News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XX engine on Craigslist

Started by Charger1970, April 26, 2008, 11:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

True Rick my wife would prefer a B5 blue one, however the 5 year old son would prefer your car. He loves that color.

moparstuart

Well got a message from rick and i guess this deal has gone bad .  Jude is not happy with the motor he got and is threatening to sue rick now?   :shruggy:   Rick said he told him up front it had spun a bearing and he had only breifly run the motor 28 years ago .    :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

gts95

Quote from: moparstuart on May 01, 2009, 11:45:49 AM
  Well got a message from rick and i guess this deal has gone bad .  Jude is not happy with the motor he got and is threatening to sue rick not ?   :shruggy:   Rick said he told him up front it had spun a bearing and he had only breifly run the motor 20 years ago .    :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

This should get interesting... :popcrn:  :popcrn:

I can't quite understand why someone would go through that much trouble too reunite that engine with his car....

69_500

What exactly could he sue for? I mean there was a trade of a block for a complete engine right? Seems that one didn't work, and so even if the other didn't work then what would be the lawsuit for? There was extra parts thrown in as well right? No one twisted his arm to make him trade it to Rick, it was his offer to Rick right? Or do I have the story completely wrong?

talkiemopar

Now don't get you panties in a wad just yet :icon_smile_tongue:   :RantExplode:  The secretary is retrieving everybodies foot from mouth  (duh - usually open mouth insert foot ) seems to be a new flu going around.  Calming the waters and taking a deep breath - you will probably see the Cg 500 back up with of course a 'reserve' or a starting price at what Rick would like to see it bring.  :drool5:     :blahblah:     More detailed information, factual and correct -  No hurrying this time.   :cheers:  Boy how guys work things out I'll never know but Jude will probably be putting it on e-bay again
MEN    :puke:

The most understanding secretary in the world (for a while at least) :angelwing:

:popcrn: :popcrn: ;)

moparstuart

Troy

Well got a message from rick and i guess this deal has gone bad .  Jude is not happy with the motor he got and is threatening to sue rick not ?   :shruggy:   Rick said he told him up front it had spun a bearing and he had only breifly run the motor 20 years ago .    :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
I would have thought that if Rick wanted that information public he'd have posted it...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

73TXRallye440

moparstuart

Quote from: Troy on May 03, 2009, 10:26:23 AM
I would have thought that if Rick wanted that information public he'd have posted it...

Troy

to late he called and left it on my voice mail so it's far game  , I dont think rick is afraid to talk about anything

Troy

Quote from: moparstuart on May 03, 2009, 05:26:03 PM
Quote from: Troy on May 03, 2009, 10:26:23 AM

Troy

to late he called and left it on my voice mail so it's far game  , I dont think rick is afraid to talk about anything

I didn't say afraid. Perhaps I'm a little sensitive about people blabbing about things that I mention off the site? Just me? Throughout the history of the site(s) I've strongly discouraged airing disputes between members unless there was absolutely no alternative so my comments aren't out of character. I'd have asked permission and had a complete understanding of the situation before posting. Again, just me?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparstuart

well i'll see him in a month or so , so he can slap me around then

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on May 03, 2009, 06:22:28 PM

or trap you under 100lbs of stories  ;)

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on May 03, 2009, 10:31:18 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on May 03, 2009, 06:22:28 PM

or trap you under 100lbs of stories  ;)
I like that  100 lbs of stories   very fitting    :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: 

WINGR

Or 100's of pounds of wooden pallets. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

moparstuart

Quote from: WINGR on May 04, 2009, 11:28:17 PM

Or 100's of pounds of wooden pallets. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
first he will trap me with the pallets so i cant move then he will hammer me with the 100 lbs of stories .  :smilielol: :smilielol:

They should have shipped rick to guantanamo bay , and used him on the captives .  :smilielol: :smilielol:

love ya rick   :D :D :D

Old Moparz

An old motor that was yanked from a car ages ago that turned out to be junk?

How can that possibly be?

No way that can't be true.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on May 05, 2009, 07:09:09 PM

i dont think the motor is junk , just more machine work and money (new parts) needed to make it right .
  Been there dont that , they all need more work and money .

Old Moparz

Quote from: moparstuart on May 06, 2009, 09:08:20 AM
Quote from: Old Moparz on May 05, 2009, 07:09:09 PM

i dont think the motor is junk , just more machine work and money (new parts) needed to make it right .
  Been there dont that , they all need more work and money .

Agreed, the word junk may be a bit harsh since anything can be fixed, it just depends on how deep the pockets are. I do find it very amusing that there are so many people who never seem to take into consideration that these old motors got abused & severely damaged. I've done it myself when I was 19, so I know. Beating the snot out of my first two Chargers taught me a lesson that, unless you have money to rebuild a motor, don't drive it like you stole it........ LOL

The way I see it, unless the person offering the motor is a friend, or a vendor/seller I know & trust & have bought things from before, I can't take their word for it that it's fine. Unless the motor was in a car & running, & I was present to witness it, it's a core. Also, unless there is proof that a machine shop checked the block & heads, it's a core, but even then you're taking a chance.

Is there a chance I missed out on a fantastic deal because I didn't take an honest person's word for something? Sure there is, but I don't get shafted on a regular basis either.  :D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Charger Aficionado

I don't come on here at all anymore, but came across this...  

The only reason I drove from Ca to Ga, to Ky, and back to Ca is...

I was putting a. '70 Charger together in Ca and was looking for a 440 for it.  I had caught this XX 440 on here, and contemplated using it for my project.  Then I thought it would be good to get it to it's original vehicle/owner.  Talked to Rick on the phone  about it and he mentioned he had a '70 warranty block that ran when it came out of his 500 (I don't think he had mentioned any damage other than a knock), but he had no money to retrieve his original engine. Still didn't make sense to swap those two engines (XX engine was $1k on eBay, and I've seen warranty blocks sell for $400).  Next he did not have the ability/fuel to get engine in Ga.  This meant I had to pay a Grand for XX engine and DELIVER it to him!  Still not a chance I'd invest nearly $1,700 (price of engine, renting a pickup, and fuel), for a trade of something worth a fraction of that.  I was looking for an even deal (instead I was Royally Shafted by Rick).  He had mentioned he wanted to sell one of his two 500s (the Red XS VIN 500).  I am pretty good at listing on eBay, and offered to do the swap on engines if he made the deal "even" by letting me list the 500 on eBay and re-coup a seller's fee (part of my interest was wanting to see the two 500s and the Superbird). He agreed to that deal, but had "cavier dreams" of getting $40,000 for it (which was an insane thought in this market we found out).  I fully expected it to go in the 30 range, and there was much interest in the high 20s, but he would not consider it. So I was left S.O.L. and Rick was completely unwilling to make any consession (he is perfectly fine getting something FREE in large part).  I'm just taking it as a loss.  He has so many damn parts there he probably could sell a set of B body seats on eBay and "make it right", but he just changed the subject when we spoke.  All I would like is a $500 reimbursement for my "door to door delivery".  Hell he would've paid a freight company $400 to have delivered his block...  Just a crock, and a man named Rick who is completely untrustworthy.  Not happy in the least.

69_500

Not being one who knows the whole story from both sides I'll refrain from commenting on the whole deal but here is one thing I'll comment about. Known Rick for pretty much all of my life (probably 28 years or so) and he is anything but a CROCK, and you are the first person I have ever heard of to have anything negative to say about him. Well unless you consider talking for hours about cars a negative.

Charger Aficionado

Don't refrain.  Comment on it.  He won't.  He completely ignores me on it (I quit emailing him on it over a year ago because it's pretty obvious what his intentions are: to screw me over).  If one option didn't go as planned: don't TOTALLY STIFF someone.  You just don't do that when you play w/ old cars, or in life for that matter.  I've had things not go right on swaps before, and I made them right (ask Travis).  

Well Rick you've always got plenty to say.  Say something.  I see you are online, and know you read this.  

Look, if I were the one in your shoes, I'd make a small consession.  The facts of what I spent are pretty hard to argue with.  Matter of fact for some funny reason my camera was left on record (video) as we ran down the expectations of the deal before I left.  If you really are half way decent then just discuss it (rather than stick your head in the sand).  It doesn't take a genius to figure out it's not even close to even.  If you sent me a box of parts I could list (worth about 500), I'd call it COMPLETELY Square.  That essentially would give you a whopping $1,200 for your '70 block (out of the $1,700 I spent).  

If you happen to think I'm wrong; use your HUGE Mouthpiece and tell me why you think we are "square".  Fact is:  your silence SHOWS your complicity in ripping someone off.  I'm waiting...

Charger Aficionado

Ohhh ohh yes I forgot he kicked-in a CORE 727.  I assume he thinks it was worth the difference.  *shakes head

pettybird

"Pretty good at listing things on eBay?"  Are you kidding?  Did you have a drunk 12 year old write it for you?  Who invented the XS/XX story?  Crap pictures, crap description.

Are you saying you didn't know what Rick wanted for the car before you listed it, or are you saying that you're upset post-eBay ad that the car didn't bring his number?  That's consignment.  It happens. 

You knew ahead of time the motor had a spun bearing.  Don't try and suggest otherwise.  I was never in the market for the motor and Rick told ME about it in conversation. 

You gave him a core short block, and he gave you a whole core motor, a core transmission, trans crossmember and more.  Yes, that was worth the difference. 

We appreciate your returning the motor to the car.  We really do.  Most of us are blown away by it.  Most of us have met Rick, though, and don't appreciate you dragging this thread back after what, 16 months?  I'm with 69_500 in that Rick has known me most of my life, and while cheap, he is an excellent person.  I'm sorry the deal didn't pan out, but it's the seller's call as to whether or not he'll let go of a car for far less than he was hoping, not the middleman.  You're out a consignment fee and you're angry at Rick for not dropping his price more than 10 grand.  That's not quite even. 

Charger Aficionado

You didn't read a thing I wrote.  I never expected him to drop down in price: thus my statement about making it right in some other way.

As far as the auction the operative word was. "good ".  I never "made-up" anything.  I learned (the hard way) that when Rick wants to "fudge" something he kinda mumbles something in favor of what you say (I had asked him about the reason for the VIN being that way, and asked if it was one of the first ones, and he alluded to it). The auction was put online when I was on the road, and I did not have time to look over numbers.  Come'on the pictures...?  Whatever.

I could have got that crap (engine core) at a local wrecking yard, and furthermore had tons of it laying around anyway.  The only "novelty" I gained was no numbers on the block.  Nowhere near CLOSE to being square.  As far as it having a spun bearing, all he told me was that it developed a knock, and he shut it down, and took it out to rebuild.

The only benefit he got from me listing the car was the "get your @ in gear" effect of wanting something done.  I suggested it as a means to get him what he wanted (and was too chincy to go after).  You can talk all the trash you want about it regarding "this or that".  I mean the pictures?!?  For God's sake the car was entombed in a building.  I did the best I could with what I had (and for someone I didn't know, but thought would square things up).

charger_fan_4ever

I think Mopar stuart nailed it. Unless a motor is in a car and you can hear it run or it has receipts from a machine shop as being built its a crap shoot. I can't get why you drove all over the country knowing you'd be paying north of 1k for a motor you cant hear run or validate its any good. You see cores in the 500-700 range all the time for steel crank motors. I would think you could have got a local one for less $$ and all the hassle.

Sure it was a great gesture to reunite the XX block with the car. If the owner of the car told you he didn't have the $$ to have it delivered, or go get it I would have thought that would have raised some flags in thinking you were going to get kick backs. i would have walked away from all of it.