News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

whats the best primer to use?

Started by MikeMacCham, November 17, 2008, 06:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeMacCham

Hey guys,
I am sanding down my car and looking for a good primer to use on it. Any ideas of the best brand, where to get it and how much it will cost? I am planning on using a booth and sprayer, not the stuff in a can.

"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

hemi-hampton

All kinds of different Primer, Which one you looking for? Self Etching Wash Primer or Epoxy primer for Bare Metal, Primer, Primer Sealer, Primer Surfacer? Which one you want :shruggy: LEON.

SFRT

I like self etching acid  #8  and hi build #5 from U-POL
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

MikeMacCham

I had heard to go with self etching for the first coat, other than that I am honestly not to sure. I am not looking for a perfect job, just something to learn on with this car, that works well and looks good...but not a lot of cash.
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

hemi-hampton

If you go down to bare metal use the self etching primer & after that or after body work or bondo use Primer Surfacer. Have Fun :scratchchin: LEON.

1BAD68

I went down to bare metal and then sprayed acid etching primer. I plan on being able to put filler over it and then spray it with Z chrome rust defender before blocking.

MikeMacCham

Do you guys have any pics of the process? :baby:
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

69hemi

Quote from: MikeMacCham on November 20, 2008, 12:07:15 AM
Do you guys have any pics of the process? :baby:

A good way to go is take it down to bare metal, use an etching primer then an epoxy primer to seal it then do your filler work then start with a high build primer for your final surfacing.  It seems like a lot of applications but it will get you a finish that will last and smooth out great for your paint. 
Check it out at my website www.69hemi.com

Have fun!
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

hemi-hampton

I posted pics of my method before when subject came up, Maybe look in search? LEON.

Silver R/T

go with epoxy primer, then you can put on primer surfacer and dry/wet sand it to make body straight.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69hemi

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 21, 2008, 08:57:20 PM
I posted pics of my method before when subject came up, Maybe look in search? LEON.
Pretty harsh on a newer member Dude.

Remember when you started coming here?
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

hemi-hampton

What I say wrong, why was that harsh? I'd post pics but it wont let me repost pics twice? LEON.

P.S. Think you jumped to wrong conclusion, I meant NO insult, just trying to help :shruggy:

BlueSS454

I personally don't lke self etching primers.  They really aren't necessary for bare metal applications.  Once at bare metal, I lay down a nice coat of epoxy primer.  For that, I use the Dupont 2540S which you can get in different shades depending on what top coat you are putting on.  SPI (Southern Polyurethanes) make some nice epoxy primers also, then there is also R-M (Rinshed-Mason), and PPG.  The undercoats are something you don't want to skip on.
The epoxy primer is a non-porous primer which also acts as a sealer blocking any moisture from reaching the bare metal and causing rust to reform.  Etch and high build primers are porous.  Once you have a coat of epoxy down, you can do your bodywork right over top of it...I like to scuff it before applying any filler.  Once fill work is done, start with the high build primer for the final blocking series.  Once that's done, lay down another coat of the epoxy as a wet on wet sealer and finish it off with your top coat.
Tom Rightler

hemi-hampton

OK, I'll try to be more helpful with this post, I'll try to post some Pics. Here a pic in bare metal.

hemi-hampton

Heres a Pic of the Wash Primer ppg#dz1791

hemi-hampton

Heres a Pic of the PPG#DP74. Now most people are going to say forget the wash primer & just epoxy prime. I do things different then most. To get technical, the PPG info recommends 1.2-1.5 mils of DP. If you do not have 1.2-1.5 mils then PPG recommends that you do 2 things, That is either you self etch the metal with it's metal conditioner or you use a self etching Primer like #1791 like I do. Since one coats applies aproximitly .5-.75 mils this means you will need to apply 2 coats of Epoxy primer to acheive these mils. 1 coat wont work. I like the Wash Primer because I feel the Chemicals in it more suitable for bare metal, just my opinion. Even if metal blasted I like to sand with 80 grit anyways if I have the time, most people will skip this part also. Hope this helps :shruggy: :scratchchin: LEON.

hemi-hampton

Here's what it looks like now in Epoxy primer. Hoods been surfaced primed. LEON.

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

superduperbee

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 23, 2008, 12:22:42 AM
Here's what it looks like now in Epoxy primer. Hoods been surfaced primed. LEON.

If Skindog sees his car in your avatar, will he want royalties? :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

69hemi

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 22, 2008, 07:16:27 PM
What I say wrong, why was that harsh? I'd post pics but it wont let me repost pics twice? LEON.

P.S. Think you jumped to wrong conclusion, I meant NO insult, just trying to help :shruggy:

Sorry, no insult meant.  Your car looks like you are defiantly doing it right and will stay rust free for many years.

Good luck on your project!
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

hemi-hampton

Not my car, Customers car. 67 Coronet RT Convertible. Not a Rotisserrie type job but Budget Driver. LEON.