News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing radio from 69 Charger A/C car

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 25, 2008, 03:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I spent a lot of time " trying " to remove my radio from all these odd spots ( under the dash, out through the glove box  :rotz:) from several friends advise.  I couldn't find a thread here and it wasn't until Brian (1hot68 ) gave me some great detail ideas that I finally got it out.  It only took about 1 hour overall.  I removed the glove box so I could get my hand in sideways to swing the radio around.  Do remove your battery cable, my car almost went up in flames when I swung the radio  around and it touched a hot wire off the gauge cluster.  ::)   What I did was make a small cut with a dremal type tool on the upper opening so the light wire can come out without getting cut.  I then loossen-ed the radio and swung it around so it was coming out sideways.  You pull it out until the buttons touch the right side.  At this point I marked where they touched and cut out a nice 1/8" deep 1/2 moon slot so I could push each button in one at a time and pull that sucker out. You can see the shiny metal next to the mount screw in the picture. The replacement radio as seen in the picture went in with ease.  :2thumbs: There is very little damage overall and it gets hidden anyway.  Hope this helps or otherwise have fun yanking the entire dash or instrument cluster out.  :eek2: ( A/C cars only )
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Chatt69chgr

I took my radio just like the one you have pictured out of my 69 charger and didn't remove the inst panel.  I did take out the glove box (destroying it in the process) and had to remove some of the ductwork but it came right out.  I intended on replacing the glove box anyway as it was not in good condition.  Not sure that I had to take it out.  I never could figure out how to "properly" take the glove box out so I just tore it out being cardboard and all.  I am not looking forward to trying to put the new one back in.  I think you have to fold it up some way or the other. 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on October 25, 2008, 08:35:58 PM
I took my radio just like the one you have pictured out of my 69 charger and didn't remove the inst panel.  I did take out the glove box (destroying it in the process) and had to remove some of the ductwork but it came right out.  I intended on replacing the glove box anyway as it was not in good condition.  Not sure that I had to take it out.  I never could figure out how to "properly" take the glove box out so I just tore it out being cardboard and all.  I am not looking forward to trying to put the new one back in.  I think you have to fold it up some way or the other. 
No way mine would come out through the glove box opening.  The bracket that holds the back of the radio steady is in the way.  As for the glove box, I have removed mine about 5 times, you shouldn't have an issue putting it in or taking it out. You don't have to fold it up, just sort of crush it in, bend the sides inward etc...
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

O.K so I spent a few hours pulling out the old and putting in the new.  I had to find which way to wire it as it originally came with an AM/FM with re verb ( I believe ).  Today I spent more time putting on the trim and putting the glove box back in.  I start the car to take a cruise, and the radio doesn't work anymore. :brickwall:  I have power to it and the speaker and antenna are connected?  Man O man.  I'm to frustrated to deal with this now.  Can you believe it?  ::)

1969chargerrtse

Ended up being the speaker went! :shruggy:  Guess the ole lad couldn't take being fired up again after all those dormant years?  O well, she's a working. ;D