News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Colour Change C500???

Started by 500Jon, December 07, 2008, 06:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

500Jon

Hi Clan500,

I would like to know what peoples opinions are on colour changing rare mopars, or any Mopar as maybe??? :rotz: :yesnod:

I have owned a 68 R/T Charger, a 69 R/T Charger and now a 69 500 and guess what? they have all been F8 green!!!

Now, don't get me wrong, I like F8 green, but I like B5 blue just a little more!!!

That probably shows that back in the day F8 was either very popular, or Chrysler had a special deal with the paint suppliers???

The two B5 500's that have been on the DC site, obviously show that BLUE is a desirable shade to have.

That is not to say I would do a colour change for this reason, I just love B5, and a B5 500 is top of my list!!!

Shall I restore the car in original F8 and then try and trade on a B5 when the car is finished, do you think???

Best wishes from England Jon.
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

tan top

hi Jon ...
if it were mine i would paint it what ever  paint code is on the fender tag  :yesnod: ....  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

Quote from: 500Jon on December 07, 2008, 06:50:36 AM
Hi Clan500,

I would like to know what peoples opinions are on colour changing rare mopars, or any Mopar as maybe??? :rotz: :yesnod:

I have owned a 68 R/T Charger, a 69 R/T Charger and now a 69 500 and guess what? they have all been F8 green!!!

Now, don't get me wrong, I like F8 green, but I like B5 blue just a little more!!!

That probably shows that back in the day F8 was either very popular, or Chrysler had a special deal with the paint suppliers???

The two B5 500's that have been on the DC site, obviously show that BLUE is a desirable shade to have.

That is not to say I would do a colour change for this reason, I just love B5, and a B5 500 is top of my list!!!

Shall I restore the car in original F8 and then try and trade on a B5 when the car is finished, do you think???

Best wishes from England Jon.
its your car paint it how you want it.   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

WINGMAN

I agree with Stuart  but stay with a 1969 Charger colour.  :Twocents:  Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

69_500

My personal opinion on this is to paint the car whatever color you want. Even though the tag says F8, it is up to you as to what color to paint it. Now if it was my car I'd paint it F8, even though B5 blue is a much nicer color in my opinion, and my wife wants a B5 500 badly. The odds of finding someone willing to trade a B5 500 for an F8 500 are pretty slim if you ask me. Considering that I know of a person who has had a F8 500 that has been wanting to trade it for a B5 500 for about 20 years now. Seems B5 is high on a lot of people's list for color now, personally my favorite is still Q5 though. Love R4 red as well. X9 would be next on the list then B5.

moparchris

HI Jon,
You didn't say what color your 500's interior is.  I am assuming it's black which makes a color change quite a bit easier.  I guess you have to assess the odds of you selling the car, or another way to put it is, how long do you envision owning it?  If it is a "keeper" doing a quality color change probably isn't that big of a deal as long as it is kept an available for 1969 color.  If you are thinking you will only own the car for a couple of years and then sell it, I'd suggest keeping it per the fender tag. :Twocents:

Ghoste

I think the answer is pretty obvious; the purists will hate a change from stock, the car guys will say it's your car so do as you wish, the custom crowd will insist that it must be different.  The only opinion here is your own and it depends on what your intentions are.  Is this an investment, do you plan to drive the wheels off of it, do you really (seriously) care what anyone else thinks?

69_500

I wonder how many different C500 owners can chime in on one thread? So far it is 3 who own R4 red 500's, and 2 who have F8 green cars.

69 OUR/TEA

I actually like F8 better than B5,and owning a B5 car myself,did'nt do a color change,and kept with the orig color.

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: 69_500 on December 07, 2008, 03:41:51 PM
I wonder how many different C500 owners can chime in on one thread? So far it is 3 who own R4 red 500's, and 2 who have F8 green cars.

...and now 1 with a B5 Blue C500

I would probably keep the original color, although I am not a "purist" when it comes to changes.  It is just the color change is a change to something so basic to a car, and is a lot of work to undo later.  Also, a color change on a rare car will likely adversely affect it's future value... even if the new color is thought to be more desireable.

Still, it is your car... and a decision to change the color is yours to make!  It is unlikely that you will find someone willing to trade a comparable B5 C500 for the F8 C500.

I have been surprised by how many people have tried to relieve me of my B5 4Spd car... B5 definitely seems to be an "in" color now, even among the new Mopars like the "Classic Edition" 2009 Challenger planned.

Good luck on whatever you decide,

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

69bronzeT5

I saw this C500 at a show last summer. You can't go wrong with B5 Blue.....

But then again, F8 Green is an awesome colour too.

I guess I'm not any help. ;D
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

arrow

Quote from: 69_500 on December 07, 2008, 03:41:51 PM

I dont plan on repainting my 500 R4 when I finish it , Q5  -W1 are on my list for colors

Ghoste

C500

I have an F8 green 500 with green interior. I have thought about colours colors lately too. I'm ok with the F8, it has grown on me since I first saw it. It is the original color of my 500, I could change it, but I would only change to another 69 color.

I like things to appear factory, but don't mind subtle safety changes like disc brakes etc and colour changing doesn't concern me too much. I'm going to keep my car F8 because the interior is green. I don't think a green interior would look very good with other 69 colors and I'm not prepared to change the green guts. The guts are in very good shape, so F8 it will stay.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

hemi68charger

First, don't think of it as a "desireable" thing to have......... First to the first is YOUR desire...... If you wanna change the color, change it.... But, realisticly, you should do it such that it looks complete.. You have some nice iron there...........

Best wishes and luck on your decision..........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

500Jon

Thanks for the replies Clan500!!!

F8 it is then.

As much as is possible without a Crystal Ball, this ones a keeper!!!

The guy I purchased the car from would put a contract out on me if I sold it, and if its at all possible here in the UK, I will be buried in this car and have a full size italian marble C500 plinth put over the grave to deter Egyptian Tomb robbers??? :2thumbs:

Have you heard the adage that green cars are unlucky???

I gave my green 69 R/T SE, to a so called friend, "who had a paintshop" for a repaint. As I was moving home at the time I decided to sell the car on completion, which he was told about. He said he would sell it for me as he had a buyer. He painted and sold my car, then ran off with the money!!! :'( :'( :'(

With friends like that, who needs enemies :slap:

Cheers from England, Jon.

69_500

Like was said earlier its your car, and ultimately its your choice. Personally I want a different color 500 as well, but I'm still holding out hope of finding one in the color combo I want, and in a 4 speed and in the price range I can afford. I have about the same odds of that as I do of hitting the powerball, considering I don't even buy lotto tickets.

nascarxx29

I dont know about green being unlucky.I do know of another green car in the UK .Its a triple green 70 RT .http://www.cardomain.com/ride/267096 . And I owned the other one in this combo sold it in TX .  
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

ACUDANUT

GREEN=== :puke:

Numbers matching really applies to the engine/transmission IMO.  The body can always be repainted, no harm done there...Your car = your way. :Twocents:

PocketThunder

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 08, 2008, 07:43:49 PM

Numbers matching really applies to the engine/transmission IMO.  The body can always be repainted, no harm done there...Your car = your way. :Twocents:

Now you're talking!   :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemi68charger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 08, 2008, 07:43:49 PM

Man, it isn't easy being green..........   :'(

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

Quote from: 500Jon on December 08, 2008, 03:09:45 PM

In American racing circles, green cars (and peanuts) were considered by some to be extremely unlucky.    David Pearson would avoid anything having to do with a green car.   

moparstuart

Quote from: DougSchellinger on December 09, 2008, 09:33:57 AM
Quote from: 500Jon on December 08, 2008, 03:09:45 PM

In American racing circles, green cars (and peanuts) were considered by some to be extremely unlucky.    David Pearson would avoid anything having to do with a green car.   
damn that explains alot  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :brickwall:

WINGR

Funny Troy, :smilielol:

Remember the line I told you, It's easy being green when your an F8 Charger 500.

My :Twocents:                  What is wrong with F8 anyway?                    See Attached Picture
I'll admit I really like B5 Blue, especially since the first Charger 500 I ever remember seeing was that color. I almost bought that car and have since came close on a few others but they were either not the right car or the situation didn't work out right. At the same time I really like F8 and don't think it falls too far behind, especially as rare as these cars are. Not many of us were lucky enough to order ours new anyway so we need to enjoy them as they are, As far as the color of your car Jon, like many have said it's your car and you need to do what makes you happy. In my opionion there is nothing wrong with F8 and I believe it is better to keep them the original color. You know there are some people that may not like it, but alot of us will, and if your happy with it that is what matters most. I also think that when someone is doing a resto mod then the color change is not that bad. At the same time, as rare as these cars are I don't know if I would recommend that either. Again, this is just my two cents.

Good Luck

moparstuart

Quote from: WINGR on December 09, 2008, 09:49:39 AM

Remember the line I told you, It's easy being green when your an F8 Charger 500.

My :Twocents:                  What is wrong with F8 anyway?                    See Attached Picture
I'll admit I really like B5 Blue, especially since the first Charger 500 I ever remember seeing was that color. I almost bought that car and have since came close on a few others but they were either not the right car or the situation didn't work out right. At the same time I really like F8 and don't think it falls too far behind, especially as rare as these cars are. Not many of us were lucky enough to order ours new anyway so we need to enjoy them as they are, As far as the color of your car Jon, like many have said it's your car and you need to do what makes you happy. In my opionion there is nothing wrong with F8 and I believe it is better to keep them the original color. You know there are some people that may not like it, but alot of us will, and if your happy with it that is what matters most. I also think that when someone is doing a resto mod then the color change is not that bad. At the same time, as rare as these cars are I don't know if I would recommend that either. Again, this is just my two cents.

Good Luck
wow great picture with the mirrored image

500Jon

Hi Clan500,

That's a picture and a half you got there WINGR!!!

Why did I ever think of B5, I must be losing the plot over here in Blighty???

If my car looks anywhere near as good as that I will be the happiest guy around!!!

Thanks Guys for all your input!!!

Cheers jon.

PocketThunder

Bug shield C500

Come on guys... What's wrong with Green MoPars... I have just accepted the fact that that is all that will follow me home :icon_smile_big:. My 73 charger SE is GREEN ON GREEN. My 70 Cuda V-code car is Ivy GREEN. I just picked up a 70 Challenger R/T that is ..............Can you guess???? F3 GREEN ON GREEN... and my Charger 500 (factory BUG shield car) is F5 GREEN on GREEN..... DID MoPar really make any other colors then GREEN???   :shruggy:
1969 charger 500 bugshield addition
1970 cuda 446-6 hole in the hood
1973 charger se 400
1973 sportman van 12 passanger (wife hates this one)

PocketThunder

Quote from: Bug shield C500 on December 13, 2008, 12:18:59 AM
Come on guys... What's wrong with Green MoPars... I have just accepted the fact that that is all that will follow me home :icon_smile_big:. My 73 charger SE is GREEN ON GREEN. My 70 Cuda V-code car is Ivy GREEN. I just picked up a 70 Challenger R/T that is ..............Can you guess???? F3 GREEN ON GREEN... and my Charger 500 (factory BUG shield car) is F5 GREEN on GREEN..... DID MoPar really make any other colors then GREEN???   :shruggy:

Ya they made Bronze........  :smilielol:   :puke:

69_500

And didn't you part with a GREEN Daytona as well?

ACUDANUT

WingCharger

:iagree:

I LOVE F8 GREEN!! Especially on 500's. Oh, Bug shield C500, I think if I clone a 500, I will put a bug shield on it! I think it looks cool.

PocketThunder

Quote from: WingCharger on December 13, 2008, 02:21:23 PM

I LOVE F8 GREEN!! Especially on 500's. Oh, Bug shield C500, I think if I clone a 500, I will put a bug shield on it! I think it looks cool.

Say you just gave me an idea for Talledega....

Bug shield C500

Quote from: 69_500 on December 13, 2008, 01:28:30 PM

And didn't you part with a GREEN Daytona as well?

Yes, But I don't talk about that one much :'(. Still regreating the day... :icon_smile_blackeye:
1973 charger se 400

Bug shield C500

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 13, 2008, 09:47:01 PM
Quote from: WingCharger on December 13, 2008, 02:21:23 PM

Say you just gave me an idea for Talledega....

Don't worry, If I make it to Talledega next year, it will be Bug Shield and all....  :cheers: I have the Bug Shield off to JC Whitney right now being restored... :icon_smile_big:
1973 charger se 400

69_500

Hopefully you do make it to Talladega. Would like to get a pic of your 500 next to mine, as they were both bought of of the no man's lands of Montana.

500Jon

:cheers: Clan500!!!

Good comments on the Color changing :icon_smile_big:

Still can't workout why there were so many green cars back in the day :yesnod:

If they were so unlucky, how did so many survive? :scratchchin:

That's my 10th post :2thumbs: A guy in the UK did over 10,000 posts on the MMA site :-\

I gots a long way to go methinks :smilielol:

Cheers Jon.

69_500

Anyone with a theory on why so many green cars built back in the 60's and 70's? Was it due to an attraction to olive green after years of military service, or what? I wasn't around then so I don't know what the big draw to green cars was. Seems that not many were drawn to blue though, or silver, unlike today were silver is the most common color on a new car.

als500

Quote from: WINGR on December 09, 2008, 09:49:39 AM

Good Luck

Steve that a sweet car!!!

nakita7

Green is my favourite colour, I love green Mopars, my 69 Charger R/T will be green and I absolutely hate B5 blue on any Mopar, so you can kind of see where my suggestion is going... :icon_smile_big:

WINGR

Thanks Al, you of all people ought to know. Of course you deserve a major recognition for doing such a great job with her and preserving the originality of such a rare car.  :2thumbs:

Like many other car fanatics, I can't wait to really get the chance to drive her next spring.   :drive:     I've already confirmed a spot as a feature car at the Show Car Nationals at Michigan Speedway next July and of course there is that T-Dega show next fall, anyone ever heard of that???

Take care and hope you have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

WINGR/Steve

nascarxx29

Congrats Wingr :2thumbs:.You have a pair of aero cars
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

500Jon

Hi Aero's and All,

Wife says C500 gotta go black!
Its her car so thats-that!!! :shruggy:
That sorta fits into my plans anyways.
There was alot of black and red on the old girl before.
Once the Bodywork is finished I was gonna black her as a guide coat.
Gen TWO Chargers are hard to get straight, there's alot of curves LOL!
Maybe just maybe, then there is the DG link with some red patches too???

I will contact Crower Cams for some advice on a DG 500 copy?
Don't want to upset anyone here or over there.

Thanx again guys and gals, any sound advice always taken!!! :yesnod:
This C500 a rare beasty by anyones standards.
500 Jon

ACUDANUT

if you own a pea green Charger paint it fast, before it turns on you.  :2thumbs:
Sub-lime cars are safe.

winged69

Well when you have low production numbers and low survival rates it is not like ordering a new car in your color or options. When you find a car , you pretty well throw out being picky on the color. I feel original colors are the only way to go. It will be your choice, but if you ever sell I think the new buyer will grind you on the price. I know a fellow with a beautiful panther pink T/A Challenger. Trouble is it is a rare B7 blue with a factory gator grain vinyl roof. It has been so completely color changed that it would have to be stripped down to parts to change it back, and it no longer has a gator grain top. I told him to get the gator grain top material and the chrome trim if and while available. Even if he never puts it on , he has it. On a point I bought back my original 69 Daytona Charger, it is R4 red, white wing and interior. The owner I got it back from said that people turned it down due to the color.

So it is your choice, but in the end my friend says everything is for sale , at sometime. The sale price will be harped on for a color change.

DAY CLONA

paint it whatever colour you desire, it's your car, let the next owner worry about it :Twocents:

Ghoste

If the wife says black then black it should be.

ACUDANUT

A color change is easy to modify or make it correct.  A #'s matching drive train is a whole new game.

XS29LA47V21

:popcrn:   mmm 500sss

FWIW, I will start with the now ... relationship management 101 facilitate making wife happy and you own it ....  All days that follow.... someday it will be sold, most buyers of these and Daytona etc, not the dreamers do not favor color change cars, near wickapedia fact, imo.  For most, it is significant work, not just a motor or wheel swap.  I personally would buy a color change or consider it .... at 20% less market so I can put it back correct color.  Green is down my stack too, and sold a a color 500 to get a better 500 color (true story), but it is not bad really .... ah you have a 500 after all, they are all great.  I like F3 best of the greens for its rarity for example.  If it was mine I would stay original, regardless it is your, finish and drive is my $0.10. :2thumbs:

500Jon

Great replies Folks!

Story so far is, wifey paid for car, my job is to 'fix her up'.
Outta work at the moment so getting on with resto.
Bought loads of necessary parts and now broke.
Forgot that resto-work in a Foriegn country has extra costs!
Mainly SHIPPING AND TAXES!!! :'(
Then there's the problem of finding a good Bodywork-man.
Body and paint is around $10,000(£6000).
In the scheme of things not a big hit but its still alot of casheroo!
So I will do subframe work on my own Rotisserie.
Then all engine compartment and interior detailing myself too.

The biggest problem is what to change for repro and/or Nos.
I will leave this particular issue till the car is rolling again.

So back to the paint, what to do?
The Goverment doesn't allow us to use Air-dry Solvent paints in the UK.
Some solvent paints are available for private use, mainly non-metallics.
To use 'new-paint' water-based metallics you need an expensive paint booth $30,000.
So in a nutshell, home done paint jobs are a thing of the past.
I can use a non metallic black and red, no probs.

Between a rock and a hard place now!

Looks like I will have to sell my 71 Gtx just to pay for a paint Jobbie!!! :pity:
Doesn't seem like a good trade to me.
So............................
Back to black and red or F8 green??????? :brickwall:
Isn't life difficult LoL!!! :smilielol:

500Jon

fc7_plumcrazy

I would vote for F8 green

Carsten

Ghoste