News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The cost to make a 1969 Daytona clone

Started by ChargerSG, November 26, 2008, 03:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerSG

I wonder what the cost is to make a 69 Daytona clone, the work is no cost just time ;) Its the matrial cost i wonder about, and who makes the best ones? Olso the rearwindow what glass is there, messure?

I was planning in mayby covert my 69 SE to a Daytona clone :cheers:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Aero426

It is not cheap, or easy.   Cost depends on the mix you use of fiberglass, repro steel, or factory parts.   I'd budget no less than $10,000 for parts for the least expensive conversion.   You need a 70 Charger hood and fenders.  I'd go with a repro aluminum wing, steel nose internals and a fiberglass nose shell and valance panels. 

One possible source of parts would be to keep an eye open for someones abandoned project.   Generally speaking, more parts are out there than cars get finished.

The rear window plug can be made from a Vega fastback rear hatch. 

Mike DC

It partly depends on whether your conversion has to look perfectly legit to a wing-car nut who knows how the original stuff went together, or whether it just has to look legit when you hold up a Charger Daytona die-cast toy next to it.

And the 1970 fenders/hood/stuff are a decent part of the expense.  It's a different number if you're starting with that stuff already in hand. 

Blown70

Well I have been picking things up

I have Dane's wing by the time shipped I think $1650,  I had the fenders, but needed a hood, I am using a fiberglass.  $250

Wing Braces  (larry)  What were they $150 or so shipped?

I have not even touched getting into a nose yet.

Vega hatch $125..... good rust free are harder and harder to find.

That is $2175 so far.  Again, many things are still needed.

Tom

EDIT,  I have the trunk close out (Gene Gregory)  $275.  Plus I have the Charger drip rail $80.

billssuperbird

i have invested about 30 thousand in my superbird clone. :o i hope this helps you. i know it is not a daytona clone.

moparstuart

Quote from: billssuperbird on November 26, 2008, 04:31:42 PM
i have invested about 30 thousand in my superbird clone. :o i hope this you. i know it is not a daytona clone.
I wish i only had 30k in my superbird clone  :scared:  bill you have done a great job with yours and stay at a nice reasonable budget also !!
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ChargerSG

I was planning in using fiberglass and new made stuff if i do the clone. Seen fiber nose for $800 is that a good or bad price? I know Chargers but dont know allot about Daytonas soo bare with me :icon_smile_big:
Thanks for the info :cheers:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Aero426

Quote from: ChargerSG on November 26, 2008, 05:04:51 PM
I was planning in using fiberglass and new made stuff if i do the clone. Seen fiber nose for $800 is that a good or bad price? I know Chargers but dont know allot about Daytonas soo bare with me :icon_smile_big:

Who made the nose is the question?     Some fit better than others.

A383Wing

I got about $27K total in our Daytona clone....that even included buying the car and rebuilding the engine. No window plug here....ran outta money & time to get it done for the trip to the Aero Meet in 1999......

But I do have one of the real Nascar rear aluminum wings....has the cable, only 3 mounting studs per upright, and has 8 set screws in the adjustable wing.....Doug saw it in '99......

You would not believe what I paid if I told you....so I won't

BigBlockSam

QuoteBut I do have one of the real Nascar rear aluminum wings....has the cable, only 3 mounting studs per upright, and has 8 set screws in the adjustable wing.....Doug saw it in '99......
:slap:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

billssuperbird

moparstuart i see you have no trunk lid stops on your superbird clone. :drool5: :shruggy:

moparstuart

Quote from: billssuperbird on November 27, 2008, 09:20:05 AM
moparstuart i see you have no trunk lid stops on your superbird clone. :drool5: :shruggy:
I like to cram the trunk full of crap and travel , so no way will i restrict the opening LOL   I have only smashed my finger once and learned my lesson . The convertible truck is smaller already At least when the top is down . Dam spare is always in the way .

hotrod98

The wing braces are $90 inc shipping in the 48 states. I still have a few sets left from the last batch. I don't have any of the front braces left. I might make a few more sets if the demand is high enough to warrant the cost.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Blown70

Quote from: ChargerSG on November 26, 2008, 05:04:51 PM

I would suggest as in most cases the cheaper the part sometime so is the quality.  Now if you want to do some work with the nose then get the cheapest one you can.... My advice, dont buy the cheapest unless you want to do some work.  NOW, that only comes because of the people I have asked here about them.

Tom

62 Max

i have invested about 30 thousand in my superbird clone. :o i hope this helps you. i know it is not a daytona clone.

It would bring tears to your eyes if I told you what i paid for this in 1982 and the cost of the restoration.Those were the days!

hotrod98

I bought a fiberglass superbird nose from Mike G. at Dayclona and I think that it's by far the best f/g nose that I've seen. Much nicer than any of the Janak noses that I've had.  :Twocents:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Blown70

From one of the people I asked!!!   Thanks for Chiming in Larry.

NYCMille

The cost depends on how in depth you plan on getting, if you do the work yourself and if you upgrade as you go along. To do it right is not a cheap process....

2much2learn

Quote from: 62 Max on November 28, 2008, 11:29:12 AM

It would bring tears to your eyes if I told you what i paid for this in 1982 and the cost of the restoration.Those were the days!

....do go on  :popcrn:
I say " determined to restore the Charger" SHE hears " Stubborn to throw your money away"   dx_Xb

skip68

:popcrn:  Yes, tell us the price.  :yesnod:   :scratchchin:  Lets see  :scratchchin: 1982  :scratchchin:  $1,600  :shruggy:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Howie

Lets see,    I just picked up a set of steel headlight buckets for $325 and Z braces for $600. I sold all of my front end brackets to larry as I won`t need them. I am planning on making my own headlight pivot brackets. Headlight doors are janak as well as fender scoops.
   I sold larry my janak nose and he took my headlight doors and ordered a repacement set that set him back 380 which included shipping. Fender scoops will also set you back $350.
I do have a set of fiberglass headlight pivots, Buckets, and z braces from janak that I am not going to use as I have went out and bought steel.

moparstuart

Quote from: Howie on November 28, 2008, 02:34:12 PM
Lets see,    I just picked up a set of steel headlight buckets for $325 and Z braces for $600. I sold all of my front end brackets to larry as I won`t need them. I am planning on making my own headlight pivot brackets. Headlight doors are janak as well as fender scoops.
   I sold larry my janak nose and he took my headlight doors and ordered a repacement set that set him back 380 which included shipping. Fender scoops will also set you back $350.
I do have a set of fiberglass headlight pivots, Buckets, and z braces from janak that I am not going to use as I have went out and bought steel.
so howie even tho its a race clone you are going to have working headlights ?
and how does your steel nose look ? and what did it cost, and it's set up to make moving hlps ?

62 Max

Quote from: skip68 on November 28, 2008, 01:17:15 PM
:popcrn:  Yes, tell us the price.  :yesnod:   :scratchchin:  Lets see  :scratchchin: 1982  :scratchchin:  $1,600  :shruggy:

$4,200 for the car,less than $10,000 total to do it including the price of the car..

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

69_500

$4,200 for the car in 1982, I would venture to say it was a pretty decent driver car back then for that price. Just guessing that is, because my dad sold his 6 pac bird for $5,500 in 1984 and it was a very solid driver, actually pretty darn nice car.