News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Photos Fall Hershey 2002

Started by Old Moparz, October 25, 2005, 08:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

I'm trying to locate Photos of converted Charger fenders for Thallium, but no luck yet. In the meantine, I found the pics I took at the Fall Hershey car show from 2002. There were some nice cars there including this Daytona. I took more of this car for reference than any other that day, so here they are. I resized them, but if someone needs them larger, I can email them to you.

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Old Moparz

More Dayona Pics.
               Bob                

Old Moparz

More.
               Bob                

Shakey

Cool pics!

What is the medallion on the front air dam in the first photo?

Old Moparz

Quote from: Shakey on October 25, 2005, 08:50:47 AM
Cool pics!

What is the medallion on the front air dam in the first photo?

I wish I could remember, but it's been a few years since I saw the car. I'm thinking it may just be a car club item, but I don't know. Maybe someone familiar with the car will see it & let us know.

I found a couple of more photos of a '69 500 that was at the car corral that day. It was a 4 speed car with an asking price of $72K. I thought it was too high since the car wasn't as clean as a lot of others. There were a lot of waves down both sides of the car.
               Bob                

PocketThunder

:drool5:  The more i read these aero car threads the more i become addicted to this hobby.....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BrianShaughnessy

Bob -  Do you recall if that Daytona was for sale?

There was one like that at Carlisle one year - maybe it was '02... I dunno ... same color, 440 auto,  blah,  blah and was for sale in the swap meet area for around $85K with a bunch of paperwork saying it was a 98 point car. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Shakey

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on October 25, 2005, 09:21:15 AM
Bob -   Do you recall if that Daytona was for sale?

There was one like that at Carlisle one year - maybe it was '02... I dunno ... same color, 440 auto,   blah,   blah and was for sale in the swap meet area for around $85K with a bunch of paperwork saying it was a 98 point car.  

Maybe he lost 1 point for too much orange overspray on the negative batery cable.  :shruggy:

Old Moparz

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on October 25, 2005, 09:12:47 AM
Any pics of the VIN or fendertags?

Sorry Chris, but no. This was before your registry & it wasn't on my mind to even bother with. I would now, but that won't do much good.

Bob - Do you recall if that Daytona was for sale?

There was one like that at Carlisle one year - maybe it was '02... I dunno ... same color, 440 auto, blah, blah and was for sale in the swap meet area for around $85K with a bunch of paperwork saying it was a 98 point car.

Brian, this one was in the show car section & wasn't for sale. They had the corral on the other side of the amusement park & the show in front of a convention center. This one was really nice & out in the rain, btw.
               Bob                

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Old Moparz on October 25, 2005, 09:50:44 AM

Bob - Do you recall if that Daytona was for sale?

There was one like that at Carlisle one year - maybe it was '02... I dunno ... same color, 440 auto, blah, blah and was for sale in the swap meet area for around $85K with a bunch of paperwork saying it was a 98 point car.

Brian, this one was in the show car section & wasn't for sale. They had the corral on the other side of the amusement park & the show in front of a convention center. This one was really nice & out in the rain, btw.

OK... maybe, maybe not... maybe  somebody bought it.   I'd have to go looking thru my old pics from Carlisle.     
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

472 R/T SE

Great Shots Bob, that is if you're into this kind of stuff.  Do you have any close up of the trunk lid arms bolting up to the trunk lid?

Daytona Guy

That is a gorgeous car. Those of you trying to do the head light doors, look at the fit and finish on this Daytona. The doors are off. Notice that they do not fit right and flush when they are down. I have talked to a few Daytona owners who have taken their nose apart to restore it and could never get them back to fit the way they wanted, even after hours of detailed and painstaking fitting. That is why when I see Bryan’s car I am in awe because his lights look great. I almost wonder if the fact that he got to use glass parts gave him some flexibility to get it right.

Old Moparz

Quote from: AllBlueRT on October 25, 2005, 12:56:09 PM
Great Shots Bob, that is if you're into this kind of stuff.   Do you have any close up of the trunk lid arms bolting up to the trunk lid?

I thought I had more of that car, but after browsing a bunch of discs, that's all I came up with. I do wish I had taken a lot more, especially now that I could use some more info as well. I did take some time & talk to the owner, he was pretty cool about the car & not afraid to drive it. I don't know if he trailered it there, but it was raining that weekend & the car was out. For me at the time, I only needed to reference some of the body. I wasn't positive I was diving into my Daytona project back then so other details weren't as important, or didn't seem that way at least.   ::)
               Bob                

472 R/T SE

Cool.  Well you'll find out what I'm talkin' about soon enuf then.  I'm trying to purdy mine up and never paid attention to what the factory did.

BigBlockSam

great pics. alot of info there. did you notice that one of his wing bolt needed tightening, funny

ok, in the first picture, under the nose, what are those two bolts for, in the middle.

can any body tell me how you attach the nose to the z brackets?. i look at the front of the nose and i see no attachment bolts. does the nose just lay on the z brackets for support?

the parking lights sit in the front of the z brackets. i did not know that. very cool.

see how the grill is held on bolts along the bottom, what do you think ,maybe alittle silicon on top.

thanks for the pics very cool
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Old Moparz

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 25, 2005, 01:52:22 PM
great pics. alot of info there. did you notice that one of his wing bolt needed tightening, funny

ok, in the first picture, under the nose, what are those two bolts for, in the middle.

Maybe the license plate bracket? :shruggy:
               Bob                

Charger_Fan

Man, that's one clean Daytona!

Looks like a 98 point car from here. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: AllBlueRT on October 25, 2005, 12:56:09 PM
Great Shots Bob, that is if you're into this kind of stuff.   Do you have any close up of the trunk lid arms bolting up to the trunk lid?
    Gotcha covered, Blue!  Here are a few I took for reference at Monster Mopar Weekend a few weeks ago...

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 25, 2005, 01:52:22 PM

see how the grill is held on bolts along the bottom, what do you think ,maybe alittle silicon on top.

The grill frame has a row of studs going across the top, held on with nuts from the back, a row of screws holds the bottom in place,as visible in the pic...

BigBlockSam

alright , very cool. thanks for all the pics.  and the info, i learned some more from these pics
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Daytona R/T SE

Here's a trunklid shot of HemiGeno's Daytona, that he had posted a while back on the old site...

69_500

If you guys want any photos of the deck lid or braces just let me know. I can always go out to the garage and take a few photo's for ya.

Brock Samson

In shots # 10 and 11 that show the inner, upper, rear quarter show the wing base shape imbossed in the sheet metal,. Is that right?..  :o

BigBlockSam

thats the wing washer. that has it inbossed into that

Old Moparz

Quote from: Stratocharger on October 25, 2005, 09:04:59 PM

In shots # 10 and 11 that show the inner, upper, rear quarter show the wing base shape imbossed in the sheet metal,. Is that right?..   :o

You mean the two pics inside the trunk looking upward? That's the wing washer. It is a rectangular piece that goes between the top of the quarter panel, sheet metal, & the vertical brace that supports the wing towards the trunk floor. It helps distribute the down force to keep the sheet metal in tact. A big washer basically.
               Bob                

Old Moparz

Bob                

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Brock Samson

Oh, Ok... thanks...   :P those pieces rebopped too?.. What I mean is, are they on the clones?.. didn't know about them..  :rotz:

Old Moparz

Strat,

They're being remade in both fiberglass & metal by a couple of vendors. I have a pair in glass that came with all the Daytona parts I recently  bought, & they are very thick. Metal may be more correct, but I have these in stock & will probably use them if they fit well enough. I'm not building a carbon copy, just a nice driver I can have fun with. If I was one who was worried over originality, I wouldn't have the '70 GTX nose on my '69 Satellite ragtop.  :D

Bob
               Bob                

BigBlockSam

hey Bob
  i don't think you can use the fiberglass wing washers with your aluminum wing. your wing is to heavy. you need metal ones but i know hotrod98 is looking for a set of them to reproduce them in metal. if he's into it you would have to send him yours. the metal ones from dayclona are $350. i can't afford that. i sent him my wing braces. he took good care of them, even resprayed them for me and i got a free set for leting him use them. are you into it. rene

Old Moparz

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 26, 2005, 10:13:54 AM
hey Bob
  i don't think you can use the fiberglass wing washers with your aluminum wing. your wing is to heavy. you need metal ones but i know hotrod98 is looking for a set of them to reproduce them in metal. if he's into it you would have to send him yours. the metal ones from dayclona are $350. i can't afford that. i sent him my wing braces. he took good care of them, even resprayed them for me and i got a free set for leting him use them. are you into it. rene

Rene,

I don't think the weight of the wing would be relevant since the upright supports that are inside the trunk would take care of that. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the wing washer would be mostly used to keep the quarter panel sheet metal from getting distorted when the nuts are tightened to the studs at the base of the wing. (That's how I see it, maybe I'm wrong.) Actually, I see the washer being even more important to someone using a fiberglass wing as opposed to the solid aluminum. I would think that there would be more flex in the fiberglass when the nuts are tightened to the studs.

If Larry (Hotrod98) wants to use the glass ones I have as a template, I have no problem with that. I can send him mine, but I don't know what the differences will be between the metal & glass. If they're close enough, that's fine with me since I'm not worried about accuracy on my project, just as long as it works. Someone else may need theirs 100%.

Bob
               Bob                

hotrod98

Bob,
I would like to see a pic of the 70/69 hybrid convert. Sounds cool.
As for the wing washers, I was thinking about showing them to the fab shop that formed the wing braces for us. Not sure if they could do anything, but I'm willing to try. I'm a little concerned about using the fierglass wing washers with the weight of Dane's wings.
I really think that the fiberglass versions were made to be used with the fiberglass wings since they are a lot lighter. I would bet that you wouldn't even need the wing washers with the fiberglass wing, but I could be wrong.
The wing washers offer additional support under the quarter to keep the quarter panel from distorting. With a heavy wing, the f/g version may not do the job. In addition, I agree with you that the look of the component is not as important as the function.
The wing braces that extend to the trunk floor don't prevent the distortion that the washers prevent. They have two different functions.
I wasn't planning on spending $350 for steel wing washers and would like to find an alternative.
hotrod98

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

the  wing brackets support the wing, up and down. what concerns me is the lateral support. i agree as long as it works. Rene

Old Moparz

Quote from: hotrod98 on October 26, 2005, 11:24:51 AM
Bob,
I would like to see a pic of the 70/69 hybrid convert. Sounds cool.
As for the wing washers, I was thinking about showing them to the fab shop that formed the wing braces for us. Not sure if they could do anything, but I'm willing to try. I'm a little concerned about using the fierglass wing washers with the weight of Dane's wings.
I really think that the fiberglass versions were made to be used with the fiberglass wings since they are a lot lighter. I would bet that you wouldn't even need the wing washers with the fiberglass wing, but I could be wrong.
The wing washers offer additional support under the quarter to keep the quarter panel from distorting. With a heavy wing, the f/g version may not do the job. In addition, I agree with you that the look of the component is not as important as the function.
The wing braces that extend to the trunk floor don't prevent the distortion that the washers prevent. They have two different functions.
I wasn't planning on spending $350 for steel wing washers and would like to find an alternative.
hotrod98

Sure, I'll show off the ragtop, it's my thread.   :nana:   I'll start on refinishing it one day, but I just hate the idea of having it off the road & not being able to put a top down for who knows how long? I've had it since around 1984, & back then it was a daily driver, that neither snow, nor rain, not heat, nor gloom of night stayed this car from the swift completion of it's appointed rounds. Like getting to the bars with friends or a 2000 mile trip to the '85 Nationals via Canada with my wife.   :icon_smile_big:

It's a 318 car with P/S, P/B, P/top, A/C, AM/FM, power seat (I added) automatic trans & the GTX nose I had in stock 20 years ago. I almost put the air grabber hood on it, but held off & stored it. Now it's a spare for the '70 Road Runner.

Larry, let me know if you want to use the glass washers to try to make copies. If you do, count me in on a pair too. The glass ones are very, thick with not much give or flex. I still think they'd be fine no matter which wing is used since it seems more for protecting the metal of the quarter when it's snugged up tight. I've seen a few cars with original wings that never had a washer at all, & there was no problem. One guy near me back in the early 80's had a '70 Road Runner ragtop with a Superbird wing on it & no distortion.

Bob
               Bob                

hotrod98

Bob,
I've never seen that done before. I was thinking that the fenders and doors would line up.  I've owned a 70 gtx and I now have a 70 satellite to build the bird clone from later on. I also have a b5 69 runner that has 68,000 miles on it. It looks like your vert was a b5 blue car as well.
I'll let you know on the wing washers.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Charger_Fan

This is the first time I've clued in that your convert doesn't have rear marker lights. Did you do that, or was it dome before?

Man, how I could use one of those lifts...gonna have to do something about that one day. :yesnod:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

Quote from: hotrod98 on October 26, 2005, 01:24:44 PM
Bob,
I've never seen that done before. I was thinking that the fenders and doors would line up.   I've owned a 70 gtx and I now have a 70 satellite to build the bird clone from later on. I also have a b5 69 runner that has 68,000 miles on it. It looks like your vert was a b5 blue car as well.
I'll let you know on the wing washers.

There's only a couple of B-Body cars I've seen over the years with the noses swapped on them. The first was a '69 Super Bee that had a '69 Charger nose on it. This was back around 1981 in a town next to mine. The car was for sale, but I called the guy just to see the nose swap. I had the Charger ragtop itch back then & wanted to see how it fit. He was asking $6500 for it with a 13.5 to 1 Hemi in it. This was a ridiculous number at the time, but the guy said he priced it that way so he wouldn't sell it. Seems he wrecked his mother's car running from the police when they tried to pull him over after leaving a bar.   ::)   He was "forced" to sell his car to make amends, but he didn't want to let it go. It was a nice car & originally a 383, but it wasn't fast enough for him. There was a custom Bee, hand painted on in the tail stripe that was very cool. (Wish I had pics.)

Once I saw that the nose fit, I put a pair of Charger doors on a '70 Satellite parts car before I scrapped it. These fit, opened & closed perfect, but the body lines didn't match up. That's when I knew the nose & doors were a simple bolt on swap, & just the rear clip was going to be a nightmare. To think this seed was planted because I saw a fuse amperage listing in my Charger Chilton book for a convertible top. After researching & finding out they never made one, I wanted one. There was another '70 Road Runner or Satellite I saw at Englishtown once that had a '69 nose on it, just the opposite of my car. There's been a few others I saw pics of, but these are the only ones I saw in person besides a few wing car ragtops & replicas.

BTW, the car is the lighter B-3

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on October 26, 2005, 01:29:39 PM
This is the first time I've clued in that your convert doesn't have rear marker lights. Did you do that, or was it dome before?

Man, how I could use one of those lifts...gonna have to do something about that one day. :yesnod:

Grant,

I don't know why it's not in the photo, but the side markers are there. The driver's side has a '68 quarter on it, while the passenger side is still the original '69. The shop that did some rust repair, or better yet, screwed me on rust repair, never got to the side marker to correct it after welding on the quarter panel. It must be just a blur on the pic but it's there. It's a real mix of parts on this one since all the work I was doing on it was long before aftermarket parts. What's in this car will keep the purists awake at night.   :icon_smile_big:

The car is a 1969 Satellite with:
1968 Road Runner quarter panel
1970 GTX fenders, hood & nose
1970 Road Runner grille & bezels
1972 New Yorker bucket seats
1973 New Yorker steering wheel
1968 Dodge rear seat
1969 GTX trunk lid
1969 Sport Satellite trunk finish panel

But, I am going to stick the right '69 nose I have back on now that I have the '70 Road Runner. Probably a few more semi-stock parts too.   :icon_smile_big:

I hijacked my own thread.   ::)
               Bob                

BigBlockSam

that's  pretty cool. my kingdom for a lift! i do everything laying on the floor.  i thoght about making my 69 satellite into a 70 superbird.  it needs quarters and complete trunk anyway. Rene

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on October 26, 2005, 03:29:08 PM
What's in this car will keep the purists awake at night.   :icon_smile_big:

Hey, you left out the two different colored primers. :lol:

Oh well, at least it's still a complete running car. :apimp:

Daytona Guy

<<I don't think the weight of the wing would be relevant since the upright supports that are inside the trunk would take care of that. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the wing washer would be mostly used to keep the quarter panel sheet metal from getting distorted when the nuts are tightened to the studs at the base of the wing.>>

I would agree with this. The weight it taken off the washer and the Q-panel and transferred to the trunk. The washer makes everything snug around the bottom of the wing. The wing washers were designed first to be adequate to hold the wing, then after testing at 190+ speeds found the trunk Q buckling. Then they designed the trunk bracing. Then NASCAR got the Daytona and threw out the bracing and came up with their own.

djcarguy

Dragon Slayer

Do you have any ore pictures of the 500 by chance? Interior, motor etc???  You named that file hemi.