News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vintage Plate Use Laws in NJ?

Started by bordin34, December 13, 2008, 10:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

Does anybody know the laws for using vintage plates in NJ? I will probably be registering my car normally in Feb. and would like to use some old plates circa the 70s on my Charger.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

WingCharger

In Ohio to use vintage plates you have to have it written as a collectors plate. This means you can only drive the car to shows. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

SFRT

not allowed in NJ. best you can do is get an 'antique' plate.

heres the skinny:

D.M.V. CONTACT INFORMATION:
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 160
Trenton, NJ 08666
Telephone:  (609) 292-6500 or toll free in NJ (888) 486-3339
Website    :  http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/
E-Mail        :  Through form on website

SAMPLE LICENSE PLATE INFORMATION:
New Jersey sells samples of the following Design base plates for $10.00 each:
Agriculture, Animal Friendly, Animal Friendly - "Mutts", Baymens Heritage, Conquer Cancer, Deborah, Fallen Law Enforcement, Historic Preservation, Meadowlands, Olympic, Organ Donor,   Pinelands, Shade Tree, Shore, Liberty Park, Wildlife Eagle

New Jersey sells samples of the following Blue/Buff base plate for $5.00 each:
Passenger, Air Force Reserve, Air Guard, American Legion, Army Reserve, Columbianism, Combat Wounded, Commercial, Commuter Van,  Disabled Veteran, Farm Use, First Aider, Free Mason, Marine Reserve, Pearl Harbor, Telephone Pioneer, Trailer, USCG Auxiliary

New Jersey sells samples of the following Reflectorized plates for $5.00 each:
Air Force Reserve, Air Guard, Army Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Commercial, Commuter Van, Disabled Veteran, Farm Use, Firefighter, First Aider, Handicapped, Historic, Marine Reserve, Moped, Motorcycle,  Passenger, POW, Silent Service, Square Dancer, Telephone Pioneer, Tractor,  Trailer,  USN Reserve,

To order, send your request with a check or money order (NJ requests please do NOT send cash) to:
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
Special Plate Unit
P O Box 015
Trenton NJ  08666

YEAR OF MANUFACTURE LICENSE PLATE USE:
Registration or display not allowed.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BlueSS454

Unfortunatley, NJ won't reissue old tags.  Other states have year specific tags, one of which is Maryland.  They allow them to display the old tags on the car but have to keep their issued Historic tags in the car at all times.  If you want to have a set of old NJ yellow tags, I'd just keep them in the trunk.

For your purposes, I'd put NJ Historic (QQ) plates on your car.  It's a one time registration fee, renew every 3 years for no cost, and the car is exempt from inspection.  Just don't use it for an everyday car.  If you intend using it for daily transportation, put regular tags on it and get it inspected.
Tom Rightler

Ghoste

So no year specific plates for classic cars but they have designs to cover telephone pioneers, free masons, and square dancers?   :P

resq302

Quote from: Ghoste on December 14, 2008, 12:50:54 AM
So no year specific plates for classic cars but they have designs to cover telephone pioneers, free masons, and square dancers?   :P

Yeah, pretty much.   Don't you love NJ?    :brickwall:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bordin34

It is currently registered with QQ plates but in Feb. I will probably register it normally.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Chris G.

Quote from: BlueSS454 on December 14, 2008, 12:44:42 AM
Just don't use it for an everyday car.  If you intend using it for daily transportation, put regular tags on it and get it inspected.

While that's the correct way to do it, many people "QQ" their daily drivers. Soon you will be seeing mid 80's cars sporting those plates.

resq302

Actually, there are probably some 80s cars that have QQ plates on them already.  You only need to have 25 years for the car to be qualified for the historic / antique plates.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

FLG

I have a pair of 73 plates i plan on putting on the charger...just been lazy  :rotz:

Love the old NY plates, blue background orange writing for the 67-73 style ones :2thumbs:

BigBlockSam

hi guys

what i did here in nj is . i found a nice 1939 nj plate . then i applied for vanity plates , qq historic with the same # . i use the old 39 plate on my 39 plymouth when i go to shows and i keep the new plates in the car . just in case the cop wants to be a dick . so far no troubles. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on December 16, 2008, 11:25:13 AM
hi guys

what i did here in nj is . i found a nice 1939 nj plate . then i applied for vanity plates , qq historic with the same # . i use the old 39 plate on my 39 plymouth when i go to shows and i keep the new plates in the car . just in case the cop wants to be a dick . so far no troubles. Rene
missouri is great we can use the vintage plate  here's my 70
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BlueSS454

Quote from: Chris G. on December 14, 2008, 10:14:11 AM
Quote from: BlueSS454 on December 14, 2008, 12:44:42 AM
Just don't use it for an everyday car.  If you intend using it for daily transportation, put regular tags on it and get it inspected.

While that's the correct way to do it, many people "QQ" their daily drivers. Soon you will be seeing mid 80's cars sporting those plates.

I've seen that a few times here and there.  I plan on putting QQ plates on my 86 Cutlass when the time comes...2 more years, but I still don't plan on using it for a daily driver.  It's put it's time in and served me well so I'm going to semi-retire it and to what I've always wanted to do with it...a stout small block, redo the rear, put a nice OD trans in it and use it for a cruiser :D
Tom Rightler