News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Go with green bearings?.......>>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, October 28, 2005, 07:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

I've already had to replace my rear bearings this year and afterwards I was told by couple people that it's better to just replace the old style greaseable bearings with the sealed greens.

I'm in the dark as to which style to go with, and also which bearings (part numbers) I'll need (fronts for now).

Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Ghoste

Some people don't like them because of the side load thing.  I have the old style on mine but I don't have any qualms about being able to set the preload on them either.  If you do that correctly there isn't anything wrong with the old style.

471_Magnum

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If it is broke, go with the greens unless you're into autocross racing.

Greens are easier to install, sealed and cheaper. You'll never miss the extra load bearing capacity of the tapered bearing.

Fronts???
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Johnny SixPack

Do the fronts not have green bearings for them?

I'm showing my complete lack of technical knowledge here, but I'm in the dark on this.

I had the front bearings cleaned and packed about 2000 miles ago, but noticed that the grease was being slung out onto one of the wheels yesterday.

Then today I had a severe shake at 60, so I brought her straight home.

Noticed the car was pulling towards the DS in the front (where the grease was coming from) and you could smell hot brakes.

Last time I found grease on a wheel it was due to a ruined bearing leaking grease into the brakes and causing that wheel to lock (DS rear).

So I'm guessing the bearing is toast up front this time.

I know they make a green bearing for the rears, but didn't know if there was a similar product for the front bearings (there are two per side, correct?).
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I have the greens in the rear for about 7 years now with no problems.

As for the fronts, there are no sealed bearings offered.  Just the good ols grease packed tapered ones.

If you have grease leaking out of the rear than the rear seal is no good.  Its not a problem with the bearing
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Johnny SixPack

Talked to a buddy who had looked at the car when it was in his shop back in June and he remembered that the front calipers were gettin' pretty bad.

Said that it's likely the caliper isn't fully retracting and consequently that front bearing is heating up enough that the grease is just being flung out.

He also said that the grease cap might not be fitted on fully.

I guess I'll see once I get it all apart.
Johnny's Herd:

Charger4404spd

Quote from: formula_440 on October 29, 2005, 12:44:16 PM
Talked to a buddy who had looked at the car when it was in his shop back in June and he remembered that the front calipers were gettin' pretty bad.

Said that it's likely the caliper isn't fully retracting and consequently that front bearing is heating up enough that the grease is just being flung out.

He also said that the grease cap might not be fitted on fully.

I guess I'll see once I get it all apart.

Does sound like the caliper is sticking a little. WHen it all heats up, the cheaper grade wheel bearing grease will 'melt" and become very thin. Make sure to use the best grease. It is also a good idea to use a bearing packer to pack the bearing.