News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wheres all the info on supercharging a small block?

Started by 1968_Charger, October 05, 2008, 08:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

hey guys,
im looking to supercharge my charger over the winter and i cant seem to find any info on doing it. heres the supercharger i got. its a b&m

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/37345_favorite_engine_combinations/index.html

i dont plan on running any more than 6-7 psi so i should be ok on the stock engine right?
im also looking for a step by step install  guide if anybody knows where i could get it on the web.
id appreciate any help you guys can give me.
thanks
ray

J-440

Pick up this issue of HOT ROD Magazine.  They have a stroked 400 with a s-charger making 1100 horses on pump gas.  Not a very detailed build but they list all the parts for making big power.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

1968_Charger

Challenger340

You are using Forged Pistons, Right ?

By "stock engine", you don't mean "stock", or "bone stock", as in "untouched" do you ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

acelondon

My 318 is BONE STOCK, and i would like to toss the 2bbl and get a supercharger and a nice exhaust system. Same as above, nothing too much, just enough to make it move. I also have some 360 heads laying around i might toss on. Do i need to to a complete rebuild just to 'charge this block? (65,000 miles)

1968_Charger

from what ive read, as long as it has less than 9.0:1 compression right now it should be fine with 6 psi or less. but you will run into the same problem im having, no one makes stuff to supercharge a smallblock unless you put a big blower on it. i got lucky and found one that had the custom manifold with it, all i need is the crank pulley (which is a bigger pain than i thought it would be to find).  unless you go with a 6-71 or bigger i dont think you are going to find a setup for a smallblock.  and with those bigger blowers im not sure what you can do on a stock engine.

J-440

68...The Supercharger Store specifies centrifugal blowers for big block Mopars only.  But with a little hot rod inginuity and some help from them I'll bet you could do something to that 318 of yours.  Good luck.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

acelondon

if its not a roots, i don't want it. roots pumps gas and air, not just air.

1968_Charger

ive checked with them. and everyone else for that matter  :brickwall: unless i get the lower pulley custom made, or i happen to come across an old one, theres no way to get one. right now im looking at using a magnum style 7 rib crank pulley. does anyone know if it would work on a non magnum 360?