News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Rt Charger rear window removal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by gpnavar, August 22, 2005, 04:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpnavar

I'm in the process or removing the trunk in my Charger I have it out and now am ready to remove the rear window so that I can patch the sail panels where they are rusted.  I would like to know the easiest way to remove the chrome and the window? I also would like to know if this window has a rubber gasket on it or is it just glued in and if it is glued what is the best system to use I see several systems listed ? Thank you all in advance and I look forward to hearing from you all soon. Thanks Gary[/b]

JimShine

I can't help with the chrome, but I did just help remove a window on my friends car. It had the factory sealer and tons of added sealer probably to stop leaks over the years.

What we did was take a rag with acetone on it (not soaked, just moist) and rub the sealer (not the glass or the car) and this really softened it up. It was like a rock before and just a few passes with the rag softened it right up. We started peeling it off with a putty knife and cut the peeled up sections off with a knife. When we got through the outer layer, we would remoisten with acetone. Then we used a utility knife to cut through the sealer towards the inside. Then on the inside we rubbed a little acetone there too and cut the rest of the way out with the utility knife. From start to finish the whole deal took about 20 minutes. This will not be the way to go if you are worried about the paint on your car. Be sure to remove the trim inside before you use acetone in there.

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

#s Matching

For 2nd generation Chargers, was the rear window only sealed with caulking from the factory? (i.e. no rubber seal)
#s Matching - 74 Charger SE, 74 Charger Rallye, 69 Charger R/T

Drop Top

Its not caulking actually. Its a urethane that is made just for holding windows in place. Many differant car manufacturers did it this way. In answer to your question. Yes, thats the only thing holding the window in place.

palindromes

If your window channel is as rusty as mine was, the glass will just come right out (by hand) after getting the stainless trim off.  For your sake I hope it's not though!

70plumrt

quite a while back...we would remove the rear window with wire!
one guy inside and one outside, sawing back and forth through urethane adhesive
it worked surprising well

unfortunatly it's harder to find a second guy lately... ::)

cudaken

Do your self a favor, call safty glass and have them do it. Should be around $50.00 out and $50.00 in.

Cuda Ken

I am back

NHCharger

Quote from: 70plumrt on August 24, 2005, 07:54:33 PM
quite a while back...we would remove the rear window with wire!
one guy inside and one outside, sawing back and forth through urethane adhesive
it worked surprising well

unfortunatly it's harder to find a second guy lately... ::)
That's how I removed mine. That's what son's are for.
CudaKen. Don't the glass companies have a disclaimer about breaking the window while attempting to remove it??
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel