News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Grill removal tips?

Started by 1BAD68, July 19, 2005, 09:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

I want to pull my grill this fall for restoration and after looking it over, it looks difficult. I remember my 70 was just 4 bolts attaching the brackets to the frame and some wire plugs and slide it out. Any tips?

69DodgeCharger

Make sure the clips the bolts thread into don't spin and break the mounting tabs. I used a cutoff wheel and ground the heads off  from the one I removed, although you will need to buy a new grille hardware kit if you go this route as it will melt the plastic bushings that the mounting bolts pass through.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

JimShine

If you mean remove it from the body: I removed the bumper and bracket assembly, then loosened up one fender. Remember to get inside and get those inner fender mounts. It took maybe an hour and a half, but it was my first time. Just go slow and don't force any plastic and it should go well.

69DodgeCharger

Ooops!....Jims right. Dont forget the two L shaped brackets that attach it to the fenders. It would probably be easiest to remove the whole frame with grill still in it and then remove the grille from that.....What am I saying, of course it would be easier.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Telvis

I removed the whole assemble then took it apart on the bench. It looks really complicated but it's not that bad. Definitely be careful when you start disassembling the parts. Those plastic mounting tabs really do break easily. I speak from experience.

8WHEELER

Yes be very carefull taking off the 1in long bolts out that hold the grille to the grille housing if not just cut them of as said before but I do it as well. Taking out the two nut off the studs that bolt inside the fenderwell can be a pain,
it is very easy to brake the stud or bend the heck out the bracket the stud is on, wire wheel the undercoating off then use some penatrent.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Zentelis

This is kind of an old topic, i know, but I wanted to give folks the heads up that I'm going to be removing my 68's grill for the first time. I've never done anything like this before and it's been hard finding any instructions and "don't-do's" on the net =)

In any event, like most of my projects, I'll be taking pictures/notes of every step and do a write-up afterwards. Hopefully some of the experienced folks can help me out with things I miss or do wrong  ;D

JimShine

Hey guys, I just took my '69 Grille out a couple of weeks ago and it really refreshed my memory.

I took the valance and entire bumper and bracket assembly off. This exposed the inner fender mounting plates. I removed the bolts there and moved up to the top mounting bolts. Once these were all removed and the hoses, headlight wire connector and ground wires were removed, it slid right out. Back when I couldn't get the bumper bracket off I had to loosen the fender.

After painting the car we had to be very gentle setting the grille in. We set it in sort of diagnolly so one side would seat then carefully placed the opposite side in place with a little firm pushing. I do believe that this would have been a good time to loosen the fender up as it was risky pushing that thing with fresh paint all around it.

cudaken

Part that threw me off the first time was the under coating under the fenders. Could not see the bolts the went into the fenders. Figuers, only places they undercaoted my Charger! ;D

Best thing to do if you can is geat a look at one out of the car so you have a idea of what you are looking for.

Cuda Ken

I am back

rebby

Here are quite a few pictures of my 69 grille out of the car. They might help you out a little...

http://charger.rebby.com/exterior.php?subpage=grille
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)