News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need headers for 73 charger 440

Started by 73chargercali, December 04, 2005, 06:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargercali

hey everybody i was with the old charger forums and i know alot of people here have experimented with headers only to find clearence problems. my 73 charger is getting a 66' 440 motor next month and i will need an exhaust system.

my question is i need a set of headers that will clear powersteering and power brakes. i want a set that has enough clearence for all parts. headers look really bad when you need to hit them with a hammer.

i am thinking about blackjack headers from dynomax #wlk-85034 in summit or i would really like dynomax ceramic coated #289-86034 from jegs. i know schumacker has a really expensive set but im on a budget.

if anyone has found a good set please tell me.
thanks tom

moparguy01

as someone who converted a 74 360 charger to a 440 car, let me advise you to not use headers. you will have to ding just about every type of headers out there. then they will be real close to the PS sector and boil p/s fluid. etc. If this isnt a full out race car I'd just get HP manifolds. (which is what im putting back on my car)

73chargercali

did you use a schumacker swap for your car? did you run into any problems?

my73charger

Hedman Headers will fit fine.  I have a 73 Charger SE with Power Steering and a 67 440.  I have the following set:   HED-78038

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=hedman+headers+mopar+big+block&x=0&y=0&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

These are also ceramic coated and you will want that.  They look good. :icon_smile_cool:

73chargercali

ok thanks for the input. but do you use header wrap or have power steering boiling problems like moparguy. do you have any ground clearence?

andy74

does it matter if the car was an original bb or not? i have hooker headers on mine,and i had to ding them slightly,but not terrible,and you cant even notice-Andy

cudaken

I would go with hookers my self. Don't use a wrap on the headers if it is a driver. Seems they like to hold oil and will catch on fire.

Cuda Ken
I am back

my73charger

Quote from: 73chargercali on December 05, 2005, 08:36:23 AM
ok thanks for the input. but do you use header wrap or have power steering boiling problems like moparguy. do you have any ground clearence?

I have never had any power steering boiling problems.  Also, plenty of ground clearance.  My seven quart oil pan hangs much lower than my headers.  A buddy of mine has the Hooker Headers and seems so like them as well.

73chargercali

ok thanks i will probably go with the hedman elites i'll use jegs. thanks ken for the header wrap info i wouldn't have thought about that.

Duey

Hedman 78030s (non-ceramic version of the 78038 the my73 mentioned earlier) work fine for me (very slight dimple on the #5 tube for p/s) until I can afford TTY's.  I wrapped mine and, touch wood, have no oil leaks from the valve covers... 

Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

AmadeusCharger500

I have the hedmans and they sat right up on the passenger side of the transmission flange. Had to have them bent out a bit. Other than that they fit fine. Its just a pita to get the starter and such in there when putting things together. Also I highly reccomend coated hedders. The high temp paint just hasn't been invented yet that stands up well to the heat. Also hedders make it hard to get at the plugs, but no real big deal if you are patient and stubborn.

HH