News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

windshield removed

Started by john108, October 18, 2008, 06:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

I just removed my windshield and rubber seal (68 Charger).  There is some black sticky filler on the metal and glass.  I tried to remove some with Acetone and it didn't cut it very well.
What solvent do you think might disolve it.

Charger-Bodie

you will want to scrape as much as you can with a plastic scraper (if youre trying to save the paint) then lacquer thinner and a rag.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Hemidog

On a side note, how hard is it to remove a windshield without breaking the glass? You have to cut up the seal?

Ghoste

Theres a bit of art to it.  It isn't difficult but it seems like someone who has done a few can pop them out of there with ease and someone doing it for the first time, well their results may vary.  :icon_smile_wink:

john108

I got one of those knife blades that have a hooked tip.  I think they may be used by carpet installers.  The sharp part of the blade is on the inside of the hook.  I cut around the windshield along the center of the seal and stripped off the outer surface of the seal exposing the edge of the glass, all the way around.
Then I was able to pull the remaining half of the seal from the inside of the car, away from the glass (VERY SLOWLY). 

68 CHARGER R/T

i just used the old fishing wire technique. but you need two people to seperate it from the seal.  :Twocents: