News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

R4 Daytona SE w/ 6-pack coming up for auction

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, September 13, 2008, 05:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

On page 2 there is a link 6 pack daytona comes up for auction with video

The other thing is that daytonas were built from from 427 April 27 - 6 12 June 12.This is a early car with a 610  scheduled production date Job #926164 for XX29L9B414619
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

And yet there is a Daytona with a SPD in February as well. And June 10th is far from early consiering that there were cars built in April and all of May as well. Last Daytona is only 4,000 VIN digits later, and the first one is over 45,000 digits earlier.

nascarxx29

Most likely still the Dale reeker XX29L9B287970 maybe be the 1st daytona?Friend of mine has a daytona which is on the ship list as dodge executive garage car that never went to dealer its loaded with PW etc it had a buildsheet. Which I got a copy of is a 355 car with a 926028 # job number.the other climed number 1 daytona is 355101 with a 427 SPD #926020

hemigeno
Old Timer

'69 HemiCharger R/T 4-speed

Re: Daytona #1 for sale?
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 06:19:54 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

287970 still exists, and might be going in for a restoration soon.  It has what can best be explained as some prototype features found on no other Daytona - and was almost certainly used by Creative to mock up the nosecone.  Out of any of 'em, 287970 can legitimately lay claim as both the first, and the lowest VIN Daytona.  There is some pretty convincing photographic evidence of that too,

69_500

Thats what I was trying to say Dave. You have the Dale Reeker car that is the lowest VIN by far, then you have 355101 which would be the first one that is actually in a batch, and then you have this one that is a the first shipped, then you also have another one that is the first shipped to a US Dealership. So you have 4 cars that can somewhat lay claim to being the first Daytona, but even of those you don't know for certain which one was done first. Although with some strong evidence that I've seen I'd still say that Dale's car was the first one that was even converted. There is photographic evidence that at least one Daytona was converted before April 1st 1969 which puts it before this first shipped Daytona which wasn't shipped until what 4 months later?

Daytona Guy

I will not pretend to know why but I will add...

We bought a 70 Charger RT with a dealer installed Daytona wing that just came with "wing washers" (23-stanchion reinforcements) that were welded on. It was sturdy and was driven daily for years and even dragged for about five years with no problems what-so-ever with the quarters.

I am just wondering. The NASCAR version of the Daytona did not use the production wing bracing but used their own, most individually created by each team, and therefore the homologation rules did not apply to the wing bracing. Even the early test cars of the Daytona did not have wing bracing until the rear trunk quarters were compromised at the new top speeds that the Daytona was achieving. Of course the production Daytona's did not list top speeds of 180-200mph. Early on the wing bracing may not have been something they were going to require. Just a thought.

Top 10 scenarios to why the wing braces where not installed on this early Daytona.

1. Wing bracing was viewed optional on the early Daytona's and one got out the door until they implemented the standard. (CYA)

2. Maybe because the supplier was not on time and this early Daytona did not have them installed.

3. A simple oversight. Wing bracing was viewed as not important, this one went out the door early and soon after at a staff meeting the boss laid down the law.

4. The dealership that received it did not want them. They wanted more room in the trunk.

5. The Mafia ordered it and needed more trunk room.

6. The trunk mat did not have holes for the braces and the engineers did not know what to do.

7. They put the wing on in the wrong order and the bracing would not fit.

8. A Creative employee thought they were Z bracing to the frame mounts.

9. Creative got a box of Daytona parts from Canada that were missing the braces. (Just kidding)

10. The jack engineer was fighting with the wing engineer over the braces being to close, so the scissor jack engineer snuck in at night and altered the build sheet.

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona Guy on September 26, 2008, 01:35:31 AM
I will not pretend to know why but I will add...

We bought a 70 Charger RT with a dealer installed Daytona wing that just came with "wing washers" (23-stanchion reinforcements) that were welded on. It was sturdy and was driven daily for years and even dragged for about five years with no problems what-so-ever with the quarters.

I am just wondering. The NASCAR version of the Daytona did not use the production wing bracing but used their own, most individually created by each team, and therefore the homologation rules did not apply to the wing bracing. Even the early test cars of the Daytona did not have wing bracing until the rear trunk quarters were compromised at the new top speeds that the Daytona was achieving. Of course the production Daytona's did not list top speeds of 180-200mph. Early on the wing bracing may not have been something they were going to require. Just a thought.

Top 10 scenarios to why the wing braces where not installed on this early Daytona.

1. Wing bracing was viewed optional on the early Daytona's and one got out the door until they implemented the standard. (CYA)

2. Maybe because the supplier was not on time and this early Daytona did not have them installed.

3. A simple oversight. Wing bracing was viewed as not important, this one went out the door early and soon after at a staff meeting the boss laid down the law.

4. The dealership that received it did not want them. They wanted more room in the trunk.

5. The Mafia ordered it and needed more trunk room.

6. The trunk mat did not have holes for the braces and the engineers did not know what to do.

7. They put the wing on in the wrong order and the bracing would not fit.

8. A Creative employee thought they were Z bracing to the frame mounts.

9. Creative got a box of Daytona parts from Canada that were missing the braces. (Just kidding)

10. The jack engineer was fighting with the wing engineer over the braces being to close, so the scissor jack engineer snuck in at night and altered the build sheet.

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

Don't laugh too much, number 10 could be the one if I guess by some of the engineers where I work.

hotrod98

11. One of the creative employees decided to build his own wingcar by stealing one part at a time.
Unfortunately he was fired the following day before he could get the wing washers because he accidentally mixed up all of the seats out of the cars.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 26, 2008, 10:00:48 AM
11. One of the creative employees decided to build his own wingcar by stealing one part at a time.
Unfortunately he was fired the following day before he could get the wing washers because he accidentally mixed up all of the seats out of the cars.
did they fit in his lunch box?  no thats not a wing upright in the pants leg  :shruggy:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

62 Max

Beep Beep Dave

That video makes for good entertainment. Too bad it was pulled.
I am not sure why it was pulled but the car was repainted in the 1980's, video states last painted at the dealer in 1971 :icon_smile_blackeye:
Video says car was bought new with six pack setup, with no documentation to back in up. Meanwhile that too was added years later.  :icon_smile_blackeye:  IT IS NOT A DEALER SIX PACK CAR.
Interesting the owner also mentioned that the fender top holes under the scoops were filled during the repaint...at this point I am wondering if that was the truth or maybe this wasn't done at Creative too????

Neat car and based on the Shipment list it has the best claim to 1st Daytona in my opinion.

Here's some more pics
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Beep Beep Dave

Some more

1970 Charger R/T

Beep Beep Dave

Last pic is to show the wiring is missing for the trunk light? Think Creative might have lost it during conversion? Factory mistake? Owner mod?
Who's ever seen a heater box like that? I haven't :shruggy:

1970 Charger R/T

Beep Beep Dave

1970 Charger R/T

nascarxx29

Things also noticed from that video the fender holes closed up at time of repaint .Everybody shoves a sponge in the scoop.
The mag hubcaps wrong valve covers door speaker and underdash CB ? or Radio.You think a PW SE might have a FM
The missing wing braces and original spare and any documentation from this 1 owner car.

69_500

So Dave, is this the same car that was discussed over on Moparts that someone said they put the 6 pack on the car in the early 80's? That it wasn't on there when new? I was thinking it was the same car, but wanted to hear it from someone else as well.

I take it you have looked the car over in person then Dave?

nascarxx29

I believe it was Beep Beep Dave who has the Canada wingcar scene covered that had that first hand 6 pack daytona info on moparts .Who also found my car in Canada .It trust his eyes and ears of Canadian wingcars going ons .I havent seen this one up close

nascarxx29

Dayclona on moparts introduced that car in the mod top topic
Mike you got most of that story right except the car wasn't a six pack car until well into the 1990's.
I heard an interesting story about the car when it was new. mccannix knows the car well and even provided the six pack setup that current sits on the engine. Hopefully he will see this and chime in.

#4516283 - Fri Jun 27 2008 10:15 PM   Edit     Reply     Quote     Quick Reply   

Here's pics of the "6 pak" car......still owned by the original owner, who took possession of it at Winston Dodge, in 69......still in somewhat "original" condition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike you got most of that story right except the car wasn't a six pack car until well into the 1980's.

Mike... Dave (69 SIX PACK ) has it right...the car was a 440-4v brand new as delivered in 1969 to Kingston Dodge, 12 miles up the road from me, and it left there a 440-4v.
The dealership owner Jerome Taylor, put an early order in for one and after the CNE the 414619 SE Daytona went to Kingston Dodge.
Taylor had a tough time getting interest in it since no one had seen one up to that time.
After over a month of trying to sell it, one Friday evening 4 young lads showed up wanting to buy the car.
Taylor in a effort to rid himself of it, took a check from one of the lads and the Daytona left, so technically Chesebrough was not the first to own it.
The following Monday, the check bounced and Taylor called the guy and stated "your check is no good" to which the lad replied "neither is your car, it's at the end of the Desoronto Dragstrip with a blown tranny".
The good ol boys had raced it at the local track all weekend.
So the car went back to Kingston Dodge, the trans was rebuilt and it was moved to the back of the lot.
Chesebrough saw it one day and claimed he initially bought it because it was odd looking, but he came to like driving it.
He asked me in the 80's about putting a sixpack on it.
I tried to persuade him not to, but he persisted and a 6 pak set-up was provided.
Billy Day, a local Mopar genius and the only guy who ever had a real chance to buy the car but screwed up, installed it and I supplied an NOS air cleaner.
I told the good doctor to make sure and keep the original intake/carb set-up...
As for "somewhat original condition", I heard the car had a paint job about the same time and a small nose repair of sorts.
I believe the car was for sale several months ago in Hemmings for $225,000.00 

Beep Beep Dave

I have never seen the car in person. Terry McCann first told me about the car in the late 1980's and I have been following it ever since. I really enjoyed the dragstrip story.
I know of a few different fellows that have tried to buy it over the years without much success.
I do have quite a few pics of it. Very cool car with some nice history. I am not sure at all why the good Doctor is trying to embellish the story on the car, It really doesn't need it. (Except to become more sale-able :smilielol:)
It will be an interesting auction to watch on ebay, I don't think it will come close to the $200k that they think it is worth but I have been wrong before! I wonder if it will have a reserve :shruggy:

Dave

1970 Charger R/T

69_500

If they think that they will be getting $200K for it in that shape, I highly doubt it. That is unless there is someone out there with way too much money, and no interest in these cars (IE actual knowledge).

WingCharger

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 26, 2008, 10:00:48 AM

I got her one piece at a time, and it didnt cost me a dime. Youll know its me when I come through your town.

-The Immortal Mnan In Black.

FJMG

Great paperwork nascarxx29.  Am I understanding correctly that the wing washers (#23) were welded on after the paint (#12)?

Ghoste

That Daytona with the Six Pack on it is coming up for aucxtion again.  This time we will have it at RM for our Toronto auction in a week and a half.  The story the office is caliming is that it was dealer installed when new but I thought it was installed later?

nascarxx29

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on October 15, 2008, 03:40:29 AM
That Daytona with the Six Pack on it is coming up for aucxtion again.  This time we will have it at RM for our Toronto auction in a week and a half.  The story the office is caliming is that it was dealer installed when new but I thought it was installed later?

According to a newbie on 'Style that was hawking the on-line auction, the car sold for US$118,500.  Ghoste, do you know if that sale actually went through, or was it repurchased by the seller and they're giving it another go through RM?

:scratchchin: :popcrn: