News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4bbl Holley, what CFM IS IT?

Started by ky509, October 21, 2008, 11:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ky509

I recently purchased a 1967 chrysler 300 in order to get the 440 engine for a superbee i`m building. I noticed that instead of the normal Carter AFB carb this engine has a Holley 4bbl. I got the numbers off it and searched the web over trying to find out what the CFM rating is on it, NO LUCK AT ALL.

Following is the numbers off the air horn

3849 and below this number

LIST 4386

It is the square bowl type carb with side hung floats and a transfer tube between the bowls. There is no doubt this carb is stock for this engine. Every thing including all the linkages fit the car perfectly. When I search data bases the highest I get is List 4365 for mopars then they go back to carters.

Are there anyone on this site with any info on these older Holley's on the mopars. I sure would like to know the CFM rating of this one.

Thanks
Ed

FLG

Double check the List number. Im going to bet its 4346 which is a 780 CFM 4BBL, vac secondary carb.

hemigeno

Quote from: FLG on October 21, 2008, 11:49:47 AM
Double check the List number. Im going to bet its 4346 which is a 780 CFM 4BBL, vac secondary carb.

4346 is a Carter carb number, not a Holley.  The list I have shows that number to be the "cheater" carb for 426Hemi RO/WO factory drag cars.

I still don't know what carb you actually have, but if the number is correct I wouldn't bet it's a stock carb.  4386 is too high of a number for 1967, which is why I would doubt it's an original carb.  One of the two numbers is undoubtedly a date code, but I don't dabble in enough Holley stuff to know how they coded things - or which one of the two numbers is the date and which is the carb number.  If 3849 is the date code, it's probably in the 10,000 day calendar format which would make it February 10, 1972.  My reference material doesn't decode a 4346 code in that 10k day format, but it would be several years newer than the '72 date.

It might be a dealer replacement installed at some point.  Galen's books are pretty devoid of information on Holleys and I don't have much 1967 paperwork - much less anything that shows what the CFM would be.

Ed, I thought you were going to slap a 6-pack setup on that Bee?  I love the F6 color too.   :2thumbs:

ky509

Quote from: hemigeno on October 23, 2008, 10:36:01 AM
Quote from: FLG on October 21, 2008, 11:49:47 AM
Double check the List number. I'm going to bet its 4346 which is a 780 CFM 4BBL, vac secondary carb.

4346 is a Carter carb number, not a Holley.  The list I have shows that number to be the "cheater" carb for 426Hemi RO/WO factory drag cars.

I still don't know what carb you actually have, but if the number is correct I wouldn't bet it's a stock carb.  4386 is too high of a number for 1967, which is why I would doubt it's an original carb.  One of the two numbers is undoubtedly a date code, but I don't dabble in enough Holley stuff to know how they coded things - or which one of the two numbers is the date and which is the carb number.  If 3849 is the date code, it's probably in the 10,000 day calendar format which would make it February 10, 1972.  My reference material doesn't decode a 4346 code in that 10k day format, but it would be several years newer than the '72 date.

It might be a dealer replacement installed at some point.  Galen's books are pretty devoid of information on Holleys and I don't have much 1967 paperwork - much less anything that shows what the CFM would be.

Ed, I thought you were going to slap a 6-pack setup on that Bee?  I love the F6 color too.   :2thumbs:

First off, this is most definitely a Holley carb, not a Carter. I`ve been rebuilding carbs for over 40 years. Now with that out of the way, I have also been reading for over 40 years, but do on occasion get numbers wrong,lol, my eyes are failing me :-\.  I rechecked the List number for the 4th time and I think I may have made an error on the third digit. The third digit is very difficult to make out. I took a magnifying glass, flash light and one of the wife's green scratch pads and read it again. There is a real good chance that the third digit is a 6 in stead of an 8. So, the identifier just may be LIST 4366. I havn`t tried to run this number yet and won`t have time till this evening.

I am using a 6 pack on the superbee. I have one of the factory aluminum manifolds and a pristine set of genuine factory Holley's to go on it. I`ve had this setup rat holed for a long time waiting on the right project.

This Holley carb List 4366 or what ever the number is that I am working on is probably going to wind up on a 440 I may put in a 1930 Chevy sedan. There are some fellers in the rat rod hobby that try and build rat rods as cheap as possible. My Superbee build is leaving me with a lot of left over mopar stuff that I will have little to nothing in. SO, I am thinking of building the 30 sedan with an all mopar drive line. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW NASTY QUICK THAT THING WILL BE WITH A BIG BLOCK MOPAR IN IT? When the wife found out my plans on the 30 Chevy she up ed my insurance 100K .

ALSO
I`m right now dealing on a 1976 Winnebago. It should have the 440 with the reinforced main saddle webbing and heavier duty motor mount stanchions. If I can land this stuff for the superbee then I`ll have all the 67 C Body stuff for the 30 Chevy.

I havn`t seen the Winnebago yet, but I`m thinking those things also came with Dana 60`s  for rear ends. If it does have the Dana then i`m sure I`ll make the purchase. I`ll send the Dana to Moser Engineering for some resizing and a set of leaf spring mounts that will fit my superbee springs. That is if it all looks doable.

Anyhow, thanks for all your help in trying to sort out this old Holley.

Ed

hemigeno

If it's a 4366, Galen's little white book shows that to be:

R4366 1970 440-4 with automatic trans, and he happens to list it as a 570cfm carb for full-size (C-body) Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler/Imperials with or without air conditioning.

That might help narrow things down a little.  Your '30 rat rod project sounds pretty cool, as do some of your other works-in-progress.

Charger_Fan

Here's a semi-handy site I found a while back; http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/MasterList/index29.html
Your number is near the bottom. Pretty much what Geno said...but maybe it'll be of some use in the future, for other carbs. :shruggy:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

ky509

Quote from: hemigeno on October 23, 2008, 01:37:52 PM
If it's a 4366, Galen's little white book shows that to be:

R4366 1970 440-4 with automatic trans, and he happens to list it as a 570cfm carb for full-size (C-body) Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler/Imperials with or without air conditioning.

That might help narrow things down a little.  Your '30 rat rod project sounds pretty cool, as do some of your other works-in-progress.

I think I will go with your findings. Being that it is a model 4160 with a transfer tube and a 440ci engine at about 83% VE AT 5500 RPM will figure out to be about or close to 600 cfm, so 570 cfm sounds about right to me.
when I get the engine out of the car i`ll confirm those numbers. With what you have found tho, I`d say these last numbers we ran (4366)are the correct numbers.

Thanks a bunch for all your help.

Ed

ky509

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on October 23, 2008, 03:19:57 PM
Here's a semi-handy site I found a while back; http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/MasterList/index29.html
Your number is near the bottom. Pretty much what Geno said...but maybe it'll be of some use in the future, for other carbs. :shruggy:

I think Geno is probably dead on with the info he provided me.
Thanks for the site address. I checked it out and it does have a lot of info on it. There is an A at the end of the LIST number on this site. But the number listed is for a 1970 car so that could indicate some sort of emission control vacuum port or something similar. I have found a lot of that in the high performance holleys and replacement holleys, where they will add a letter or a dash number to the end of the list number and all it does is to identify some small change or improvement.

Thanks

Ed

ky509

Hey fellers, I just received the below info from the tech department at Holley.
Ed

List # 4366 is a model 4160 for a 67 440 it is 600 CFM
renew kit part # 3-397
Thanks Ricky

kent

Guys I know this is a ancient thread. Bare with me. Any information would be a great help.
Well I have 70 500 383 HP 2 Orange original 23000 miler with a Holley carb List 4366 date code # 1210. According to the above link it came off a 70 440. Could this be the original carb or did somebody change it out?  Also could someone explain the date code.

Many Thanks.

Ok got the date code figured out.   
121 is the day of the year =March. 0 is the year could be 1960-1970-1980-1990  I think it's safe to assume it from 1970. I'm hoping.
Kent

John_Kunkel

121 in a non-leap year would be May 1st. The single-digit year leaves a lot of ambiguity, 1960 is out because that carb wasn't produced before 1969...I think it's safe to assume it's an original made in 1970.

What is the scheduled build date (from the fender tag) of your car? An original carb's build date should be before the car's production date.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

kent

Thanks John. Never was that good at math. lol
No fender tag, wrong build sheet. Just the matching serial #'s on the frame, engine, transmission, warranty card, and registration.  The door tag says 4-70. So I believe that means April :'(  So not really possible it being the original carb eh?

Thanks again John
Kent