News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake/Back-up light problem

Started by Manfred318, December 24, 2008, 03:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manfred318

Here's the deal...
Last week I replaced my headlight switch, got it in no problems. Went to put the + cable back on the Bat. and sparks went flying. "Oh s@^t" I exclaimed. Looked down and noticed my + Bat. cable had shorted and burned clean into. It looked to have been happening over a long period of time. How I never noticed that and the car not burning slam down to the ground Ill never know. Anywho I replaced it and every thing went peachy. Well I put the cable back on and noticed a puff of white smoke. "Oh s@^t" I exclaimed again. Come to find out my brake light switch shorted out and was grounding out through the steering column and the brake pedal spring I had on there. I have a nice spring shaped burn on my hand now. :flame: Now then I replaced the brake light switch this afternoon, and here lies my problem. When I cut the switch on my back-up lights come on, and when I mash the brakes only the drivers side work. The turn signals and regular lights work on both sides just not the brake lights. :ahum:
Could I have some wires shorting somewhere or possibly a fuse or??. I'm stumped here. Ive been pondering on it all afternoon and just cant pin it down. Electrical is not my strong point, so any help will be greatly appreciated :yesnod:
--John

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

Manfred318

Back-up light problem solved :2thumbs:
The switch that bolts to the column must have got moved when I dropped the column last week. I can unplug the switch and the back-up lights cut off. Could the Switch possibly be bad?

Current MoPars:

A383Wing

Sounds like either you fried the turn signal switch inside the column, or you got a bad connection where the wires connect under the column

Manfred318

The switch wasnt attached like it should have been. I just need to put it back on the way it should be. My brake lights just decided to start working like they should :shruggy: I didnt do any thing to them but they work so its cool I guess. I did find another problem tho, when I just barely tuch the turn signal lever with the brakes on the lights go out on which ever side you you would flip the switch to. I would think the turn signal switch was fried as well? Like you said 383Wing.

Current MoPars: