News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any Daytona body experts wanna weigh in on this?

Started by Daytona R/T SE, May 30, 2009, 08:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

Does the body line on the front fender extend all the way to the nosecone/fender seal, or does it fade out a few inches from the front edge of the fender?

The great '70 Charger/Daytona fender body line debate:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,57746.0.html

Geno-What has Vance done on your car?  :shruggy:

Anybody have any "Day one" Daytona pics from 1969 that clearly show the fender/nosecone area  :shruggy:

Daytona R/T SE

I think I answered my own question, this is as about as day one as you can get:

Daytona R/T SE

The body line goes all the way to the front and does NOT fade away  :coolgleamA:

BigBlockSam

it goes to the front of the fender but not the nosecone  :icon_smile_big:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemigeno

Interesting question.  It's at least possible that the "pre-production" '70 Charger fenders used on the Daytonas had a slightly different body line than the "regular" production '70 Charger pieces.  The pictures from the car hauler are some of the better Day One photos out there (are they actually like Day Minus One or something?). 

Anyway I'll have to dig through a few survivor car photos, my own car's photos (both before and after bodywork), and check with Vance to see what his experience is.  Never really looked at this detail before, to be honest. :shruggy:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hemigeno on May 31, 2009, 12:01:11 PM
Interesting question.  It's at least possible that the "pre-production" '70 Charger fenders used on the Daytonas had a slightly different body line than the "regular" production '70 Charger pieces. 

That's what I'm thinking  :scratchchin:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hemigeno on May 31, 2009, 12:01:11 PM

Anyway I'll have to dig through a few survivor car photos, my own car's photos (both before and after bodywork), and check with Vance to see what his experience is.  Never really looked at this detail before, to be honest. :shruggy:

That would be cool, Geno.  I've been talking to my friend who is doing the paintjob on my car, and the subject of the body lines came up. I had told him I'd seen 70 Chargers both ways and I didn't know which way was "correct." He just told me to figure which way I wanted it, and he'd make it happen.

Unless I see some concrete vintage photographic evidence to the contrary, I'm going with the body line pictured on the Daytona on the transporter outside Creative Industries.

Any additional vintage pics will be appreciated.

I'm very curious to see if there is a difference between '70 Chargers and Daytona fender's body lines in that area :scope:

hemigeno

One of the straight-on original fender shots I took doesn't show much, but the second gives an inkling that the line fades out a couple inches shy of the seal.

I went through the shots already posted of the work Vance has done on my car, and it doesn't clearly show the bodyline.  One more thing to check out in a couple weeks when I go back.

There are a few photos of the Malcom's cars left to check out to see if I can find a good one that shows the line clearly.  *EDIT* dug through quite a few pictures/folders and couldn't find one of an urestored car that showed the bodyline very clearly at all...

Daytona R/T SE

Thanks for checking, Geno ! He's a long way from starting on the fenders, but I want to know in advance which way we're going with this body line thing...

As of right now, The Daytona on the transporter shot is winning  :coolgleamA:

Chris...

hemigeno

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 01, 2009, 05:23:11 PM

Not to sow the seeds of doubt or anything (OK, maybe a little  :P )...

Is the line you see on the carhauler actually a reflection of the Creative Industries building?  It was directly behind the photographer in that shot, and it has a flat roofline.

Just a thought...   :whistling: :stirthepot:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hemigeno on June 01, 2009, 05:48:44 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on June 01, 2009, 05:23:11 PM

Not to sow the seeds of doubt or anything (OK, maybe a little  :P )...

Is the line you see on the carhauler actually a reflection of the Creative Industries building?  It was directly behind the photographer in that shot, and it has a flat roofline.

Just a thought...   :whistling: :stirthepot:

The car on the hauler seems to be sitting at a slightly nose-up angle, so I don't think "The line" would line up with the roof of C.I...

Unless, of course Creative industry's roofing contractor was Stevie wonder ;)

BROCK

I realize - at least where the Daytona is concerned - that we are talking about 500
or so cars.  But can't help wonder:  Could it be that the early cars had the crisp line
while later cars didn't?  I do not believe the line remains crisp on the 70 Charger.  I
know it doesn't on mine.

I prefer the soft fade - especially on a Daytona :Twocents:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world