News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No power after 'repair'

Started by kaldurak, September 24, 2008, 10:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaldurak

I was working on my 68 charger, pulled the dash and replaced a few bulbs then connected everything back up, turned the key on verified all the lights work, then went to start the car and after probably 2/10th of a crank everything went dead.  I've checked and verified that I am not getting power to the dash, although my positive feed from the battery to the dash is good (checked with an ohm meter).  What did I screw up?

Thanks!

41husk

did you check the fuse box?  You may have a exposed wire going to ground,  On my 68 I kept blowing fuses and would have no dash lights or tail lights found an open wire in the trunk, taped it up, replaced the fuse and was good to go.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

kaldurak

Checked the fuse box, all are good.  This is very odd, as I've never had a problem before.  I'll check for shorts.

41husk

does the power to the dash come and go, or once you lost it, it stayed gone?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

y3chargerrt

2Gunz

I would say the connections are lose on the Amp meter.

Or that the Amp meter died.

Use your meter.... ground the black probe to some metal someplace.

Then use the red probe on BOTH sides of the Amp meter.. one side at a time.

You should have 12 ish volts.

kaldurak

Power is totally gone from the dash... I'll check the amp meter tonight when I get home.  Thanks for the tips/suggestions.  I'll reply with my findings.

NMike

check you battery connections. especially the grounds. i have the same problem with a car of mine with a trunk mount kit. i have to wiggle the ground to get it to go.