News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ROUGH SUPERBIRD FOR SALE

Started by BigBlockSam, September 06, 2008, 08:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

WingCharger

:o

Whenever you find a rough wing car, the wing and nose have alway been torn off, and sold to cloners. That really makes me mad. Really rough car too. No fender tag or build sheet. How do you know it is a SuperBird?

gtx6970

Why do I hear Taps playing the background

PocketThunder

Hey not to far from me!  I could get two cars of the Aero car collection in the same condition.....  :-\
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

WingCharger

Quote from: gtx6970 on September 06, 2008, 09:02:18 PM

Lost but never forgotten. Make me want to cry. :'( :icon_smile_big:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: gtx6970 on September 06, 2008, 09:02:18 PM

No problem...    I got a welder...    seriously - I could fix that bad boy up
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Daytona R/T SE

I have the technology to rebuild it.  :2thumbs:

Yep, I could fix it... but it would have to be bought CHEAP ! 

That thing is missing $20K worth of parts  :eek2:

hotrod98

Where are our experts to tell us that this is a real superbird?

I have a real wing. In fact I have just about everything that this car needs. Most of it is repro stuff though.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Redbird

The evidence suggests it is a real Superbird. To say it isn't because it doesn't have a broadcast sheet or fender tag ignores what is presented. If the car can be saved given it's condition and the restoration costs that would be needed is another matter.

Supporting that it is a "real" car based on the pictures-it appears. 1.) it is on the nascar list 2.) it is a 2dr ht 3.) it appears to be one of the right exterior colors 4.) it appears to have one of the right interior combinations seat/color of door tops 5.) it has the rear plug and evidence of putty 6.) the vinyl roof is cut right at the A pillars 7.) it has 3 way wipers 8.) firewall has correct knock-out for the vacuum hose 9.) drilled for vacuum can 10.) nose braces there 11.) not an AC firewall 12.) brace on the radiator support for latch tray 13.) it is a console auto not a 3 on the tree or 3 on the floor. 14.) quarters drilled for wing

Additional items that could better support it being a real car. 1.) evidence of trunk rail serial # 2.) evidence of radiator support serial # (or blank as not all cars have this) 3.) original door tag 4.) pictures of trunk showing wing support parts and jack stud. 5.) picture of A pillar showing 2 screw holes. 6.) evidence of front disk brakes

Lack of title-big problem. Cost for return-big problem. You'd want to document everything that was actually there b4youbuy, and pay based on that. Buyer beware.

WingCharger

I have always wondered, why do you see so many rotting/burnt/destroyed Wing Cars, when so few (2,000-) were built? Do they attract bad luck, or what?

nascarxx29

Englishtown NJ superbird.That was found in Old bridge by Bill 440 RT
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,40368.0.html
The vin is RM23VOA177585 its a real superbird and is tagged in this condition .It left NJ appears now to be in MN

VIN  NO.  RECEIVED DATE  SHIPPED DATE  REMARKS 
RM23V0A177585  1266  4-Dec  4-Dec   

VIN - The SuperBird's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
NO. - The sequential number assigned to the VIN in the serial number list.
RECEIVED DATE - The day and month of 1969 when the SuperBird was received at the Clairpointe Pre-Production facility where the nose and wing were to be installed.
SHIPPED DATE - The day and month of 1969 when the SuperBird left the Clairpointe Pre-Production facility.
REMARKS - Only a very few VINs have information here; normally remarks were necessary when a car required repair.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

No buildsheet or fender tag the 6 pack motor shown in the ad has AC brackets and pulleys..What do you forsee see this going for.The best bet is run the DMV vin or tag shown laying near car on back bumper 80-ish blue NJ plate 028-PMV.To find owner and title .Or try for a mail order title.

But still, a real " project car". Besides lack of documentation, non-matching motor, no nose , missing wing,Cheaper to build a clone

Redbird

These were once everyday cars. I drove one of my Superbirds to college a lot of days. I drove it to Target when I needed to pick up something (I grew up close to the 1st Target in the country). I remember a 435 HP Vette in the Target parking lot quite often too.

Some cars were "pickled". Folks thought they were potential collectors.

Others-Folks had the ordinary everyday accidents with them. Plus being used daily they wore out. Kids jumped up and down on the seats. Rust out after 5 years. Build quality was....well ....not so good. They went to the junkyard. Folks stripped them for parts. Then someone saw that, drum roll, it was a winged car. Folks bought what was left and put it in the back 40. Barrett-Jackson suggested the hulk or "debris field" car must be worth $. These cars trade, people don't realize how expensive they are to fix up. If this guy bought the NJ car, got it home, he may have soon seen too much work for any return-more likley money loser. Looking for a new owner.

Doug has a lot of serial #'s in his list. So the percentage of cars still around is very high. Someone often saw that there was "something special" here. If you look at the percentage of winged cars still around compared to other performance cars, '69 Road Runners, it is high. In a lot of ways they were lucky.

WingCharger

Quote from: Redbird on September 07, 2008, 11:23:32 AM
These were once everyday cars. I drove one of my Superbirds to college a lot of days. I drove it to Target when I needed to pick up something (I grew up close to the 1st Target in the country). I remember a 435 HP Vette in the Target parking lot quite often too.

Some cars were "pickled". Folks thought they were potential collectors.

Others-Folks had the ordinary everyday accidents with them. Plus being used daily they wore out. Kids jumped up and down on the seats. Rust out after 5 years. Build quality was....well ....not so good. They went to the junkyard. Folks stripped them for parts. Then someone saw that, drum roll, it was a winged car. Folks bought what was left and put it in the back 40. Barrett-Jackson suggested the hulk or "debris field" car must be worth $. These cars trade, people don't realize how expensive they are to fix up. If this guy bought the NJ car, got it home, he may have soon seen too much work for any return-more likley money loser. Looking for a new owner.

Doug has a lot of serial #'s in his list. So the percentage of cars still around is very high. Someone often saw that there was "something special" here. If you look at the percentage of winged cars still around compared to other performance cars, '69 Road Runners, it is high. In a lot of ways they were lucky.

A wing car would be the ultimate daily driver!!

I would love to build a cheap daytona or superbird clone, using the cheapest parts, and a car too far to save, doing only the wing and nose, and then enter it in a Demo Derby at the county fair, and see the looks on peoples faces! :smilielol:
Maybe my future daytona clone will be daily driven in the summer? Or all year? Who knows? Just need some heavy undercoating.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Blown70

RENE,  this is who I bought my recent 69 (luci) from,  He is a very good guy will a lot of knowledge.  He has many, MANY mopars around his show,  he does bodywork.

WHen I arrived to pick up the charger he was drving a 06 RED VIPER....

Let me know if you have questions.  I am 4 hours away, PT is closer.

BTW, when I was there he was RESTOING a HEMI Road Runner BLACK!!!

Tom

hotrod98

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 07, 2008, 11:34:14 AM
i'm tempted to bid .  :scratchchin:

I see this one going to 30K or higher since it's a V code car.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 07, 2008, 01:46:26 PM
Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 07, 2008, 11:34:14 AM
i'm tempted to bid .  :scratchchin:

I see this one going to 30K or higher since it's a V code car.
wish i had the 30 k cause I got all the stuff to make it right

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Blown70

Well guys again this is not too far from MINNE.  PT would have about an hours drive I have 4.

More than happy to talk to Corey (seller) if anyone wishes, and help in anyway I could.

Tom,  If you are a long ways out and do buy I do have a shop to store it in too.

Tom

BigBlockSam

QuoteLet me know if you have questions.  I am 4 hours away, PT is closer.

thanks Bro  but i couldn't go over 15k . Rene

pettybird

Quote from: WingCharger on September 07, 2008, 11:28:57 AM

it loses its charm after a while...commute in the July-August sun on enough 90 degree days and you'll wonder what all the fuss is about.  I drove the petty blue car for my daily the summer I got out of high school.  never again. 

daytonalo

MOST OF THAT STUFF WILL BUFF OUT !!!!!!!!!!!

WingCharger

Quote from: daytonalo on September 07, 2008, 08:42:23 PM
MOST OF THAT STUFF WILL BUFF OUT !!!!!!!!!!!

Those bruises heal yet?

Quote from: pettybird on September 07, 2008, 03:07:09 PM
Quote from: WingCharger on September 07, 2008, 11:28:57 AM

it loses its charm after a while...commute in the July-August sun on enough 90 degree days and you'll wonder what all the fuss is about.  I drove the petty blue car for my daily the summer I got out of high school.  never again. 

Well, if my clone has a newer 5.7L with A/C, and a white interior, I think I would do fine. :icon_smile_big:
Yes, it is all at this point a dream, but I still cant stop thinking about it.

BigBlockSam

WingCharger

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 07, 2008, 09:07:46 PM
dreams can come true .

Well, here is a simple 6 step program to make your dreams come true. Simply mail in $19.95.
1. Get '69 or '70 Charger
2. Fix Sheetmetal
3. Add Daytona Parts
4. Swap in 5.7L Hemi
5. Heavy Undercoat
6. Paint it MoonLight Blue Mist with White Stripe and Interior

Non covered yet. :brickwall:

Ghoste

Quote from: WingCharger on September 07, 2008, 06:37:16 AM
I have always wondered, why do you see so many rotting/burnt/destroyed Wing Cars, when so few (2,000-) were built? Do they attract bad luck, or what?

I've always thought it was the other way around compared to most musclecars.  The wing cars seem to me to have a better survival rate which I've always attributed to their collectability right from day one.  The same value has meant that the wing car cognoscenti have kept track of even the destroyed ones over the years (as much as they could), and now with the rest of the world cluing in to how special these cars are the wrecks are coming out of the swamps.
When basic 68-70 Road Runners start commanding 100k + on televised auctions you'll see so many rotten Runners coming out for sale you'll start to think they were sold as wrecks from the factory.  :Twocents:

Aero426

After being discovered and pulled from its location near Englishtown, the car was on Ebay several months ago.    At least then it was inside.   It sure looks rough, but I've seen worse.

CTinCT

There was a post on this car on the Yenko site back in 2004. It had several pics from the guy that found it. He was trying to figure out if it was real or not. Everything pointed to it being real.

hotrod98

Are there people stupid enough to bid on a car with several days left?
If you're really wanting to win the auction, then you're just raising the price that you will have to pay.  :brickwall:

Charles Addams

daytonalo

INCLUDING WET DREAMS ?????

BigBlockSam

$21000  There you go Stuart . you got all the parts to bring it back  :2thumbs:

moparstuart

25k and reserve not met , wow that guys is wanting to hit a home run on a rust bucket

redrider

isn't this the superbird the guy bought for 3,000 dollars

Blown70

Quote from: moparstuart on September 16, 2008, 12:55:44 PM
25k and reserve not met , wow that guys is wanting to hit a home run on a rust bucket

he re-listed just the car not all the parts.  If you see he relist button click it takes you to the new auction.

Tom

moparstuart

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140267414896

here it is   , still making a home run .   

I drove the convertible every night this week and I am very happy just having a clone !

hotrod98

Charles Addams

petercharger

wow...25k and they turned it down..unreal... :smilielol: :smilielol:
best way to get a hold of me is brushcollege@msn.com...thanks

BigBlockSam

Hey Hotrod,-----------------------  :scratchchin: :scratchchin:-------------- at least you'll know it was restored correctly when done .  :scratchchin: . maybe you could trade him a car and a little cash  .  :scratchchin:  all these thoughts have gone through my head or  maybe offer  15k .    :brickwall:  .

i gotta keep saying to myself, first the new house with the monster garage,  then the bird.   :cheers:

you already have the monster garage . all you need now is the bird .    :scratchchin:

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 16, 2008, 07:55:11 PM
Hey Hotrod,-----------------------  :scratchchin: :scratchchin:-------------- at least you'll know it was restored correctly when done .  :scratchchin: . maybe you could trade him a car and a little cash  .  :scratchchin:  all these thoughts have gone through my head or  maybe offer  15k .    :brickwall:  .

i gotta keep saying to myself, first the new house with the monster garage,  then the bird.   :cheers:

you already have the monster garage . all you need now is the bird .    :scratchchin:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: go for it larry

bill440rt

I CANNOT believe this thing is still going around. nascarXX29, THANKS for remembering!!  :2thumbs:
The car was JUST relisted, first auction went for $25100 & it did NOT meet the reserve! Now, a BIN for $21000??  :smilielol:  :smilielol:

Seems like each time this car is for sale it comes with more & more parts. Amazing it made it out to MN.

Car was found in a field on a person's property nearby me in Old Bridge, NJ. Yes, it's a legit V-code Bird. Big time rust. I still have pics of what it looked like PRIOR to the sale of the first guy, who was from PA. Looks like the car was cleaned up a bit, parts were thrown in the interior (don't think there's much metal to bolt anything down to), & some good use of a porta-power in the rear end, much of which is made up of AIR.  :D
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hotrod98

I talked to the current owner. He said that it needs front and rear frame rails, floor from firewall to rear body panel, dutchman panel, both quarters, both doors, upper outer cowl and of course all of the parts that are missing. But the good news is the rockers are pretty solid.   

I blew the pics up and it looks like it may also need a roof panel, outer wheelhouses, part of the core support, the plug or partial repair of the plug, possibly the tail panel, the rear frame crossmember, fuel tank supports, etc...etc...etc...

Charles Addams

69charger2002

sounds more like a "HLPAG father son" project than a good old fashioned normal project.. i had been contemplating that car as well, but man you just made my decision easier. i'd never be able to tackle that much work. i'd get disgusted and sell it later on probably..
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

bill440rt

Quote from: 69charger2002 on September 16, 2008, 10:33:42 PM
sounds more like a "HLPAG father son" project than a good old fashioned normal project.. i had been contemplating that car as well, but man you just made my decision easier. i'd never be able to tackle that much work. i'd get disgusted and sell it later on probably..

Which is exactly what the previous sellers have realized. The car will probably someday be restored with a '70 Satellite body and a pair of pop rivets.  :eek2:
I probably would have done exactly what the other sellers are doing: FLIP!!!  :D
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

WingCharger

This sounds more like a Rebody auction than anything else. :slap:

Kinda like that Daytona that wrecked off a cliff and was nothing but a magled pile of metal that sold on ebay a while back. There was no saving that car. This one will probably be the same. :'( BUT, it is better to see the numbers at leats stay around driving, than go to a collector and sit on a shelf or worse.

hotrod98

If a guy found a car like this that no one knew about, then with careful work, you could re-body this car and no one would ever know.
But, this car is well documented. If it shows up in pristine condition with factory welds on all panels, someone will be in big trouble.
I'll keep looking. I would rather not have a bird than to get into a project like this. You can't weld new sheet metal to rust.

Charles Addams

hemigeno

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 17, 2008, 09:31:49 AM
I would rather not have a bird than to get into a project like this. You can't weld new sheet metal to rust.

Heaven forbid someone tries to dip it to remove the rust.   :o

WingCharger

Quote from: hemigeno on September 17, 2008, 10:21:33 AM
I would rather not have a bird than to get into a project like this. You can't weld new sheet metal to rust.

:smilielol: :o

Blown70

Quote from: hemigeno on September 17, 2008, 10:21:33 AM

OMG never thought of that.  You might pull out parts of the firewaill seems to be about it....... :shruggy:

charger_fan_4ever

Once the frame rails are toast and springs threw the trunk whats left to restore?  :shruggy:

Imo they are dead at this point and bringing it back as a "restored" car is almost as bad as a rebody if all that is left of the original car is the firewall.

my  :Twocents:

hotrod98

This one wouldn't even be a good candidate for a rebody. No data plate, no build sheet, no title, original driveline and front sheet metal missing and on...and on...

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteOnce the frame rails are toast and springs threw the trunk whats left to restore?  shruggy 

:yesnod:  yea , this thing is to far gone . :rotz:

charger_fan_4ever

I'm still amazed when i see threads about guys doing resto's on 318 cars changing out framerails, firewalls ect.
:slap:

Old Moparz

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 17, 2008, 12:08:54 PM
This one wouldn't even be a good candidate for a rebody. No data plate, no build sheet, no title, original driveline and front sheet metal missing and on...and on...

Good point, but I bet a re-body will still happen, especially now since the market is down & it's more of a risk to the investors. If I could do the massive amount of body work it needs myself, & the initial cost of the car wasn't so high, it might be worth a try just to own a wing car. What it still needs though, is very expensive so most people including myself won't touch it. One of the scariest parts, is no title on a car that expensive. Too big of a gamble that it'll come back to bite you in the ass at a later date.

It could have a previous salvage title, maybe stolen at one time, or some other issue that will keep you from legally owning it. Even if you can get a state issued VIN, then that defeats the purpose of buying this one for just the VIN saying it's a Superbird. A lesser valued car, for say several hundred dollars, or even a thousand or so, would be far less risky to the wallet. I didn't spend anywhere close to the highest bid on that bird for what I paid for two cars I own that only came with a bill of sale.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

WingCharger

You never know. Mybe a bad restamp company would make one based on word? :-\
Never know.

On a lighter note, I found a black 1969 Coronet R/T with a 440 sitting on jackstands at our buddy who is a muscle car mechanic.

Blown70

Quote from: WingCharger on September 17, 2008, 03:55:32 PM

On a lighter note, I found a black 1969 Coronet R/T with a 440 sitting on jackstands at our buddy who is a muscle car mechanic.

your not allowed to post something like that without picture YOUNGSTER... :RantExplode:

WingCharger

Quote from: Blown70 on September 17, 2008, 04:42:14 PM
Quote from: WingCharger on September 17, 2008, 03:55:32 PM

your not allowed to post something like that without picture YOUNGSTER... :RantExplode:
:nana:
Pic's will come soon enough.

The70RT

Only went to 12K. I bet his buddy's bid it up to the 25K last time  :scratchchin:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hotrod98

The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale.

Charles Addams

The70RT

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 21, 2008, 08:12:26 PM
The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale.

Whoops....missed that.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

WilliesDaytona

I know it has been a long time but Whatever happened to this car, and is it for sale  ?

Aero426

Someone was going to buy it in 2009 or 2010 (or they had already bought it) and the plan was to restore it.   That was the last I heard.

bill440rt

I always wondered what happened to this "Bird also.
Anyone have any other knowledge about it?  :shruggy:

nascarxx29

Havent seen it .Just remember it was in newsletter in Minnesota then sold again

http://www.superbirdclub.com/nletter10-08.pdf

r4daytona

I'm going to get some WIPE NEW from the "Count" and test it on the car. if it works maybe I'd buy the car!  :smilielol:

moparstuart

Quote from: r4daytona on March 18, 2013, 02:56:39 PM
I'm going to get some WIPE NEW from the "Count" and test it on the car. if it works maybe I'd buy the car!  :smilielol:
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: that guy is such a douche bag

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 06, 2008, 10:22:13 PM
I have the technology to rebuild it.  :2thumbs:

That thing is missing $20K worth of parts  :eek2:

And a rolling "donor" body to "transfer" whats left, over to it, along with some "envelope parts"...... :scratchchin:

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on March 18, 2013, 03:38:26 PM
Quote from: r4daytona on March 18, 2013, 02:56:39 PM
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: that guy is such a douche bag

...and he has a nutsack for a chin

WilliesDaytona

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 18, 2013, 04:17:35 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 06, 2008, 10:22:13 PM
I have the technology to rebuild it.  :2thumbs:

That thing is missing $20K worth of parts  :eek2:

And a rolling "donor" body to "transfer" whats left, over to it, along with some "envelope parts"...... :scratchchin:

I would love to find something in that shape or even a little worse to build my Dream 70s Street Race Bird, so if anyone knows of anything in that shape or little worse FOR SALE let me know Im interested....

YankeeBlue

ROUGH SUPERBIRD its alive in West Virginia... update about 97% done... well post pic late... (((no rebody))))

1970Moparmann

Quote from: YankeeBlue on September 06, 2016, 12:45:00 PM
ROUGH SUPERBIRD its alive in West Virginia... update about 97% done... well post pic late... (((no rebody))))

Very cool.   Looking forward to the pictures! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

wingcarenvy

Quote from: YankeeBlue on September 06, 2016, 12:45:00 PM

Thats great to hear, I bid on that car when it was on Ebay.

GOTWING

Fitz73Chrgr

'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Impkidd

Any recent pics of the West Virginia car restored?  :popcrn:

hemi68charger

Quote from: WingCharger on September 06, 2008, 08:44:59 PM
:o

Whenever you find a rough wing car, the wing and nose have alway been torn off, and sold to cloners. That really makes me mad. Really rough car too. No fender tag or build sheet. How do you know it is a SuperBird?
The VIN will tell you.. All Superbirds were built in a certain sequence range, no Road Runners were built in between..

1266   RM23   V   0A   177585   4-Dec      4-Dec   

It's VIN is within the production list at Brennan's site.

http://brcook.com/id17.html

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

krops cars

I would love to see pics before and after.