News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rebuilt 440 engine break in

Started by Charger72SE, October 31, 2005, 09:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

I would usel a word that people use for cats Paul. But with only driving mine 2000 miles in the last 5 years   will shut up. ;D

To me 10,000 miles is the mile stone, if it makes it 10,000 then it is a keeper. Yes with only 700 miles a year you will be safe for a while. If mine had not been crused, I would have had 700 in the last 2 months.

Ken
I am back

Runner

if your using moly rings, the engine should be fine after the cam brake in period. a few heat cycles and your ready to mash the loud pedal.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

cudaken

Runner, I can contest that :icon_smile_blackeye: But has nothing to do with Pauls

Cuda Ken
I am back

Runner

well, once the rings are seated the parts inside arent giong to get any stronger the longer they sit in the block.   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Charger72SE

yep, they are Moly rings on the 2355F SpeedPro pistons - good to know break-in on them is faster

Ken, 700 miles ain't much per year - but it's my first restoration and I want the Charger to last a looooong time :icon_smile_big:

one thing that was weird - the oil guage was pegged to max during the 20 minute beak-in.  we did cycle the engine a lot before it started up and the oil was 3/4 between "fill" and "full"

would the Melling high volume oil pump do that?

cudaken

That is what a healthy 440 will do with tight bearings and the pump we both have. I had 65 PSI at idle warm. Did not help, but that was not my problem. Mine was over bulit and under brained by the shop.

Ken
I am back