News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need some daytona measurements , Please

Started by BigBlockSam, July 28, 2005, 02:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

hey guys
  i had all these   measurements. in a folder that i saved all the threads from the old board. now there gone. so i need     Daytona wing placement. how far from the rear of quarter panel . size of trunk lid and were the trunk begins. you know, how far from the gas cap ring to the beginning of trunk opening. and any other ones you guys think i may   need to put this vega window plug in . thanks Rene

:brickwall:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Old Moparz

:popcrn:  First time I ever used the popcorn guy.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

hemigeno

I can get you the measurements sometime tomorrow if no one else posts them.   Let me know specifically what other dimensions you need and I'll measure 'em up for you.

BigBlockSam

thanks hemigeno
i think that should do it i'm starting with the back cause it looks the hardest. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

69_500

I would have measured the rear deck lid for you, but the car is at my parents house for the week. I wouldn't have been any use on the measurements of the wing however.

Daytona R/T SE

Contact David Patik at Performance Car Graphics:    CarGraphix@aol.com   He makes a set of Daytona location templates. I got the set from him, it includes the wing location template, template for cutting the front fenders for the valance, and the template for cutting the holes in the fenders for the scoops!  The best part? It's FREE :boogie: to Winged Warriors/National B-body Owners members-you ARE a member AREN"T YOU?   I did have to pay $12 for the UPS though, WELL worth it!!!!  Made my wing install a BREESE  :yesnod:

BigBlockSam

why YES I AM a member of the winged warriors.  i called him about a month ago and they said that he would be back july 18. i forgot about him. thanks. i will call him tomarrow. i still need the other measurements . Rene

Daytona R/T SE

The trunk lid should be in the neighborhood of 21 1/2 inches long, from front to back, but from what I understand this is not the best size for every car, the trunk lids were all made the same, but the cars differed. Once installed, some trunk lids were WAY off ! My trunklid is the next thing I'm going to do on mine, I'll have the quarter end caps bolted in place and the rear window plug installed, THEN I'll measure for the length of the trunklid.

BigBlockSam

i'm just tring to get a general idea of the specs. thanks

69_500

To make the trunk lid look absolutely correct, it needs to have a radius to it. It shouldn't be cut straight accross like a regular trunk lid. If you look closely at a real 500 or a Daytona you'll see what i'm talking about.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 69_500 on July 30, 2005, 12:11:15 AM
To make the trunk lid look absolutely correct, it needs to have a radius to it. It shouldn't be cut straight accross like a regular trunk lid. If you look closely at a real 500 or a Daytona you'll see what i'm talking about.

:iagree:

Daytona Guy

Hey, Daytona R/T SE, do you have any pics of your progress? What are you using for the plug? It will be nice to follow someone else's progress.

Daytona R/T SE

I'm using Janak's parts. I'm going to add some bracing to the fiberglass plug, hopefully I'll be able to prevent the cracking some people have experienced, I know some others have had good results useing the glass plugs. I'll post some pictures when it actually starts to look like something.

BigBlockSam

Quoteit needs to have a radius 

yes, i agree also. i have lots of pics of realones that i've taken at shows. i will have to build it up in spots to get it correct. i have i picture of one done incorrectly also. what not to do. i'm really excited about this. should be alot of fun. Rene   :boogie:

69_500

I've never checked out a cloned car using a Vega hatch, but does it come down flat? Or does it have a radius to it?

hotrod98

The Dayclona guys quoted me $500 to convert my deck lid plus the cost of the reinforcement piece. After studying a Charger 500 deck lid at a show a few weeks ago, I think that I just might let them. That bend at the back is going to be very difficult to do correctly. It's a 90 degree bend, but at the same time it's in an arc across the back edge...kind of hard to explain. It doesn't break completely over like you would expect. I guess since it's a clone, you could do whatever you want since 99% of the people out there would never know the difference.
As for the vega plug I'm going to wait until I've got the deck lid finished so that I can complete the rear trough and then cut and blend the plug in to match. It's the only logical way to do it to make everything align up.

Here's a pic of an unfinished piece that I found somewhere on the net.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hotrod98

BTW, bigblocksam
Here's a pic of my donor car. Real R/T SE triple black auto. The only part that I don't like is that it has an a/c firewall. I'll probably just fill in the hole where the condensor lines come through the firewall and use the a/c style housing. There may be a way to hook up the a/c on a hemi car but don't think so because lines come out right behind the right head. Thank God my chal convert isn't an a/c car.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

nice car! it definitely makes it easier when you start with a good body. i like that blue roadrunner. that blue is great. i have a 69 satellite, with a 440 4 speed, thats a fun car to drive. i look forward to seeing your hemi daytona, very cool. :METAL:   today i made a cardboard template of the rear window area and the sail area. now I'm getting a clear picture of what material i have to remove from the back of the vega hatch. i want to contour the sides a bit so it fits like a glove and i get the correct radius.   without using alot of bondo. all metal . I'm having a blast . it's like building a big model car.
  hey hotrod98 send me another email so i can save your address.

BigBlockSam

i have that picture to. thats Dane's car. your never gonna get it exact to an original. it's just gotta look good.. i think i should install the plug first. then cut  out the top edge of the trunk opening. move it down to where you want it. i 'm gonna have to reinforce where i cut it out of, for strength . then channel the trunk to fit. seems easier that way but plans may change when i do it. thats plan A . i 'hope  i will not  have to go to a plan B . alot of people get the correct radius with bondo. yes, i will have to use some but i want to keep it down to a minimum.

hey is that your  garage in the picture?  Rene

thallium

Rene, for me that is why I'm making a 70 daytona clone. I really do not have the skill level to do the rear plug and I know my limitations. I would love to have the rear plug and make a 69 daytona, but it's a lot easier for me to just do a 70 clone.  Keep us up to date on your progess.

BigBlockSam

hey thallium
  good to see ya here. don't worry i'm gonna take alot of pics and when its done i should be able to tell you step by step what i've learned. i'm trying to find an aluminum foundry to cast some wings from mine for the future. did you get that six banger in your daytona yet?  :cheers:     Peace-- Rene

hotrod98

bigblocksam,
That's my shop at the house. It's a 40 x 50 and has a lift. Makes it easier to remove the engine and tranny from the bottom like mother mopar intended. Unfortunately, I outgrew the shop immediately. I have a two car garage attached to the house and another two car garage behind the big shop and they're full. My basement is full of e and b body parts.  We're planning to build a 4 car garage at the other end of the house that is 12 feet tall so that I can put 4 double stack lifts in. I'll keep 4 of the cars that we don't drive as much on top and another 4 on bottom. I need the shop space for other projects. My challenger convertible is in there waiting on the hemi install. I'm currently restoring a 67 GTX matching numbers hemi 4 speed at the dealership where I work. It will have to come home to be reassembled soon. The money for my projects comes from the resto work. Fortunately, I have 4 acres so we can grow as time and money allows. I'll send you an e-mail.
BTW, I have the superbee twin to the runner.

Charles Addams

thallium

Bigblocksam,  I ended up getting myself a little car to make the commute and I will be sticking with the original plan of a 440.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 30, 2005, 11:58:52 PM
bigblocksam,
That's my shop at the house. It's a 40 x 50 and has a lift. Makes it easier to remove the engine and tranny from the bottom like mother mopar intended. Unfortunately, I outgrew the shop immediately. I have a two car garage attached to the house and another two car garage behind the big shop and they're full. My basement is full of e and b body parts.   We're planning to build a 4 car garage at the other end of the house that is 12 feet tall so that I can put 4 double stack lifts in. I'll keep 4 of the cars that we don't drive as much on top and another 4 on bottom. I need the shop space for other projects. My challenger convertible is in there waiting on the hemi install. I'm currently restoring a 67 GTX matching numbers hemi 4 speed at the dealership where I work. It will have to come home to be reassembled soon. The money for my projects comes from the resto work. Fortunately, I have 4 acres so we can grow as time and money allows. I'll send you an e-mail.
BTW, I have the superbee twin to the runner.

I'm impressed  :drool5: :2thumbs: :punkrocka:

BigBlockSam

holy molly! your a lucky man. i can't believe you have that bee. when i was 15 , my next door neighbor had that same color and yr bee. he was 19yrs old and had a job that took him away for weeks at a time. so he left the keys with me to start it up  and warm it up every couple of days. I'm was  15 with keys to a killer superbee. i use to take it to school and back. i never abused it or filled it full of my friends. i did use  it alot though. i was 15 it was great. so that is on my list to buy sometime in my life. it has to be b5 blue with a white stripe.
  i live in the inner city. i have one garage and it is full of motorcycles. i do all my work outside, it's a bitch. i store my cars in may yard covered and i have two outdoor car capsules for the winters . they work well.
me and my wife are looking for land to build our dream house, her dream kitchen and my dream garage. 50/50.  i got my eye on a piece of land in jackson NJ. 5 acres. then the fun really begins.   :boogie:

thallium , thats the way to go your a gear head that needs "more power sotty" i small car with good gas mil. and good tunes to keep you awake.

seeeeee yaaaaa Rene