News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wrecked Daytona story; anybody know what happened to the car?

Started by 69bronzeT5, November 23, 2008, 06:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Saw this on a model car board I go on:

"We've all had this happen so I thought I'd throw this question out there and see what stories we can come up with.
We've all had a chance to buy a rare old Mopar. Whether it's been a Charger, 'Cuda, whatever, we all have fallen victim to "If I had only bought that car..."
So, my question is, what valuable Mopar did you pass on and lived to regret it ever since?

I'll start by sharing my lost Mopar story. It happened back in 1990 when I was living in Arkansas. I was sifting the want-ads on a Sunday morning when a simple add caught my eye. All the ad read was, "Dodge For Sale, MUST GO." The phone number was attached so I took a chance and called the number. An old guy answered the phone and I asked about the car and what he could tell me about it. He said he didn't know what kind of Dodge it was, only that it was probably the ugliest car he'd ever seen. He couldn't ealborate anymore on it only that it was his kid's car and he wrecked it bringing it home on a trailer. My curiosity peaked and I got directions to his house. Little did I know it was going to be about a 4 hour drive into the Ozark mountains. We set out on our trek to find this car and after a long trip, we found this old run down house in the mountains. We pulled into the driveway and were met with a pack of coon dogs barking like crazy. Your typical mountain man came strolling out, long white beard and all and walked up and shook my hand and ushered me into the back yard. There was a car covered with about 5 blue tarps and cement blocks and I pulled the covers back. The first thing I noticed was the rear quarterpanel. A wide black stripe wrapped around the 1/4's and it was against what used to be a bright yellow paint. When I pulled the tarps off the front, I saw what was left of the telltale wedge nose. There sat a 1969 Dodge Daytona that was in terrible shape. The son came out and I asked him what happened. He informed me that several years ago he was trailering the car home from the guy he bought it from when the chains broke and the car rolled off the trailer on the interstate. The car hit the guardrails and ended up rolling over 2 or 3 times. So here sat a car that had been sitting for the past 10 years or so, still complete, but severely damaged. The car still had the 440 engine and it had the pistol grip shifter as well. The glass was broken out and the roof was collapsed and the rear wing was destroyed. The front nose cone was also destroyed. But the car was complete and he had all the documentation to verify the originality of the car. He told me he'd take $350 for the car and I had to get it out of the yard in the next week.
To make a long story short, I couldn't swing the $400 tow bill to have the car brought out of the Ozarks and I ended up telling the guy I couldn't get the car. Looking back, I should have done whatever it took to get that Daytona, even if it meant pushing it back home. To this day I regret not getting that car and I only hope it was rescued and restored to it's former glory."
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

tan top

good find ..intresting story ... can't be too many Y2 4 speed daytonas ...around  :scratchchin:.............. :popcrn: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

nascarxx29

I recall this similar urban legend .But more 1969 daytonas were flipped over and destroyed

http://www.aeclassic.com/spooky/purgatory.html

was a near challenger to the almighty Chrysler. In the winter of '69 the Talladega was launched by Ford with much success. Chrysler was scrambling to keep there crown and that was when the Daytona Charger was born. On this particular car carrier there were four Daytona Charger's of which two were Hemi equipped, one featured a 440 Magnum while the other was a 383 four barrell car. The Charger's had been driven off of the line and outside to the holding area and parked.

The cars sat and waited to be shipped west to the growing city's premiere Dodge dealership. Scheduled delivery date for this quartet of cars had been delayed for quite awhile and when the dealership began to scream for their cars, something drastic had to be done. Don Williams, a veteran driver for Chrysler had just arrived back to the factory after a long trip through the Bible belt. Eyes like a road map, the shipping supervisor cornered Don and told him of his woes in trying to get the Charger's west. Don looked at the rising sun and did a quick calibration as to the last day he had actually had a descent nights rest. The miles and sunrises and sunsets blurred into a long stretch. He shrugged, looked at the Super and popped a couple of bitter white pills. "Can I steal a cup of coffee from ya?" Don grimaced at the taste in his mouth, "I gotta long road ahead of me." The super smiled and yelled at the men to load up the Charger's onto Don's truck. Things would work out he thought.

Don swaggered over to his Dodge truck and smiled. "No troubles, Boss..." He cranked over the rigs engine and headed off. His nerves were on fire and his steely grey eyes watched the road as it unwound in front of him. The miles rolled by and Don chased the grey ribbon to his appointed destination. Then, outside of Topeka, he ran out of his supply of his "jumpstarts". "That's alright, Mr. Williams...we've done this a lot of times without our whitey friends...." He muttered to the inside of the truck.

It was just around midafternoon when he rolled into the western state of his destination. He had a four hour trip left. The miles unfurled and he began to see double and had to hit himself in the face twice to snap awake. It was fifteen minutes from his destination that his mind finally crashed. His eyes literally snapped shut and he slumped over the wheel. The big Dodge veered off of the highway at 70 miles per hour. The soft shoulder gave way beneath the car carriers weight and over it went. The truck and trailer slid for about 100 yards before stopping. The factory's precious cargo, were either ripped from their mounts or were thrown against the heavy trailer's insides. All in all, Don walked away with a few injuries and a lawsuit against the Union for negligence, the cars were then totalled and towed to Wilbur's yard by the state as evidence. The case never saw any court time and the undelivered cars became a memory.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69bronzeT5

Quote from: nascarxx29 on November 23, 2008, 07:14:49 PM
I recall this similar urban legend .But more 1969 daytonas were flipped over and destroyed

http://www.aeclassic.com/spooky/purgatory.html

was a near challenger to the almighty Chrysler. In the winter of '69 the Talladega was launched by Ford with much success. Chrysler was scrambling to keep there crown and that was when the Daytona Charger was born. On this particular car carrier there were four Daytona Charger's of which two were Hemi equipped, one featured a 440 Magnum while the other was a 383 four barrell car. The Charger's had been driven off of the line and outside to the holding area and parked.

The cars sat and waited to be shipped west to the growing city's premiere Dodge dealership. Scheduled delivery date for this quartet of cars had been delayed for quite awhile and when the dealership began to scream for their cars, something drastic had to be done. Don Williams, a veteran driver for Chrysler had just arrived back to the factory after a long trip through the Bible belt. Eyes like a road map, the shipping supervisor cornered Don and told him of his woes in trying to get the Charger's west. Don looked at the rising sun and did a quick calibration as to the last day he had actually had a descent nights rest. The miles and sunrises and sunsets blurred into a long stretch. He shrugged, looked at the Super and popped a couple of bitter white pills. "Can I steal a cup of coffee from ya?" Don grimaced at the taste in his mouth, "I gotta long road ahead of me." The super smiled and yelled at the men to load up the Charger's onto Don's truck. Things would work out he thought.

Don swaggered over to his Dodge truck and smiled. "No troubles, Boss..." He cranked over the rigs engine and headed off. His nerves were on fire and his steely grey eyes watched the road as it unwound in front of him. The miles rolled by and Don chased the grey ribbon to his appointed destination. Then, outside of Topeka, he ran out of his supply of his "jumpstarts". "That's alright, Mr. Williams...we've done this a lot of times without our whitey friends...." He muttered to the inside of the truck.

It was just around midafternoon when he rolled into the western state of his destination. He had a four hour trip left. The miles unfurled and he began to see double and had to hit himself in the face twice to snap awake. It was fifteen minutes from his destination that his mind finally crashed. His eyes literally snapped shut and he slumped over the wheel. The big Dodge veered off of the highway at 70 miles per hour. The soft shoulder gave way beneath the car carriers weight and over it went. The truck and trailer slid for about 100 yards before stopping. The factory's precious cargo, were either ripped from their mounts or were thrown against the heavy trailer's insides. All in all, Don walked away with a few injuries and a lawsuit against the Union for negligence, the cars were then totalled and towed to Wilbur's yard by the state as evidence. The case never saw any court time and the undelivered cars became a memory.

The horn part was CREEPPPYY. :o. So whatever happened to those cars?

1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

nascarxx29

If this infact did happen and could be collaberated.Might explain the current shortages  :yesnod:

Magnumcharger

"On this particular car carrier there were four Daytona Charger's of which two were Hemi equipped, one featured a 440 Magnum while the other was a 383 four barrell car".

????
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

tatrick2me

Bone 7

nascarxx29

Nope there wasnt or was there a 440 Hemi.though people tell me they have or had one :rofl:

Ghoste

Quote from: nascarxx29 on November 23, 2008, 08:42:09 PM
Nope there wasnt or was there a 440 Hemi.though people tell me they have or had one :rofl:

Don't forget the 383 Hemi's or the Hemi Six Packs either (not the Aussie ones).  Ran into a lot of guys over the years who had a car exactly like mine but with a 383 Hemi or a Hemi Six Pack.  ::)

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69bronzeT5