News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is this a hell of a find or a scam

Started by BigBlockSam, September 07, 2008, 11:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

my BS METER IS READING HIGH . WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK. even the way it was listed . sneaky, under OTHER and no mention of superbird in the title . one big red flag is that as soon as you win the bidding . you have to give a non refundable $2000 . what do you guys think . Rene

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Plymouth_W0QQitemZ270273623333QQihZ017QQcategoryZ6387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Dans 68

...and a valid credit card number to qualify to bid? ??? Sheriffs sale? Will not list VIN??? My BS meter just broke...but worth following to see what happens.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Drache

5 bids up to $12,100, seller with 601 feedback, 100%, bad english, no posted VIN....

QuoteThe front lights and possibly the nose are not original since they appear to be a different color and don't line up properly.

So maybe not even a real bird....

QuoteThe engine is a 1977 440 truck motor and we cannot say with certainty what the rear end is. We got the engine to start, however it has a lower engine noise and even though we replaced the starter, it still doesn't engage for 15 or 20 attempts.

Not original engine....

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

hotrod98

This has to be legit. I'm calling him right now and giving him my credit card number. That's how bad I want this car. :icon_smile_big:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Old Moparz

It doesn't really look like a scam to me, but then I would never bid unless I went to see it in person first anyway.

(He does mention it's a Superbird Rene, last sentence in the 1st paragraph.)

He also has 3 other car auctions going at the same time, & he did say he'd get the VIN in the Q & A section under the photos. The credit card thing is the only part I don't like.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

C500

It doesn't appear to be a scam to me either. The comment about needing a credit card is not for the buyer - he's not going to find out your card numbers, it's part of ebays criteria to get verified and bid on something over 15k.  Save the farm sounds very D.O.H.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

WingCharger

:icon_bs: :icon_bs: Non Numbers Matching, no full car pics, no vin, BS!!

Waterville actually isnt that far from me. :scratchchin:

BUT, he does say in the Q&A that somebody could come look at it. But that could be from a bogus account he set up?

nascarxx29

The plates look like circa vintage.I had SPR-BRD in use in the 80-s.The tuff grip wheel with the road runner decal looks retro.I do show in old records do know if its this car FJ5 bench 4 speed superbird in Ohio Ken Kilma RM23UOA168762
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dodge Don

Looks like a legit auction to me. The VIN will determine if it is an old clone or a real Superbird.

The70RT

Just set up a time to look at it. If he backs down then its a scam.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BigBlockSam

QuoteHe does mention it's a Superbird Rene, last sentence in the 1st paragraph.) 

yea but not in the title . if he knows the real name of thr car why not put it in the title?

QuoteJust set up a time to look at it. If he backs down then its a scam 

did that already, no respose yet
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Blown70

WOW, well to me is needs to be looked at.  Or investigated.  If it is a REAL bird it would be nice to see it on the road again.

Tom

BigBlockSam

he wrote me back and said
"Just e-mail me with your number and I'll call to set up a time when we can meet. Thanks, Parker"

might be legit , who's in Ohio and can go look at it?

Blown70

Drache

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 08, 2008, 09:29:03 AM
yea but not in the title . if he knows the real name of thr car why not put it in the title?

Could be a simple mistake. I made that mistake when listing the Aspen one time and my title was simply "Dodge"  :brickwall:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Troy

Quote from: Blown70 on September 08, 2008, 10:03:57 AM
TROY?  The fearless leader  :shruggy:
It's near Toledo - about three hours from me. The eBay ad ends Friday. I probably wouldn't be able to look at it until next weekend but that's the Norwalk show with Monster Mopar the following weekend. It might be worth taking a half day off work though. I could have gone yesterday...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

richRTSE

I really don't think it's a scam. The seller is listing several items, including two other cars all with the same story. He lists his location as Waterville, Ohio. If you look at the license plate on the Superbird, the county sticker on the bottom says "Lucas", and I did a google search and Waterville is in Lucas county. Also, the plate on the Buick he is selling is also an Ohio plate (the 3rd car has no plate). I would say it's legit, and I think I saw a Dana under there. He said it was originally an automatic, maybe a V-code too? Definately worth looking into if someone is interested...

The70RT

I think it is legit. Maybe the guy doesn't know much about it?? If he is gonna let people look at it I would think it would be legit. If anyone wins say - I will be right up with the cash and don't send a deposit. Especially if your close by. I bet he has a kazillion emails by low ball buyers. I bet it goes over 50K.

nascarxx29

Well Doug Pettybird is in Ohio.Maybe he can check it out.We used my SPR BRD plate on this

62 Max

You guys need to quit thinking everything is a scam! I see quite a few avenues to verify.:Twocents:

nascarxx29

Would like to believe its legit .But there has been ? superbirds posted on sites like craigs list for starters that didnt pan out..We will wait and see what happens on this one

BigBlockSam

i chased 3 birds , one all the way to florida . air fare , hotel rooms . i've lost money chasing birds. i'm very careful now to make shure it's not a scam.

now i don't have the money for one  . so i hope some one here can  get it and bring it back to life . Rene

hotrod98

I've always had a problem with buying something that I can't actually inspect in person.
One of my frirends has been burned bad buying cars off of e-bay. I keep warning him, but he still won't listen.
It would be foolish to spend a lot of time and money going to look at the car and then stiill have to depend on winning the thing on e-bay.

Charles Addams

pettybird

Quote from: nascarxx29 on September 08, 2008, 05:57:57 AM
The plates look like circa vintage.I had SPR-BRD in use in the 80-s.The tuff grip wheel with the road runner decal looks retro.I do show in old records do know if its this car FJ5 bench 4 speed superbird in Ohio Ken Kilma RM23UOA168762

the Klima's live in the NE corner of the state, and his sons and daughter own wings, too. 

I'm in the same boat as Troy as far as having no time this week...

green letter plates were mid 80's pieces...i'd love to have that one.

WingCharger

Were any Daytonas or 500's sold in ohio? :shruggy:

I am starting to think this may be one of those screamin deals you only hear about, but never see? :shruggy:

Ghoste

hemigeno

The70RT

Quote from: WingCharger on September 09, 2008, 05:45:30 AM
Were any Daytonas or 500's sold in ohio? :shruggy:

I am starting to think this may be one of those screamin deals you only hear about, but never see? :shruggy:

What do you mean? Anyone can see it on eBay. Not too many deals on eBay, believe me it will go for pretty much it's value. around 50K ??? What does anyone else think?

hotrod98

I think that where non-drivable, restorable, collectable cars are concerned, e-bay tends to bring the highest dollar that can be obtained.
I never expect to get a good deal on e-bay. There are a lot of people out there that are both smarter and wealthier than I am.

Charles Addams

WingCharger

Quote from: hemigeno on September 09, 2008, 09:01:13 AM
Quote from: WingCharger on September 09, 2008, 05:52:37 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on September 09, 2008, 05:50:31 AM
Yes.

How many?

28 Daytonas, and an unknown number of C500s.

28!!!! :o Darn! Maybe the old Chrysler Dodge Plymouth dealer in my town sold one? I had always thought about that.  :scratchchin:

bebeep1969

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 09, 2008, 11:55:23 AM
I think that where non-drivable, restorable, collectable cars are concerned, e-bay tends to bring the highest dollar that can be obtained.
I never expect to get a good deal on e-bay. There are a lot of people out there that are both smarter and wealthier than I am.

IMO.  ebay is used as a cheap advertisement tool.  Few highend mopars ever meet the reserve
1970 FJ5 V-code 4 speed Superbird
1970 FY1 V-code 4 speed Superbird

Ghoste

I agree, it's just a place for sellers to go fishing.  Not always maybe, but the vast majority of the time.

Aero426

Quote from: nascarxx29 on September 08, 2008, 05:57:57 AM

It is not Ken Klima's car.   Ken and his son have been recently working on their Bird and it's in very nice shape. 

richRTSE

Well, it sure would be nice if the seller would answer some more of the questions I'm sure he's been bombarded with...he hasn't answered mine yet.  :scratchchin:

jodaddy1

Well I'll stick my neck out here.  I'm about 1 - 1 1/2 hours away.  But the only time I have is Thursday before 2 (work schedule)  if you can arrange  and get me an address I'll go take a look.   I know of a alpine white bird that sold new in my town for 900.00 in 71 and a green one still here in very bad shape (parts car).  Email me if you want me to look
Joe

CornDogsCharger

I seem to think it is a ligiit deal.  My friend sells quite a few cars on ebay and he pretty much says the same thing in his description.  As a seller, he has been screwed sooooooo many times that he is almost fed up with selling on ebay.  To filter out the fake bidders he has done the same thing.  I just checked the feedback of the seller for the Superbird.  Yeah, it's 100% but also... of the 603 feedback, 555 is from when he sold something.  Who knows, he may be like my friend.  Like I said, I feel like it's the real deal.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

richRTSE

Quote from: CornDogsCharger on September 10, 2008, 06:33:39 AM
I seem to think it is a ligiit deal.  My friend sells quite a few cars on ebay and he pretty much says the same thing in his description.  As a seller, he has been screwed sooooooo many times that he is almost fed up with selling on ebay.  To filter out the fake bidders he has done the same thing.  I just checked the feedback of the seller for the Superbird.  Yeah, it's 100% but also... of the 603 feedback, 555 is from when he sold something.  Who knows, he may be like my friend.  Like I said, I feel like it's the real deal.

Justin
"CornDog"

:iagree:
I just looked at some of the stuff he has sold. Not many high ddollar stuff, but he did sell an F-350 and for his payment instructions on that he said:

"Seller's payment instructions
Should the reserve be met, the winning bidder will be required to send a non-refundable 10% deposit within 24 hours of auction ending time with the balance due within 7 days of auction ending time. If winning bidder is not completely satisfied for any reason upon inspection of the vehicle, winning bidder can elect to refuse delivery and be entitled to a refund of the 90% paid provided vehicle is returned at winning bidders expense in like condition."

The buyer of the truck left good feedback, so he must have been happy. So, maybe the $2000 deposit required on the Superbird is 10% of the reserve. I think I'd buy it for $20,000! I think it will go for quite a bit more though...

nakita7

Quote from: jodaddy1 on September 10, 2008, 05:37:52 AM
Well I'll stick my neck out here.  I'm about 1 - 1 1/2 hours away.  But the only time I have is Thursday before 2 (work schedule)  if you can arrange  and get me an address I'll go take a look.   I know of a alpine white bird that sold new in my town for 900.00 in 71 and a green one still here in very bad shape (parts car).  Email me if you want me to look
Joe

That would be awesome if you could.

richRTSE

Well, he finally answered my question, and a few others:

Q:  Would you please email me the vin#. Sep-10-08
A:  Good Morning. The VIN # is RM23U0A165XXX

Q:  Does the car have an Ohio title? Also you say "One tag is missing and the other one is impossible to read." Do you mean the vin tag and fender tag? Which one is missing? Is the fifth digit of the VIN a "U" or a "V"? Original engine and trans missing? Thanks, Rich Sep-10-08
A:   Hi Rich. Yes it has an Ohio title. No I have both. The fifth digit is a U. Yes the original engine, transmission and rear are missing. Thanks for asking, Parker.

Q:  would like to fly up and look at car could you please tell me a date monday or tuesday and a contact number please.Thanks John Sep-10-08
A:   Hi John, Give me a call and we'll set up a time. Parker, 419-841-5999.

Q:  hi, can the car be inspected? can you post or email me a pic of the vin? thanks gerry Sep-10-08
A:   Absolutely. My telephone number is 419-841-5999. Thanks, Parker.

Q:  HELLO CAN YOU TELL ME IF THE NOSE WAS MADE IN STEEL OR FIBERGLAS THANKS MARCEDEM Sep-10-08
A:   Steel. Thanks, Parker.

BigBlockSam

this could be a good deal for someone if it's legit .   :cheers:

The70RT

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 10, 2008, 10:44:54 AM
this could be a good deal for someone if it's legit .   :cheers:

How much is a good deal? Then you have to resto it.

nascarxx29

nakita7

I emailed and asked him to change the country requirements, as I was not able to bid because I'm in Canada. He emailed back saying he couldn't change the settings?? Kind of strange, as I've asked guys to do this before and they do, so I can bid, but whatever. He did give his phone number, anyone call him yet?

Beep Beep Dave

It didn't hit the reserve...did anyone manage to see this Superbird in person?
Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

moparstuart

wow whats the reserve i wonder , would have been a great deal at 35k

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BMOTOXSTAR

I am about 2 hrs from Toledo if that.
No one thinks to ask BMOTOXSTAR if he will go look.
I am going to have to call this cat and take a look and take some $. :2thumbs: :P
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

WingCharger

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on September 12, 2008, 02:55:24 PM
I am going to have to call this cat and take a look and take some $. :2thumbs: :P

Hope you get it! :cheers:

BigBlockSam

PocketThunder

Gosh, sorry, you know you are on the top of our list but since we werent buying we didnt ask...   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

The70RT

I wonder why this one ended about the same price as that orange one that was half missing? I bet 50k would get this one...who knows 40K may be the reserve.

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: PocketThunder on September 12, 2008, 04:39:46 PM

Gosh, sorry, you know you are on the top of our list but since we werent buying we didnt ask...   :icon_smile_big:

I know, I would have checked it out for ya' though. I do not even have that much $.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

billinohio

Hello
1st post here. I was trying to find some info to see if something on the tag on this car said it was a superbird. Not real knowledgable on mopars and searched and found this site then low and behold others wondering about this car. I  live about 2 hours south of this guy. If this guy found what he suggests, what fun that would be. I wasnt sure what it would be worth missing so many original parts??  may have to go look

Bill

PocketThunder

Quote from: billinohio on September 12, 2008, 11:03:23 PM
Hello
1st post here. I was trying to find some info to see if something on the tag on this car said it was a superbird. Not real knowledgable on mopars and searched and found this site then low and behold others wondering about this car. I  live about 2 hours south of this guy. If this guy found what he suggests, what fun that would be. I wasnt sure what it would be worth missing so many original parts??  may have to go look

Bill

Hi Bill in Ohio!   :wave:  Welcome to the site.  Our fearless leader live in the state that is high in the middle and round on both ends...   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

WingCharger

Hello

Bill

Welcome aboard, also from the Buckeye state! This car would be a hell of a find if someone on here got it!

62 Max

Hello

Bill

He says he has the fender tag.All birds were coded J9 in the sequence number Also, build date would be B30.If the dash vin matches the fender tag,I don't think you can go wrong.

WingCharger

What happened? "Bidding Has Ended On This Item"??????? :o :brickwall: :-\

The70RT

Quote from: WingCharger on September 13, 2008, 09:09:19 AM

The auction ran it's course.....didn't it?

WingCharger

Quote from: The70RT on September 13, 2008, 09:11:00 AM

Did anybody look at it? Did it sell?

The70RT

Quote from: WingCharger on September 13, 2008, 09:12:53 AM
Quote from: The70RT on September 13, 2008, 09:11:00 AM

Did anybody look at it? Did it sell?

Read the thread....nobody on here that we know of.  The reserve was not met.

rustafarian

Bidding went up to $32,000-ish,  reserve not met.
He's got a nice old Buick convertible on ebay now,  same story as the 'bird
Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

billinohio

I called today and the lady thinks it was sold. she said the first he is selling were some out in the yard covered by tarps, not sure if the bird was or not but has some that were stored in the barn that are in better shape. she said it is amazing what these people had but didnt know what some of the other cars were.  someone got a treasure

BMOTOXSTAR

This is when I wish I had a bigger cushion in the bank. :brickwall:
Maybe I should call, never know. Maybe they have a 3rd gen in there. :icon_smile_tongue:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT