News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some help with wires

Started by cpthowdy1369, November 24, 2008, 09:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpthowdy1369

Hey guys,  the instrument panel lights on my 69 Charger don't work.

According to my wire diagram, there is supposed to be a tan wire that goes from the middle prong on the dimmer switch straight to the last fuse on the right of the fuse block.  I checked the tan wire at the dimmer switch and there is power going out,  but when I got to the fuse block,  there is a brown wire where the tan wire should be, and there is no power running through the fuse. 
I dont think anyone has messed with the fuse block before me.

Also, there is a 20amp fuse in the space where the 3amp fuse goes(last space on right side of block)  would that keep the instrument lights from working?
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!

runningman

That is not good, I am not sure what that fuse is for but whatever it goes to could be fried. 

runningman

I'll have to check my wiring diagram when I get home from work......

John_Kunkel

Quote from: cpthowdy1369 on November 24, 2008, 09:34:04 AM
I checked the tan wire at the dimmer switch and there is power going out,  but when I got to the fuse block,  there is a brown wire where the tan wire should be, and there is no power running through the fuse. 

The brown wire probably left the factory tan but the insulation has darkened to brown due to overheating. The oversized fuse was no doubt installed because the 3-amp was failing due to a fault (short) downstream of the fuse.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

1969chargerrtse

My Panel/dimmer switch was open ( N/G ) so I think I jumped from the blk/yellow wire to the tan wire and the dash is now full lit, by passing the dimmer part. 

Get yourself a cheap lamp tester and poke around where you do and don't have power.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

cpthowdy1369

Thanks for your help guys,  I really do appreciate it.  :icon_smile_big:   The lamp tester is how I know there is power at the tan wire connected to the dimmer switch but not the brown wire connected to the fuse.

Is it possible that the tan wire is fried only part of the way? :scratchchin:

I think I might just cut the wire at both ends and run a new wire. 

If that doesn't work or if I just get to frustrated,  I will jump the power from the headlight switch.

Again, thanks guys. :cheers:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: cpthowdy1369 on November 24, 2008, 08:14:36 PM
Thanks for your help guys,  I really do appreciate it.  :icon_smile_big:   The lamp tester is how I know there is power at the tan wire connected to the dimmer switch but not the brown wire connected to the fuse.

Is it possible that the tan wire is fried only part of the way? :scratchchin:

I think I might just cut the wire at both ends and run a new wire. 

If that doesn't work or if I just get to frustrated,  I will jump the power from the headlight switch.

Again, thanks guys. :cheers:

That is exactly what I was going to suggest.  You're on the right path and will have it soon.  :2thumbs:
Not to confuse you (con FUSE, get it  :smilielol: ) but it looks like the tan wire from the fuse goes to the lamp circuit.  The power comes from the headlamp switch, goes thru the dimmer ( check that the dimmer is not N/G ) and out to the fuse and then the lamps. Yes?  So you know what where you need to fix things.  Go get em. :patriot:

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

runningman

Yes, your tan wire has been your new fuse and has probably been broken somewhere under the insulation.  Is the insulation stiff?  The color coded diagram I have shows the wiring to the fuse is tan and the outgoing wiring to the lighting circuit is orange.  Sounds like the tan wire will need to be replaced and the fuse sized properly.   

cpthowdy1369

If I used 16 gauge wire to do this instead of 18 gauge, would it hurt anything?

runningman

Thicker gauge wire will be fine, sounds like there is another problem somewhere.  You should check the brown and orange wire to see if it is grounded anywhere before trying to energize that circuit.  Most important is to make sure the fuse is the proper size.  It was sized to protect the components down the line.

cpthowdy1369

WHOA,  I just found this pic on e-bay.  It's a used fuse box for a 69 charger(duh).  It has the same brown wire hooked up to the last fuse (where the tan wire from the dimmer switch belongs).  Is my wire diagram wrong?  does the tan wire splice into somewhere before it reaches the fusebox?

I forgot to mention that I have the ignition switch light and the cigar lighter light that also dont work,  do these things figure in the problem with the instrument panel lights at all?

cpthowdy1369

Anyone?  I just want to be sure of things before I start to cut and splice wires and mess up more than I fix. :-\

Ghoste

That "brown" one is your tan one and it should go straight from the fuse box to the panel dimmer on your dash.  The ashtray light gets power from the instrument lighting, and I think the ignition switch lamp does as well but I'd have to pore over the wiring diagram and I'm sure there is someone on here who knows for certain.

runningman

It doesn't appear to splice anywhere before the fuseblock on my drawing......

cpthowdy1369

That's what I needed to know,  thanks guys.  I appreciate your help.