News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEAVY METAL BAND SUPERBIRD BLACK ICE SUPERBIRD VINTAGE PIC 1987

Started by moparstuart, December 08, 2008, 11:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

I thought people would get a kick out of this pic of me next to my bird in 1987. 

I used the superbird for advertisement for my heavy metal band  BLACK ICE    it was very cool pulling up in front of the roxy or the whiskey and the band jumping out in from the baddest car ever in metal.    I have many other pics I will post later of the entire band and car .     instead of the plymouth quarter decals  i painted the bands name on the quarters.   Jim radke had a fit when he saw it .  but he got over it.

posted  for superbirdtom
thanks to rene for resizing it for me
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Hemidog

Metal AND Aero car? you were living the dream!
Still got some of your songs?

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

moparstuart

nascarxx29

They sure do look like Corvete wheels .Though Chevy bolt pattern is 4/3/4 and Mopar is 4 1/2.If there are Corvette how they get them on .Wheel adapters???

http://www.islandserve.com/~dc99/umcp7.htm

moparstuart

http://www.sleazegrinder.com/SuicideNotesBlackIce.htm       HERE IS TOM'S BAND I found this review on line

the guy in front is tom 

I email tom to confirm this was his album and review here was his response

yes it is!  thats me in the front. pretty accurate review as we were a typical band of that era . it was a very well recorded ep . recorded at sound city a platinum studio . our producer ray leonard has worked with some of the biggest bands in history. we used the car for advertisement it worked pretty well.        the enki rims actually looked better in person. I have a whole series of pics with the band around the car shrouded in fog and dry ice. I will try to dig those up .

but yeah it was a crazy time ,the wing cars people never forget like in the spice girls video ,joe dirt etc. never did a video though  damn!!!

I was in another band called the PLADS, we did an album. and anothr band called DAY ONE that had an album out as well. never hit the big time but came close.   Thanks  Tom

Enki rims that answers that question     very similar to corvette   

moparstuart

Quote from: nascarxx29 on December 08, 2008, 12:23:08 PM
They sure do look like Corvete wheels .Though Chevy bolt pattern is 4/3/4 and Mopar is 4 1/2.If there are Corvette how they get them on .Wheel adapters???

that movie car is not tom's .  It's a fibered clone from canada.

The canadians called  their clone  that but there is only one black ice superbird and i took it to many car shows in los angeles. i will find pics later . julieus steurer and radke were judges that gave it first place in the first woodley park show back in 87.

nascarxx29

Ok that clears up that .So we established a Superbird band car .And WINGR had remembered a daytona from the Terry Jeffries band.Wonder if theres anymore outhere

Same guy with car for sale and makes hoods  Superbirdtom?

Re: How to make a superbird hood
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 11:54:23 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tom also still has his real superbird for sale

thanks  tom         440 4bbl now with sixpack  4-speed-  console- bucket seats -tictok tac- built engine ported heads balanced adjustable rockers. new clutch -poly front end bushings $ 86,000 firm 907-617-1527

nascarxx29

moparstuart

69bronzeT5

Quote from: moparstuart on December 08, 2008, 01:48:33 PM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on December 08, 2008, 12:23:08 PM

that movie car is not tom's .  It's a fibered clone from canada.

The canadians called  their clone  that but there is only one black ice superbird and i took it to many car shows in los angeles. i will find pics later . julieus steurer and radke were judges that gave it first place in the first woodley park show back in 87.

That clone car. The company that built it is right here in my city. :yesnod:

Charger-Bodie

Kelsey Hayes made alot of wheels like that in the 80's ....they do look alot like vette wheels , but My guess is Kelsey Hayes. :yesnod:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparstuart

heres a site where you can actually listen to the songs.   heavy metal warriors is the best cut in my opinion ( PER TOM )

http://vibrationsofdoom.com/test/test2/BlackIce.html

superbirdtom

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 08, 2008, 09:57:26 PM
Kelsey Hayes made alot of wheels like that in the 80's ....they do look alot like vette wheels , but My guess is Kelsey Hayes. :yesnod:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THE WHEELS WERE ENKEI RIMS AND T/A RADIALS . ENKEI ALSO MADE THE VETTE WHEELS FOR 86 ANDD 87 AND WERE SIMILAR, BUT THE ONES ON THE BIRD WERE ONLY OFFERED FOR ONE YEAR. i HAVE A SET OF ANSEN SPRINTS I WAS THINKING OF TAKING OFF MY SUPERB AND PUTTING ON THE BIRD. THEY ARE 10 INCHES WIDE, LOOK REAL SHARP. i BELIEVE BACK THEN THEY WERE REALLY MADE OF MAGNESIUM. HAD THEM SINCE 1973.

moparstuart

:popcrn:   (per tom )    heres a pic of a poster I had made in 87.  this is overlooking the san fernando valley.  from muholland drive. I have a whole bunch taken up there by a real pro photographer. and they are eye popping , but i am leaving town for a couple weeks and i will dig them out when i get back . They are on slides.  lord those were the days.  how ya like my plates!      still have em up on my garage wall.

p.s.    notice it still had the vinyl top at the time                               

moparstuart

69bronzeT5

superbirdtom

hey I see your a randy rhoads fan  man he was great !! one of my favorites. I met bob daisly the bass player who played on diary of a madman , then when they went on tour they hired rudy sarzo. he could barley play daislys chops.  when I get back after the new year I will go into the archives and get the black ice band pics with the entire band taken in an aircraft hangar complete with dry ice and smoke it is the biggest 80's bunch of riff raff youve ever seen .   trying to work out a deal with TAP OUT to make the bird into a Tap out car.  hope it all works out it would be very cool to see it on their show.  thanks Tom

moparstuart

superbirdtom

yes Instead of the plymouth decal it will have tapout logo in white on the quarters and wing and on the lt headlight bucket. very cool if they go for it. then i would not sell it I would lease it or sell it to them for advertisement purposes.

moparstuart

Quote from: superbirdtom on December 10, 2008, 01:52:57 PM
yes Instead of the plymouth decal it will have tapout logo in white on the quarters and wing and on the lt headlight bucket. very cool if they go for it. then i would not sell it I would lease it or sell it to them for advertisement purposes.
very cool , hope you get the deal done and get to keep it .  I would love to buy it but not in my budget , and I think santa is tapped out too this year .     

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

RallyeMike

There can't be two of them....... so I figure this is the same car. I remembered it from 1989, Lake Sammamish (east of Seattle WA).

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

nascarxx29

moparstuart

69bronzeT5

Quote from: superbirdtom on December 10, 2008, 01:33:57 PM
hey I see your a randy rhoads fan  man he was great !! one of my favorites. I met bob daisly the bass player who played on diary of a madman , then when they went on tour they hired rudy sarzo. he could barley play daislys chops.  when I get back after the new year I will go into the archives and get the black ice band pics with the entire band taken in an aircraft hangar complete with dry ice and smoke it is the biggest 80's bunch of riff raff youve ever seen .

Yeah, Randy is defintley great! He's my favorite. :yesnod: Awesome, can't wait to see the pics. :cheers:

superbirdtom

Quote from: RallyeMike on December 11, 2008, 04:40:20 AM
There can't be two of them....... so I figure this is the same car. I remembered it from 1989, Lake Sammamish (east of Seattle WA).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yay! a great photo from the seattle days. when  left L.A. in 88. I movd to seattle and joined another band CRYSTAL RAIN. and I took off the hood and re-painted the quarters. it has been to many car shows in seattle , it was at my brothers house in bellevue for a long time . it is here in my Alaskan garage.   The cops kept pulling me over telling me that I had to put hood back on it was illegal without one.  It was cool for awhile anyway. iIhope more people got pics of it out there.    Thanks for the memories   Tom!!!         p.s. yeah the deadgiveaway is the enkei rims

moparstuart

tom's  Hemi cuda and 70 charger R/T

71 hemicuda out of service for 18 years now.

I will have to get this crap off at sometime. maybe another 5 years till it gets touched, just no time to work on your own darn cars.

stuart        I guess theres a price for storing your cars at a buddies house. but hey I have cars stuffed anywhere I can and you can't complain about a warm dry place

moparstuart

:drool5:

Hasen't seen the road in 20 years

the seats I believe are not stock ,the drivers is electric . I think they might have came out of a later model

moparstuart

:popcrn:  tom's house today .     heres today good day for the superbird to be inside

moparstuart

moparstuart

69_500

So you mean to tell me that you went and took pictures at someones house before 8 am? Geez JK.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on January 02, 2009, 08:57:33 AM
So you mean to tell me that you went and took pictures at someones house before 8 am? Geez JK.

not me  , dont think i'm headed to alaska anytime soon .  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: great thing about digital camera's and email

69_500

I was going to say, man you get up extra early to go  take pictures, and I thought that people like me and Gene were the only ones who would go get pictures of cars before 8 am.

superbirdtom

He can't fool me I saw size 16 footprints in the snow leading into my garage !! :musik010:

moparstuart

Quote from: superbirdtom on January 02, 2009, 01:00:42 PM
He can't fool me I saw size 16 footprints in the snow leading into my garage !! :musik010:
that was big foot , I only wear 14's .  :smilielol:

moparstuart

HEY STUART i FINALLY GOT A SHOT OF MY CUSTOM LOWER AIRDAM I BUILT OUT OF ALUMINUM WITH RUBBER EDGE. IT KEEPS AIR TURBULENCE FROM UNDER YOUR CAR.  COULD YOU PUT ON THE BLACK SUPERBIRD THREAD I THINK EVERY ONE WOULD LIKE TO SEE

moparstuart

:drool5: heres finally a pic I dug out with the band and car. it was done in an aircraft hangar. with fog and dry ice how 80's its so funny to look back at it. but hey theres a sinister black superbird in the pic so take that chevy and ford.        Thanks   Tom

moparstuart

moparstuart

since larry let the cat out of the bag , I figured i'd dig this one back up .

:bump: :bump: :bump:

hotrod98

Quote from: moparstuart on October 09, 2009, 02:07:47 PM
since larry let the cat out of the bag , I figured i'd dig this one back up .

:bump: :bump: :bump:

I figured that the deal is done and all I have to do is make the arrangements to pay for it and pick it up. Unfortunately, he and I are both so busy it may take a few weeks to get up there. It still has to be placed in a container and shipped to Seattle from Alaska.

Man, the lengths some people will go to just to get a new toy.  :drive:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

is it there yet 

is it there yet

is it there yet   :shruggy:

dads_69

I'm still in Alaska Larry. I can pick it up for you and store it at my house. I have Lightning's in my garage, but I think I could make room for the bird.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

hotrod98

Aren't you a little further north?   :shruggy:

The car is going into a container early next week. Should see the car in a couple of weeks. Then the fun begins. Man, I've sprayed a lot of black paint lately. I guess one more won't hurt. I'm going to have to work overtime on this project to have it ready by spring. And, spring comes pretty early this far south.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 13, 2009, 05:45:14 PM
Aren't you a little further north?   :shruggy:

The car is going into a container early next week. Should see the car in a couple of weeks. Then the fun begins. Man, I've sprayed a lot of black paint lately. I guess one more won't hurt. I'm going to have to work overtime on this project to have it ready by spring. And, spring comes pretty early this far south.
just make sure its dont by june 7th 2010 and in branson    :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

hotrod98

I've done the math...I'll be 154 years old that year. I think I already have something planned...sorry.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Nice save... :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Here's the other two black cars that I've been working on. I delivered the runner today to my brother-in-law and the daytona clone just had the headliner installed and it's going to Allen's (41husk) home very soon.

Charles Addams

dads_69

Quote from: hotrod98 on November 13, 2009, 05:45:14 PM
Aren't you a little further north?   :shruggy:

Larry, yes, I'm closer to Anchorage than the car actually is. If you bought the bird from Juneau, then yea, its a Ferry boat ride plus lots of drive time, about 10 hours or so depending on road conditions.
If you bought that bird from here, I thought it was a turnkey car not needing any work?

Mark

hotrod98

It's in Ketchikan.
Tom was starting the total resto on the car when I stopped him and we made a deal on the car as is. Let's just say that I was more than happy with the deal. Even if I had bought a freshly restored car, I would have stripped it down and repainted it. I won't drive a musclecar that someone else has painted. That's what made it so difficult to find just the right car. Seems they were all either fresh restos or basket cases. And, I didn't want to buy a matching numbers car because of the hate mail that I would have gotten once they saw what I did to the car. In this case the car is already basically where I want it to be. I'll paint it back black, install new leather interior, new headliner, new carpet and whatever else it needs interior wise and then pull the engine out the bottom and freshen everything up and put the correct valve covers back on.
I actually will be going back closer to or back to original on many items. The original seats and Dana have been re-installed and other than the hood, six pack setup and rims, the car will look pretty much stock. I already have a correct hood, correct repro wheels and a correct four barrel setup if I ever decide to go back even closer to original appearing.
I'll have less money in this car when it's finished than what the guys were asking for some of the basket cases just a year ago.

Now if the ship doesn't sink next week and if the car doesn't fall off of the transport truck, I'll finally have a real bird. ;D

Charles Addams

dads_69

That's cool Larry. I found a 69' Daytona clone (actual 70' charger) near me again recently. Been sitting over 20 years same spot 45 miles from me.
I asked about it, its another case of owner died, guy who has it now won't sell it due to sentimental reasons as it rots into the ground.
Oh well...

Mark

41husk

I am still trying to figure out how to save that pic of my Daytona clone sitting without it's front cap, to my desk top. :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hotrod98

Quote from: 41husk on November 14, 2009, 10:16:35 PM
I am still trying to figure out how to save that pic of my Daytona clone sitting without it's front cap, to my desk top. :2thumbs:

Right click     Set as Background

Charles Addams

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 41husk on November 15, 2009, 12:06:30 AM
Thanks Larry !!!!!! :cheers:

:iagree: 

Like I told him, if there is such a thing as karma, he's stocked up!

...oh you're talking about desktop pictures.  ;)

hotrod98

Mike, The cuda is almost ready to go. I'm going to put a coat of wax on it tomorrow. Mainly because I feel guilty for not having done it in a while and secondly, it's kind of like something nice that I can do for the car since it's been so good to me for the last ten years. Kind of felt strange knowing that I was washing it for the last time today. I wanted to take it out for a drive but it's no longer my car and I was worried about something happening to it.

The bird is almost ready to leave Ketchikan. Tom removed the wing for me and packed it safely in the trunk and should have the Superbird in a container Monday or Tuesday.
As soon as the bird leaves for Seattle, I make the arrangements to have it picked up.  :2thumbs:

Oh, here's a pic of the lady that I'm buying the bird for. On Friday, she posed next to the runner that I built for her brother. I think the black cars are starting to appeal to her a little more every day. She hasn't mentioned re-painting the bird limelight in quite a while. I keep telling her that she only needs one limelight car.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

here is what tom replaced the black ice bird with ,  he previously owned this one and wanted it back .

toms quote
       heres why i don't miss my bird  I got this bitchin roadrunner back from a guy I restored it for. I bought it shortly after the bird  so I owned it for a long time. it is a factory plum car w white interor air grabber 383. with a built motor that is fasta s hell

moparstuart

toms house in alaska yesterday

view from outside my house yesterday  I just made it by getting the car into the barge container

dads_69

Awesome! Hasn't snowed where I'm at, just cold as heck out still. I've never seen the purple car Tom has now either, must be closer to him.

hotrod98

Tom said that he put the bird in the shipping container and it started snowing on the way back to the shop. Now I'm getting real anxious for it to get here.
The part that I hate is having to put the Superbird away while I finish up on Allen's Daytona clone.

Charles Addams

69bronzeT5

Quote from: moparstuart on November 19, 2009, 03:21:16 PM
toms house in alaska yesterday

view from outside my house yesterday  I just made it by getting the car into the barge container

Nice looking places there! :yesnod:

moparstuart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAXWQJiy-ns

Here is black ices metal music ,  Tom sent me this link .

more here        http://vibrationsofdoom.com/test/test2/BlackIce.html

larry i think you need the EP to display with the car .

hotrod98

Charles Addams

superbirdtom

I would go to a photo place and make a big poster of the band with the fog and all to use in display.

moparstuart

tom and trophy

Heres me with my first trophy taken after everyone left. this is before the Black Ice logo was put on the car.

hotrod98

I was telling Tom today that yesterday I walked into the front shop and for the first time, I looked at the car and thought...wow, the Black Ice bird is sitting in my shop and I own it. Somehow the reality is just setting in. I've been so busy with the new building addition, the new racecar and finishing up customer cars that I haven't had much time to really concentrate on the bird.
The only part that I hate about driving the bird is the constant horn honking, hand waving and the "cars that I used to own" stories every time we stop somewhere. 
Who am I kidding?  I love that part.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

41husk

I think I know how you feel, and my Daytona is just a clone :cheers: I don't know if I would be more proud of a real Daytona?
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

hotrod98

If I hadn't bought the real bird and had gone ahead and built the superbird clone, I think I would have felt pretty much the same way about it. But, if I had to give up the real bird and build a clone now, the clone probably wouldn't be as exciting. Sort of like me going from racing alcohol dragsters to driving a door car. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy my Barracuda drag car but it just doesn't have the adrenaline rush that the dragsters did. We're looking hard into building a Superbird Super Pro car. Now that might bring back some of the old excitement.

Hey Tom...we want to see more "back in the day" pics of the Superbird.

Everyone around here has been calling it the "Black Bird".

Charles Addams

superbirdtom

every now and then one pops up and I will send it for sure.

superbirdtom

Quote from: dads_69 on November 13, 2009, 09:45:20 PM
That's cool Larry. I found a 69' Daytona clone (actual 70' charger) near me again recently. Been sitting over 20 years same spot 45 miles from me.
I asked about it, its another case of owner died, guy who has it now won't sell it due to sentimental reasons as it rots into the ground.
Oh well...__________________________________hey ju hire a flatbed and make off with it

Mark

hotrod98

Tom...A friend of mine is building the engine for the project six pack article for Musclecar Review. He is going to suggest that they do a piece about the Black Ice bird. I told him the basic history of the car. As far as I'm concerned, the story is all about you and the car, not me and the car. They may contact you for additional info.

The guy building the engine for them is Jim Lewis. He builds stocker motors for the NHRA racers. I just bought his 1971 Cuda shaker hood drag car that he's had since it was almost new. The car was a real sassy grass green car originally.
It's race ready other than it really needs new slicks. I'll freshen it up some and race it when it turns cooler. This means that I'll be selling the 71 sassy grass green Barracuda and the Superbird clone project. I don't need all of these cars.

Anyone want to build a Superbird clone? I'll make them a deal.

Charles Addams