News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No Headlights

Started by 69_Charger_RT, December 25, 2008, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_Charger_RT

Alright guys Im having problems with my headlights and Im trying to get ideas on what it could be.  Im not big with electrical stuff so any help would be great. This is for a 69

When i turn my headlights on the doors just go up with no lights.  Ive had this problem in the past and all i had to do was wiggle some wires by the bulk connector on the firewall and then everything would be ok for awhile.  I tried doing that again but realized when i hit the high beams this time i no longer get the redlight on the dash. Sometimes id get the high beams and no low beams but then eventually id play around with the wires and get them both going. 

Im wondering if my headlight switch went out since ive had to replace one in the past.  Last time i had the common symptoms of a failing switch (headlights would go on and off a bunch of times and was getting hot). This time the lights just all of a sudden went out.  Also recently my left brake light doesnt work when i hit the brakes and my reverse lights have been out for awhile.  Brake lights all light up when i hit the running lights but not when i step on the brake.  I checked all my fuses and there good. 

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

b5blue

Check your dimmer switch and connections first,there is a circuit breaker in the headlight switch to, that's why they where going on and off before.Clean up your bulkhead connectors you may need a new turnsignal sw. if it's old, your brake lights go into it.Look for crappy connectors and clean them up!

69_Charger_RT

Thanks ill check all those things tomorrow when it stops raining outside

69_Charger_RT

Quote from: b5blue on December 25, 2008, 02:25:53 PM
Check your dimmer switch and connections first,there is a circuit breaker in the headlight switch to, that's why they where going on and off before.Clean up your bulkhead connectors you may need a new turnsignal sw. if it's old, your brake lights go into it.Look for crappy connectors and clean them up!

Update: Got the headlights and reverse lights to work.  Just had to clean the connections and make sure they were on good.  Also replaced my turn signal switch/voltage regulator. 

Only thing i have to figure out is left tail lamp when u hit the brakes.  When the running lights and the signals are on the lamp lights up.  Just when i hit the brake pedal it doesn't light up.

b5blue

Hummmm!Try cleaning the sockets and swap some bulbs around,wiggle the sockets in the taillight housing to get a good ground.Sounds like your close!Some times the bulbs get loose from the base, make sure there suck on real good!Check that out and then work forward look for old splices/repairs or a spot where the copper wire is broke in the old insulation.Some times (as my car had)a few different problems make a weird end result from feed back or floating grounds and such.Good luck!