Industries or not, I do not know.  A couple of those cars had R/T emblems in the tailpanel (rather than the standard Charger & arrowhead emblem), which were left in place rather than refinish the Organosol textured black paint around the taillights.

Hamtramck keyed off of the A11 code more than the V88 code.  There were R/Ts that were coded with V88, and those cars got the emblems.  A11 + V88 = no quarterpanel emblem.

C500s and Daytonas were sorta like R/Ts, but when it came to the trim & callouts, they were handled differently by Hamtramck.  They were earmarked for conversion, that's for sure.  The exception that proves the rule (every rule has an exception, doesn't it??) is 287970...

Quote from: pettybird on August 29, 2008, 09:36:06 PM
could you special order the wing color at all?

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 29, 2008, 10:43:25 PM
Could you special order a Daytona at all ?

Daytonas could indeed be special-ordered.  Bob Kerbs' B5 HemiDaytona is the best example of such.  However, the people who did order a Daytona did so without ever having seen one in person.  The entire batch was built at Hamtramck before the first one ever left Creative Industries, so it had to be a very determined individual to make that happen.  Mr. Kerbs was one of those rare individuals.

As far as the stripe color selectiongoes, here is exactly what the factory paperwork says (verbatim):

"Special stripe will be added in conversion if desired, color of stripe, Red, White or Black, or "Omit Stripe" instruction must be provided by Dodge Plant Distribution to Modification Company"

Hope this helps explain things a little better.  I had about half of this typed up on Saturday morning, but I got in a hurry and clicked the wrong button.  *poof*  There went about 20 minutes worth of research and typing.  I didn't have time to re-do things until now, sorry for the delay.

:Twocents:

pettybird