News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71-74 Charger rear louver question?

Started by BMOTOXSTAR, September 26, 2008, 07:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMOTOXSTAR

Hi,
So, how do the rear window louvers mount on a 71-74 Charger? Did they drill through the roof on the factory ones?
How do they mount onto the rear window? :shruggy:
I found an aftermarket rear louver for a 71-74 and the seller really does not know much about it except that it is aftermarket.
Thanks guys. :cheers:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

rudyjrusa

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on September 26, 2008, 07:41:43 PM
Hi,
So, how do the rear window louvers mount on a 71-74 Charger? Did they drill through the roof on the factory ones?
I found an aftermarket rear louver for a 71-74 and the seller really does not know much about it except that it is aftermarket.

i thought only 73/74 chargers have rear window louvers??  there are 4 screws for each louver.  2 on the top and 2 on the bottom.  the plastic pieces on car already have holes for screws.

Nacho-RT74

he talks about the louver over the rear windsheild not quarter ones.

I really can't help you, sorry.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

FLG

Got no idea either but please post of pics if you go for it

BMOTOXSTAR

The guy want $555 with shippig and says they are "aftermarket".
I saw the re-pop Challenger ones and they flip up and the hinges screw ontothe roof by the top rear window chrome piece. I do not want to do any drilling. :rotz:
The original louvers I have seen go for $2000
I hope that guy with the 71' R/T's chimes in, I think he has louvers.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

FLG

Got a pic of what the car looks like with em? Never saw them on a charger.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

FLG

um...interesting

Got something without a wing? Sorry but i dont think wings belong on 3rd gen chargers :shruggy:

Would like to really get an idea of what it looks like

Nacho-RT74

that was the firts pic came in to my mind, but sure it should be another pic around with original louvers from fact and still factory look, but hard to find... nothing saved on my PC

41husk

Try the photo shop thread DS440 does a great job showing how things will look.  He can put louvers on your year, model, color, and even wheels or other options and stripes.  You will know exactly how they would look.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Bob

Hi,

I have an all aluminum one but do not have the turn retainers to keep it down. The top of the louver has 2 hinges that go under the chrome. Maybe Nacho will find a schematic or diagram of how they mount.

71green go

On my 80 Z28 the mounts attach to the glass with 3M two way tape....same on my 07 mustang....then the tabs have studs that go thru the aluminum louver....been on Zd'r for years not a problem at all...no probs on Stang either....holds fantastic................Maybe the dodge ones were same??

chgr500

Here's a home made type version...all aluminium..no drilling for mounting...nothing near OEM, but was only $350 including shipping ..very strong and stays on well...the same one was recently on ebag for a bin price of $600  :yesnod:

Rallye

I have a factory set on my '72 Rallye.  Not original to the car, it came off of a '71.  Four holes need to be drilled into the body, two small holes above the rear window and two larger holes below the rear window in the quarters.  The top piece is held in place by two sheet metal screws that go through the roof right above the rear window, and also a bracket that just pushes between the chrome and roof.  The two side pieces have a stud near the bottom that goes through the quarter and into the truck area and is held by a small nut.  The two side pieces also screw directly to the top piece.  The center louver section is held by tabs that go into the side pieces and then locks in with a spring loaded pin.  Sorry I don't have pictures of it all apart.  But here's what it looks like installed...

1972 Charger Rallye - 400magnum

Rallye

I forgot to mention, the factory louvers for the Charger are different than the Road Runner.  The Charger uses part# 3570576.  The side pieces for the Charger louvers are longer.  If someone is telling you they fit all 71-74 B-bodies, that's not true.  Make sure you're getting the side pieces for a Dodge and not a Plymouth...  Just thought I should mention it.     

FLG

Hey Rallye...totally dig the car man, sweet color.

Do you have any pics of the rear with the whole car in the shot?

Nice ride 500

Rallye

Thanks FLG... Here's a pic of Rallye's rear.

Bob

Quote from: chgr500 on September 29, 2008, 07:28:39 PM
Here's a home made type version...all aluminium..no drilling for mounting...nothing near OEM, but was only $350 including shipping ..very strong and stays on well...the same one was recently on ebag for a bin price of $600  :yesnod:

Looks just like the one I have. Probably from the same vendor but mine was given to me. How did you mount it? Mine has the hinges at the top but I did not get any other attachments.

Bob

BMOTOXSTAR

Thanks for the help. Can you still get the one you have ?
The one on E-Bag just sold and the seller was going to send me an Best Offer invoice and sell it to me, seller sold it to a BIN bid instead. :brickwall: :flame:
If you have the info to order one that would be awesome !
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

chgr500

Quote from: Bob on September 30, 2008, 06:02:10 AM

Looks just like the one I have. Probably from the same vendor but mine was given to me. How did you mount it? Mine has the hinges at the top but I did not get any other attachments.

Bob

My louver has a single piano type hinge that fits under the window trim on the top...the bottom uses two small T type pieces in which half of it sits under the lower window trim and the other half sits on the glass and attaches to the louvre itself at the centre braces with two plastic bolts with nuts...I two sided taped the lower T pieces in place.
I had to do a fair amount of grinding to get the louver to sit closer to the glass..I don't have my car at home right now...gone for some Kemo on the 1/4 panels  :D

chgr500

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on September 30, 2008, 07:08:34 AM

The one on E-Bag just sold and the seller was going to send me an Best Offer invoice and sell it to me, seller sold it to a BIN bid instead. :brickwall: :flame:

I purchased this about three years ago...the fellow was having these made at a fabricating shop...he would sell you the product then have it made...took quite some time to receive the item and I think people were becoming impatient with him...  :RantExplode: he is no longer a registered user on eBag...
p.s. ...I was watching the one on eBay that you were likely interested in  :yesnod:

superduperbee

Quote from: chgr500 on September 30, 2008, 07:38:17 PM
Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on September 30, 2008, 07:08:34 AM

I purchased this about three years ago...the fellow was having these made at a fabricating shop...he would sell you the product then have it made...took quite some time to receive the item and I think people were becoming impatient with him...  :RantExplode: he is no longer a registered user on eBag...
p.s. ...I was watching the one on eBay that you were likely interested in  :yesnod:

I bought this same louver on ebay a couple years ago as well. The top hinge is too thick to fit under the window chrome.

KS71owner

I have a '71, and I'd LOVE to eventually put louvers on it once I have the cash. They look absolutely awesome, and not many of the Chargers around here have them. I hate the thought of drilling holes in the body....not like drilling for a rear spoiler, and that was stressful enough, especially for a 17 year old kid with a limited budget!  :eek2:

That was long ago though...

superbee383

Does anyone know if the 1971 A44 rear window louver option was available on a vinyl top car or just a painted roof??  Found a vendor   http://sixpackperformance.net/home.php?cat=315  selling repo louvers, but all the pix I've seen show them painted gloss black.  I'd love to put these on mine, but it might look funny with a vinyl top.. :smilie_help:
71 Superbee
04 Avalanche Z66
04 Jaguar XJ8

Rallye

superbee383... Here's a coupe pics of a '71 with vinyl top and louvers.  I don't know if the louvers are original to the car or if they were even available on a vinyl top car, but I think it looks great.  By the way, if you happen to get those louvers from the link you posted, please post any installation information or instruction.  Looks like they come with some different mounting hardware than mine has.  I'd love to know what all that is in the package.       

73chargergt

The louver looks sweet, I might order one...  Where could I get one from?  Anyone have one for sale?  PM ME if you do and the price. 

Sorry for jackig your thread  :cheers:

plum500

Bump... anyone ever get a line on these things? The ones fitted like Rallye - those are awesome. I don't mind drilling the holes for that.

Should I make a mould...? I wonder if a set could be designed to attach to a few fasteners that could be tacked on to the body, rather than drilling.  :scratchchin:

If I could find a set of those though, I slap them on in a second.

plum500

I *need* to have a set of these on my car. I'm just typing it to make it official... going to make a set up. We'll see how it goes. :)

Shooting for them to look like this, but not require drilling.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: rudyjrusa on September 27, 2008, 08:32:07 AM
Hi,

i thought only 73/74 chargers have rear window louvers??  there are 4 screws for each louver.  2 on the top and 2 on the bottom.  the plastic pieces on car already have holes for screws.

73/74 Chargers never had anything cool on them. :poke:

Ghoste

What, you don't like louvered opera windows?

plum500

I am going to make a set of these. Just finishing up the plans to attach without drilling.

FLG

Quote from: plum500 on October 18, 2012, 09:17:52 PM
I am going to make a set of these. Just finishing up the plans to attach without drilling.

Can you make a set of 71 r/t hood louvers?  :drool5:

ODZKing