News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

05 Jeep Grand Cherokee starting issues

Started by 451-74Charger, December 04, 2008, 12:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

451-74Charger

05 4.7 GC ltd
Replaced starter in May 08 due to dead spot. - What a job that turned out to be. had to remove driveshaft to pull starter out bottom. Also had to remove the Skid plate (thats heavy).

Moving forward 7 months...
Starter Dead, car will not turn over.
Exactly same symptoms as last time, Solenoid clicks, but motor doesnt spin,
Fuses checked and look OK, Battery at 12.6v, drops to 12.4 when trying to start.
Attempted to disable remote start and checked agaim...same
Removed the starter (2 hour laying on the wet driveway) and will take to dealer for warranty replacement.
My question,
What the heck is causing these starters to go bad? I DO have the heatsheild fitted when I install them.?????????

bigred68

I had a 2000 Wrangler Sahara. It was nice but kinda useless. I missed haveing a truck to haul stuff.  It could play in the mud with the best of them but man the build quality was poor. I spent alot of time on the many jeep message boards figureing out most of its problems and quircks. People live and breath these jeeps. google jeep message board and I'll bet in a matter of minutes you'll have the answers to questions you didn't even know you had!  ;)
good luck!
j.j.

Mopar2Ya

Lots of WK info here: http://www.wkjeeps.com/kmenu.htm
Like bigred stated check w/Jeepsunlimited, streetjeep, moparts, etc forums. I've never hear of a starter issue w/the WK. I put over 100k on my 4.7L WJ w/no issues either.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Todd Wilson

Its been my experience that part store starters and alternators are generally crap.  I have purchased both alts. and starters and have had them last weeks,months or minutes out of the box.  I try and get them rebuilt at a good old fashioned rebuild shop. It is possible your new starter from the chain store has taken a crap on you.

Todd

451-74Charger

Pity it was an OEM Mopar starter from the local dealer.
I was told the starters are in really high demand, but of course, no idea why

451-74Charger

I posted on jeepforum.com but so far noone has even replied.
It seems the Charger crowd are more likely to help out than the Jeepers.

chgr500

Alot of OEM parts are also remanufactured these days...especially electrical motor devices....likely all rebuilt by the same source?? ....I have two OEM starters on my Ford truck within the year...10 minutes to replace on my 4+4  :coolgleamA: