News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XX engine on Craigslist

Started by Charger1970, April 26, 2008, 11:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I hope he gets stuck with it.

Old Moparz

If I ran across the original block to a car I owned, especially one that's rare, I'd be interested in it to a certain extent. If the going rate for a block was say $500 or so, I'd consider going a small amount higher, like 5% to 10% but that's it & it better not be damaged. There's probably a good reason why the motor was yanked way back when, like maybe it's junk. I think the seller was speculating the owner of the car was someone who would be saying"I HAVE TO HAVE THE ORIGINAL MOTOR BACK AT NO EXPENSE SPARED!" but guessed wrong.  :coolgleamA:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

RAC95054

Quote from: Old Moparz on May 05, 2008, 07:39:48 AM
If I ran across the original block to a car I owned, especially one that's rare, I'd be interested in it to a certain extent. If the going rate for a block was say $500 or so, I'd consider going a small amount higher, like 5% to 10% but that's it & it better not be damaged. There's probably a good reason why the motor was yanked way back when, like maybe it's junk. I think the seller was speculating the owner of the car was someone who would be saying"I HAVE TO HAVE THE ORIGINAL MOTOR BACK AT NO EXPENSE SPARED!" but guessed wrong.  :coolgleamA:

You hit that nail on the head.  I hope he gets stuck with it too, but I sent him a message on eBay to just "do the right thing."  My guess is he won't.
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

69_500

I can guarantee you that he will be stuck with the engine with a starting bid of $2,500. Especially when everyone who would even remotely be interested in the engine, knows exactly how much he paid for it a mere few weeks back. Its not like he has had it completely rebuilt and its ready to drop in a car, but he is still thinking he will easily double if not triple his money. Knowing good and well who's car it goes to, and that he outbid them by a mere $25.

68charger383

Sometimes you can't think about things...if it were my engine...on a no reserve auction, I'd sniper bid the $2,500 to get it back to its rightful place. One day the engine in the car will bring in more than the extra $1,250 he'll have to pay for it.

Overall, it's just unfortunate that the seller won't man up and show some honor and sell it to the car's owner for only a $500 profit.  :shruggy:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

bzabodyn

I esp. love the comment about him knowing the original car it came from and "the original owner not being interested" - what a prick! I would buy the block and fly me to Georgia to personally pick up the block for you so I could smash this guy's face in  :eek2:  I promise it would be money well spent!

(I train MMA/competition fighting - so the smashing-face-in part is 2nd nature)

BZ
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

Redbird

It seems to me that the seller has some multiple problems, most likely self created. Currently he looks to be stepping up the ladder of the 5 stages of grief. First denial, can't believe someone will not reward him for the good he wants to do. Second, anger-raise the price in a retaliatory reaction. He's got Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance to go. In his description he says to the effect that the owner of the car isn't interested, part of his denial is that he can't believe someone will not meet his price. Addict4christ, bet you can't disagree with him.

472 R/T SE

Ever wonder why there's more guests lurking here than members?  I can almost guarantee he's watching this thread.  :scratchchin:

RAC95054

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 06, 2008, 03:54:12 PM
Ever wonder why there's more guests lurking here than members?  I can almost guarantee he's watching this thread.  :scratchchin:

There really is a reasonable solution to the problem, and it would make all involved happy (or at least I would think so), but some effort is involved.  If Rick had some time to clean up the car, at least get it running with the motor in it now, then list it on eBay with a reasonable reserve (also mentioning he knows where the original motor is and that it can be had for a certain sum), he'd end up with a nice pile of needed cash, the new owner could pay Addict2Christ $2K (or thereabouts) for the motor, and (hopefully) all would be happy.  If I had a shop of my own, or at least had some good connections for doing a resto, I'd love to get involved.  But the way Rick's C500 is now, it's just too much of a project for me to handle (and probably more money that I could handle). Anyhow, my  :Twocents: for a solution.  I do hope the car and engine get reunited, and I would love to be the owner of it all, but the car is just to rough for my means (I need her to look more like Dana!).

69_500

I had contacted the seller through ebay when he first listed it the other day, and asked him how he figured that the owner of the car wasn't interested in the engine? I said he was interested, but not at a price that is ridiculous (IE tripling the price from the first auction). I got a nice message back from him saying he is a good christian man, and this is how he supports his family, and that I should butt out of it as its not my car or engine.

Oh well to each their own I guess.

CTinCT

I will have to differ from some of you guys. If it was my car I would pay up. I wouldn't get crazy, but I would bite the bullet and overpay, if that is what it took to get it.  Look at it like this..........right now it is FOR SALE. Let's say that it's overpriced by $1,500. What happens 10 years from now (when you decide that you SHOULD have bought it) and it is NOT for sale ?? You'd be feeling pretty stupid when you think about the lousy $1,500 that you wouldn't spend.    *NOTE* If this was MY car, I would have never let it get this far. I would have been the high bidder when it was on E-bay.

bzabodyn

Quote from: CTinCT on May 06, 2008, 09:17:46 PM
*NOTE* If this was MY car, I would have never let it get this far. I would have been the high bidder when it was on E-bay.

That's what I've been saying, but that's water under the bridge now... Good Christian my ass...

BZ
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

PocketThunder

Quote from: CTinCT on May 06, 2008, 09:17:46 PM
I will have to differ from some of you guys. If it was my car I would pay up. I wouldn't get crazy, but I would bite the bullet and overpay, if that is what it took to get it.  Look at it like this..........right now it is FOR SALE. Let's say that it's overpriced by $1,500. What happens 10 years from now (when you decide that you SHOULD have bought it) and it is NOT for sale ?? You'd be feeling pretty stupid when you think about the lousy $1,500 that you wouldn't spend.    *NOTE* If this was MY car, I would have never let it get this far. I would have been the high bidder when it was on E-bay.

Your not this Addict2Christ guy are you?   :shruggy:   :popcrn:

Your not runningman are you?   :icon_smile_big:  (sorry Geno, i couldnt resist)   :slap:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

talkiemopar

o.k. time for the witchie wife to chime in.  Ten years from now we'll be in our mid seventies. So for get restoration in ten years!

Today Rick talked to Frank and offered to buy it for a little more than he paid for it.  And, I guess some of you haven't bid on e-bay.  The bidding stops at some time and ahh well, someone doesn't win.

The engine doesn't have the right numbered heads. The drive to Georgia at $4.00 + ain't cheap and Frank had to drive 30 miles to pick it up.  Sorry peoples but no one said this Bronze Charger was a 'matching number' car to begin with.  Still in need of a 'matching number' trany - This ones a 1970.  Happy to inform the group of the #0G129452 trany we have and we would gladly do an even exchange with the guy who really needs it ( if the car exists ).  By the way, Frank indicated that a matching trany isn't important, just a motor. duh!

Appreciate all the 'messages' to Frank.  You guys are unbelievable!  He seems like a o.k. guy I guess. Just wanted to hit the lottery I guess. Maybe he may reconsider getting his money back - the story goes on. 

:brickwall:

moparmom

Any idea how I can contact the Anti-Christ for a loan?  How about a 1% 30 yr fixed  :brickwall: :nana:   Oops!  Have owned the Bronze Beast for 28 years - when we do part with - it will go to someone who isn't in it for profit but heart and sole die hard Charger/Mopar nut.  so whats another 10 years?  ( not much to Rick - ) sooner if I can help it!
Just kidding?

(Calm down Gene!)
later time to buy that lottery ticket!

Ghoste

So a good Christian way of supporting a family is swoop in at the last minute and grab up something somebody else has a need for and then offer to sell it to them at an outrageous profit?  It may not meet the strictest definiton of usury but it doesn't sound much to me like it meets old values like humility or charity either.  I'm glad Rick is taking this in his usual good natured stride but if the good Christian won't come around I still hope he ends up stuck with it.

Redbird

Started at  $ 2500, up to $ 3500, now down to $2250. We're at the bargaining phase. I'm guessing that it is dawning on someone that they are an Old Testament person only. He's made it clear that money is his only goal, who cares where he travels to. That will dawn on him over the next year.

69_500

Well in my opinion he needs to really sit down and think about who he is trying to get to come up with money? For one thing, its not like the engine is worth anything other than to 1 person in the world. The person who has the car. And its a 440 block, they are a dime a dozen. You can find one in good shape all the time it seems like. 95% of them go for around $600-900 for a good HP 2 block that i've been looking at over the past 2 years. Some are higher, some lower, and I've seen 2 other 440 blocks for Charger 500's sell in the past 2 years for between $850 and $1,200. So the selling price on ebay that he bought it for, would be right around those ball park figures. Now you have to also consider that the one that sold for $1,200 for the bare block was sold to the owner of the car it went to. So it did reunite with the car it came out of.

If the engine came out of my 500, and I had just lost the bid on ebay by a small amount as Rick did, I would still make an offer to the gentleman/woman who won, but I can tell you this much I wouldn't double/triple my offer without knowing if the engine is even salvageable. I mean what good is a a block that is cracked, even if it does have the right VIN?

Oh, and side note, so it looks like to get a shot at the bronze car all I need to do is wait a mere 10 more years? No problem at all, that would put me right at 40  :nana:

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on May 07, 2008, 03:58:47 PM
Well in my opinion he needs to really sit down and think about who he is trying to get to come up with money? For one thing, its not like the engine is worth anything other than to 1 person in the world. The person who has the car. And its a 440 block, they are a dime a dozen. You can find one in good shape all the time it seems like. 95% of them go for around $600-900 for a good HP 2 block that i've been looking at over the past 2 years. Some are higher, some lower, and I've seen 2 other 440 blocks for Charger 500's sell in the past 2 years for between $850 and $1,200. So the selling price on ebay that he bought it for, would be right around those ball park figures. Now you have to also consider that the one that sold for $1,200 for the bare block was sold to the owner of the car it went to. So it did reunite with the car it came out of.

If the engine came out of my 500, and I had just lost the bid on ebay by a small amount as Rick did, I would still make an offer to the gentleman/woman who won, but I can tell you this much I wouldn't double/triple my offer without knowing if the engine is even salvageable. I mean what good is a a block that is cracked, even if it does have the right VIN?

Oh, and side note, so it looks like to get a shot at the bronze car all I need to do is wait a mere 10 more years? No problem at all, that would put me right at 40  :nana:
I just turned 40 rick can i get a shot now  !
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

RAC95054

Quote from: 69_500 on May 07, 2008, 03:58:47 PM

Perfectly summaried.  :cheers:  -Russ

Ghoste

Great, so as of yesterday I'm 6 years too old?  (I'm sure my wife would say I'm closer to six than six too old)

69_500

Wow you mean you wife would admit that your even 6? My wife always says I'm more of a 2 year old than our own son, who is 4. Guess that means he acts 2 times as mature as I do. Boy some times I wish I was still 2 though, they have some darn nice toys today.

quick77rt

Hey All,

Nice site, I live in the same town as this fella and know of him, he stopped in his work van one day as I work from my summertime home there. He tried to sell me a 383 motor then.

I sent him this tonight...

Really Frank why not let the fella have the motor for what you paid for it, call it karma or whatever, but what happened to what you give you get back ten fold....clearly money driven here no question about it, if it were the motor for your org superbee many in the mopar world would just give it to you, thats what us real mopar people do...there is a website with a section just for this to get org cars matched back with there owners and whole complete motors, even at time hemi blocks returned home to the org car for nothing. All about the cash, but as long as you sleep well at night I guess thats all that matters.

But its clear hes only in it for the cash.....cant wait to catch him in his 71 bee out one day, should be interesting.  With that attitude he can rot in hell as far as im concerned....

So you folks are not the only one whos sees what this is really about.....anyone need directions??

Quick.

gers1968rt

Now Frank is threatening to scrap the engine for ten bucks a lb. and laughing about it. This addictedtocash is quite something. He ain't no  :angel:
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

Ghoste

If it isn't in the car it belongs to it's the same as scrap already.