News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Standox Paint?

Started by dads_69, October 18, 2008, 01:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi-hampton

Most Reps I've talked to have been totally useless with little actual hands on experiance & the experiance some do have is with new car methods/technique that have little to do with older car restoration. They have been working on Water Base paint for 20 years now & I dont think they will ever have it perfected. LEON.

dads_69

Well, the paint rep sent to our shop has some good info. an knowledge, but not as much as I do of PPG and other brands. He appears either tired of questions or just flat out board. There is an average of 4 variances, which IMO, not enough. No paint codes for older cars past 1980 hardly come up.
I did tell the paint rep, paint is paint, lets get it on and tell me what info. I need to be happy.
He from that point realized how I feel about the product, oh well, as long as I make $$ I'll work w/it and use what I know and trust on other car/trucks when customers chose a different brand on his or her vehicle vs. Standox.
My opinion on Standox is still the same, it sucks ass.

Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

FJ571440B

LOL, I thought you might say that. Just remember the basics,like you said paint is paint,it has to be reduced,sprayed and allowed to dry.Some faster/slower than others.Matching is going to be the hard part,if it is that bad,try to blend as much as possible,even if your not paid to do the panel,it will save you money in the long run.

Do you know exactly WHY your boss decided to go wih this paint? If he thinks it is cheaper,he's wrong,it is going to screw all of you in the long run coming in short(soon).He is going to get pissed losing when he loses money,and come back on you,the painter for it,saying you're not doing things properly. Re-do's,potential for other jobs,using more material,time...it dont cost 2 or 3x as much,but 5-7x as much by the time you figure all that in realistically.
Good luck Man! 
:cheers:
Next time....

FJ571440B

Oh yeah,the Rep. probably knows the paint sucks ass as well,it is merely just a paycheck for him.  :yesnod:
Next time....

dads_69

My boss knows how I feel about the paint rep and his lack of info. So maybe he can read between the lines, by now and hopefully he'll come to he senses and get rid of the crap.
Boss painted a GM truck, code WA382E yes a bitch of a color for many, I don't care who you are or which brand of paint you use, that color sucks to match. I blend any time I feel need be regardless if I get paid to do it or not.
It all comes out in the end as a payoff for me.
Boss painted the WA382e pewter, ha, he screwed the pooch on it too. To green, couldn't get a good match to come up on computer or blend. He ended up painting more then needed and finally said it's done, even though it wasn't IMO. I said, hey, your the boss, you make the calls.
Even the paint rep said I have a good eye for color matching, it did look to green to him as well, I said yeah, and I'm not even a paint rep, how about that!?
We have 5 old muscle cars at the shop needing paint, soon, and we won't be using Standox either on the due to can't get paint code from Standox, gees, can you lame?

In the mean time, I'll do my normal best and hopefully boss will see the paint line sucks (ass).

Thanks for listening and comments.  :D

hemi-hampton

I did that GM 382E Pewter on my buddy's Truck recently after he hit a Deer. Painted in my Driveway. Luckily I used PPG & the color matched pretty good. I hate light metallics like this gold pewter but came out ok. Many cheaper Paints like PPG's budget line of Omni (now shop line) will tell you ahead of time not good for color matches & they have a big sign at the Painters Supply store saying so. They'll suggest good for spraying a whole car over spotting. Good if you work at a Maaco maybe. The reason they tell me is the amounts of Tints available are much less making colors less accurate. Open 2 tints of the same # from 2 different paint companies & tell me what you see, lot of times 2 different colors. LEON.

FJ571440B

Heard that,try some of the new Lexus colors or VW colors,LOTS of modeling! Gotta hold the gun(SATA 2000 1.2 tip)back a bit and lay a nice wet even coat,spray some fade-out on it and let it flow.Sometimes back 2 back coats horizontal and vertical over the whole panel to make it look solid,(if you can understand that,sure you can)and lose the blotchy-ness. Stuff sucks sometimes,but end results make you feel like king shit.  :2thumbs:
Next time....

dads_69

Well, after buying more new paint guns, Iwata base and clear guns. And learning more about how to lay materail down vs. what I've been used too, it's all coming along better for me. I'm still a PPG/Dupont guy, Standox is not going to replace those products like new paint rep said they would, idiot.
So now my two cents is, on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being great, it's a 6 and that's it period.Thanks for all the info. and comments.
Mark

Charger-Bodie

Funny part about it is, If you re boss would have allowed you to be a part of the decision you would likely be alot happier with the product!
But he did it behind you re back , creating animosity ,and anger toward the stuff from the very beginning! He must not be too great at employee relations.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............