News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A Superbird in a farm field? Can it be true in 2008? Nope, not yet.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, August 31, 2008, 07:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I always talk about rare cars still being " out there".  I was talking to a friend a month ago and he mentioned about a Super Bird sitting in a field in my town or the town next to me?  What? :shruggy:  How can that be?  Anyone with an IQ above 1 would snatch it up.  I thought about it here and there and that was that.  This morning I took the Charger to Dunkin Donuts ( because they take Credit cards for any amount, long story )  I'm outside chit chatting with some guys when we talk about people we know.  One guy is Jim.  Seems Jim has not only a Super bird from way back when but just found a 70 Hemi Charger all beat up in the inner city of Bridgeport where I work!  I drive around all day long dreaming of that same scenario.  The kid tells me the owner gave it to him to get it out of there.  Trust me I will check into that today as I have Jim's number.
Anyway, while talking about Jim and all his toys, I mentioned how Jim told me there was a Super bird sitting in a field somewhere near me but he couldn't remember where?  The kid says " I know where it is "  You do?  Yep, and he tells me where it is.  I've been to where he tells me as a kid.  So I drove by there just now and outside is a 64ish Ford wagon that has been sitting there for decades.  He claims the bird is out there on the farm.  Trust me I will make calls today to people that know the place and if I have to I will make a visit sometime when the sun don't shine. :D   I can't believe this is true but I promise to get back to this thread about what I find out.  My God, a 70 Super bird sitting in a farm in this day and age?  5 mins from me! In a Mopar town to boot?  WoW.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

WingCharger

WOW!!!!!!!!

You better get the Bird if it is there!

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

1969chargerrtse

I would donate my left nut for a Super bird.  I love 69 chargers, but I looooooooove  70 Super birds. Words can't describe how much I love the Daytona's.  I'm sure it's trashed, rusted to the ground etc, but....... Trust me if it's out there the least I will have are night time pictures.  I'll make calls today and stop by the house later.  I'm told they are not friendly, we shall see.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

WingCharger

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 31, 2008, 07:43:41 AM
I would donate my left nut for a Super bird.  I love 69 chargers, but I looooooooove  70 Super birds.  I'm sure it's trashed, rusted to the ground etc, but....... Trust me if it's out there the least I will have are night time pictures.  I'll make calls today and stop by the house later.  I'm told they are not friendly, we shall see.

Even if it is rusted to the ground, the previous owner might have had the sense to cover it with a tarp. ;)
If it is way to far to save, buy the shell, and put it in your garage. Dont let it move, and leave your garage door open. See how many people stop.

tan top

:drool5:   :o ...pictures dude ..wow this is a  awesome discovery if  true ........ :popcrn: :yesnod:    would like to see some pictures of the 70 HEMI charger ...thats is stuff dreams are made of  :'( :drool5: 

just an idea  google earth or something for a aerial picture of the farm  :scope: ............... :popcrn:   
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: tan top on August 31, 2008, 07:54:33 AM
:drool5:   :o ...pictures dude ..wow this is a  awesome discovery if  true ........ :popcrn: :yesnod:    would like to see some pictures of the 70 HEMI charger ...thats is stuff dreams are made of  :'( :drool5: 

just an idea  google earth or something for a aerial picture of the farm  :scope: ............... :popcrn:   
What a cool idea. I'm gonna drive back out there now and grab the address.  That's almost funny.  Imagine seeing it in the picture?   :hah:

tan top

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on August 31, 2008, 07:57:01 AM
Quote from: tan top on August 31, 2008, 07:54:33 AM

What a cool idea. I'm gonna drive back out there now and grab the address.  That's almost funny.  Imagine seeing it in the picture?   :hah:

:yesnod:  ........................ :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

mikepmcs

tan, I had kind of a similar story about a guy that lives down the street from me with a SB.  I don't suggest the google earth thing though due to privacy invasion.  I did the google earth thing on that guys place and was quickly put in my place by a few members here and rightfully so.  I guess I wouldn't want people posting pics of my house if I had some highly desirable stuff like that.  Just my  :Twocents:

Good luck on the SB sighting though .
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

tan top

yeah thats true mike  :scratchchin: perhaps i should delete the post ... see i never thought of that ... just got a bit carried away  :slap:

Charger Stuff 

mikepmcs

so did I at the time, it seemed harmless enough and I was too excited.  Still haven't seen the bird(s) but am still told he owns it.  I just gave up because he's very private due to a recent(ugly divorce).

here is my original post

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28460.0.html

Hope 1969chargerrtse has better luck than I did.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: tan top on August 31, 2008, 08:03:25 AM
yeah thats true mike  :scratchchin: perhaps i should delete the post ... see i never thought of that ... just got a bit carried away  :slap:
I don't really fine it " privacy invasion " and have no problem with someone doing it to me.  Well, I stopped at a neighbors house from the farm.  He knows them well and knows of NO SB there.  There is a rusted 66ish Chevy conv behind the house and the wagon.  He said the guy is real nice but wouldn't part with a rusted nail as he is a pack rat.  So for now, it looks like it's not there, but I will swing by later and ask.  I do remember Jim telling me that the SB is still out there but it was off of another road.  So when I call him to see if the Hemi story is true ( I think not also ) I'll ask him about the SB again and tell him where I was told it was and get back to you guys.  My buddy did tell me of a 64 GTO 4 spd car in a barn that is original mint condition that is selling the house, and it was the grand mothers car and they are giving it to a family member in PA.  I have no need for that car.

SFRT

you never know. Last weekend I went into a gargae under an apt building 3 blocks from my house. in there, in perfect running order , under tarps are:

1 1970 barracuda
1 73 Challenger
some 70's  model ferrari
a pristine late 1930's ford pickup
a convertible 1970 or 1969 Coronet 500
and a wicked 69 4 speed black corvette.

1 guy owns them all. turns out he has about 10 other similiar quality cars of all makes stashed around town in rented garages. they all run.

you never know where its going to show up. never.

this is a  nondescript building I have driven or walked past every day for 15 years.

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RallyeMike

Always follow a lead and have cash ready. Go !!!!

Unbelievably, rare cars are still out there. I know of an A12 Superbee sitting in a field. It's just in a place where it's near impossible to see behind a shed. Motor/trans/and dana are gone, but the fiberglass hood is still there. So yes, it's possible.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

1969chargerrtse

Well, I went.  NO SB.  He did have a 70 Chevelle and a 65 Chebby conv that he sold for 500.00 each to a body shop friend of mine.  That means had the bird been there, he would of grabbed it.  This guy found a 69 El camino 396/375 car/ truck Hugger orange, pw, unrestored sitting under a tree.  Nice guy, I asked him if he wanted me to post it on ebay for 500.00 for parts?  He's thinking about it.  I'll call Jim later about the hemi story and ask again about the SB.

hotrod98

Quote from: WingCharger on August 31, 2008, 07:51:18 AM
I would donate my left nut for a Super bird.  I love 69 chargers, but I looooooooove  70 Super birds.  I'm sure it's trashed, rusted to the ground etc, but....... Trust me if it's out there the least I will have are night time pictures.  I'll make calls today and stop by the house later.  I'm told they are not friendly, we shall see.

Even if it is rusted to the ground, the previous owner might have had the sense to cover it with a tarp. ;)
If it is way to far to save, buy the shell, and put it in your garage. Dont let it move, and leave your garage door open. See how many people stop.

Don't ever place a tarp over a car stored outside unless you're in a very dry (desert) part of the country. You'll do more harm than good. The tarp retains moisture and will destroy the car. I covered a 70 barracuda convert with a tarp a few years ago and it ruined the dash cluster. Also, I had two 63 Plymouths stored, one had a trunk lid and the other didn't. The one with the trunk lid had rust in the trunk floor and the one without a trunk lid had a solid trunk floor. 
The one without the trunk lid was able to dry out once the rain stopped whereas the one with the trunk lid just stayed moist alll of the time.
Storing a car properly is sort of complicated. For instance, leave the sun visors down and the mice won't jump onto them and eat holes in the headliner.  :2thumbs:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

WingCharger

Quote from: hotrod98 on August 31, 2008, 11:30:25 AM
Quote from: WingCharger on August 31, 2008, 07:51:18 AM

Don't ever place a tarp over a car stored outside unless you're in a very dry (desert) part of the country. You'll do more harm than good. The tarp retains moisture and will destroy the car. I covered a 70 barracuda convert with a tarp a few years ago and it ruined the dash cluster. Also, I had two 63 Plymouths stored, one had a trunk lid and the other didn't. The one with the trunk lid had rust in the trunk floor and the one without a trunk lid had a solid trunk floor. 
The one without the trunk lid was able to dry out once the rain stopped whereas the one with the trunk lid just stayed moist alll of the time.
Storing a car properly is sort of complicated. For instance, leave the sun visors down and the mice won't jump onto them and eat holes in the headliner.  :2thumbs:

I know you shouldnt cover a car with tarp! I said that just as joke mainly. What self respecting person would park a Super Bird in the middle of a field, but then take the effort to cover it with a tarp? ;)

Chad L. Magee

Rare cars are still out there to find, if you are persistant (and lucky) in the right area.  Almost fifteen years ago, I found a Superbird in a KS junkyard, but it was not for sale.  It was little more than a rusty, stripped-down shell with the PLYMOUTH callouts down the sides.  The owners had used it as a parts car for one of their other projects, but still held onto the car for old times sake.  I lost track of it over the years and have no idea where it went since then (I lost interest when I found out it was not for sale).  I have quite a few finds like that, but rarely do they pan out the way I wanted them to (OK, a few did over the years, but not as many as I would have liked, some still haunt me).  Read either "Cobra In A Barn" or "Hemi In A Barn" and you will soon see that many people find rare, valuable cars by actively searching around odd places...... 

As for the late night visitations that was mentioned previously in the posts, I would advise against that as some farmers are not too trusting of midnight intrusions into their property.  I know some farmers (they store some of my projects) that take the old addage "Shoot first, ask later" literally when it comes to tresspassers.  So, be on the safer side and ask permission first........

As for recent finds, I might have found the remains of what once was a 1962-3 Max Wedge car (hood scoop was sitting in a local machine shop, they had used it for parts on another car recently).  That is an active hunt, so I will let everyone in if it pans out.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

mikepmcs

As for the late night visitations that was mentioned previously in the posts, I would advise against that as some farmers are not too trusting of midnight intrusions into their property.  I know some farmers (they store some of my projects) that take the old addage "Shoot first, ask later" literally when it comes to tresspassers.  So, be on the safer side and ask permission first........

Sooo true, i'm no farmer but I adhere to that 2nd amendment myself.  Everything is loaded and ready to roll. :2thumbs:

TheAutoArchaeologist

You never know, look at the rare stuff I've found in barns....  Superbird, Daytona, Hemi Cuda, Charger R/T's, Challenger R/Ts, if you have the drive, you can find them.

Found this a few years ago in a farmers barn....

Found these today... 3 66' Chargers, 73 442 Cutlass, 57 Chevy, misc other stuff.... just from a story I heard.

Check out my website for more pics and adventures.

Ryan

WingCharger

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.