News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This will stump you. What the heck are these?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, August 30, 2008, 09:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I met Paul (69 0ur/T) at a great mopar show over the weekend, very nice guy ( where are the pictures Paul? ), and he noticed these odd plates as seen in the picture.  I noticed them as I painted them along with the engine compartment over the cold winter, but I never thought they were probably not supposed to be there?  Why would theses plates be on top of that section?  He thought someone tore the threaded part for the hood bumper screw, but there were no hood bumper screws when I got the car.  I had to order those.  Any ideas?  I don't think my fender tag is correct but it says the car had hood pins.  I thought maybe those plates were an reinforcement for the hood pin?  I don't think so as there are drilled or punched holes on the large black, whatever it's called cover that runs from fender to fender.  Thoughts? :shruggy:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Charger-Bodie

Id say Paul is right, Why they ripped out the threaded insert I dont know but.......  :shruggy:   :scratchchin:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1hot68 on August 30, 2008, 10:13:01 AM
Id say Paul is right, Why they ripped out the threaded insert I dont know but.......  :shruggy:   :scratchchin:
Hmmmm, let me go pull one stud out and take another picture.  Be back.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

terrible one

They sure do look ideal for supporting hood pins to me, but I've not even heard of anything like that on the hood pin cars. However, that was the FACTORY location for the pins, right? Where the hood bumper would be?

1969chargerrtse

Well, one side had a torn or missing nut and I just put a nut on the underside.   :shruggy:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Out of the over 1700 cars I have registered only 5 were coded for the J45 option.
I still dont have a good shot of a hood pin mounting location.  Im not 100% sure where the pins were located originally
This pic is from an original V2 car with the V21 Hood performance treatment & the hood pins.
This is an unmolested original hood as well.....

Rob, I can pretty much be sure that the pins werent located in the grill frame like you have your holes punched in....your car very well might have truly been coded for the pins

Where do the Daytona pins mount :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

UFO

[quote ]

In place of a existing bolt.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on August 30, 2008, 08:15:50 PM
Out of the over 1700 cars I have registered only 5 were coded for the J45 option.
I still don't have a good shot of a hood pin mounting location.  I'm not 100% sure where the pins were located originally
This pic is from an original V2 car with the V21 Hood performance treatment & the hood pins.

Rob, I can pretty much be sure that the pins weren't located in the grill frame like you have your holes punched in....your car very well might have truly been coded for the pins

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, the hood was changed for this repaint?  Possibly because the original hood had holes in it?  If only I could get some original pictures of the car way back when.  I wrote DMV in CA and they told me John Marcs owned it about 15 years ago.  Past owner said he found it in Bell Flower Ca and that's all I know, which is worthless.  Oh well.  Whatever.

craigandlynda

i had a 69 1/2 superbee w liftoff fiberglass hood...this looks VERY familiar...are ther any plates up near the cowl area where pins might have once been?

Rolling_Thunder

The A12 rear mounts bolt in place of the factory hood hinges....   

Mopar did some weird things with hood pins...     it varried from car model to car model...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: craigandlynda on August 30, 2008, 11:28:50 PM
i had a 69 1/2 superbee w liftoff fiberglass hood...this looks VERY familiar...are ther any plates up near the cowl area where pins might have once been?
No, because it's a Charger and they didn't have lift off hoods.

1969chargerrtse

I still dont have a good shot of a hood pin mounting location.  Im not 100% sure where the pins were located originally

Rob, I can pretty much be sure that the pins werent located in the grill frame like you have your holes punched in....your car very well might have truly been coded for the pins

So how do have that picture with the hood closed, but no shot of it open?

hemi-hampton

I know the Cuda's had a plate bolted in that same area for hood pins but the plate & pins kinda overhanged ouitwards from the core support. LEON.

Rob R

Those are brackets off an A12 car that someone bolted on there... :Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Rob R on August 31, 2008, 01:26:52 PM
Those are brackets off an A12 car that someone bolted on there... :Twocents:
Oh, thanks. Why? :shruggy:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 31, 2008, 07:38:44 AM

Yeah I do but it doesn't show the pins :(
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on September 01, 2008, 08:14:54 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 31, 2008, 07:38:44 AM

Yeah I do but it doesn't show the pins :(
Oh Man!!!!! :rofl:  :RantExplode:

Hemidog

Just noticed blue69's car:

FLG

Hemi,

I dont think blues car has the plates, look carefully think your eyes are playing tricks...or maybe its my eyes? lol

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

gasoline_24

Is this a 1969 thing?  I have just gone through this with my 68.  When you try to put a 69 hood onto a 68 the reinforcement plate edge lands right on the center of the bumper.  This would make sense if these were on 69s and moved the bumper back to catch the reinforcement plate.  Just my thoughts. :scratchchin: :ahum: :think:

Hemidog