News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

side molding for 69 charger

Started by chargerbr549, November 01, 2005, 12:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerbr549

I am kind of new to this site but from what I have read so far there is some awesome info here! Now my question; I have had my 69 R/T SE Charger for twenty years now and it still isn't all done, when I first got my car it had some side molding about half-way down on the side of the car and it went from about the middle of the quarterpanel to about the middle of the front fender, my dad was a chrysler mechanic for over 35 years and he said it wasn't stock and it looked hideous so I threw it away, over the years I have seen a few 69 Chargers with the same molding on them, now was this stock or was it an aftermarket add-on that somebody sold?

Mfr426

Hello and welcome to the site! I've never seen a side molding on a 69 Charger but that could just be me? I cant imagine that it would help the natural curves of the car in a positive way though.

Dont worry about a 20 year project. I'm fast approacing 10. That's just life getting in the way of our projects.   :)

Let's see if anyone else has seen it?

Mike R in Reading PA
'69 Chager SE

Shakey

Welcome to the site!

Some cars had rocker mouldings, stainless steel (I think) trim along the very bottom of the car, between the front wheel well and the rear wheel well.

As far as the side moulding, people had these added at the dealeship in the '70's to act as door guards in the parking lot.  A simple stick on strip of moulding with a rubber insert to act as a bumper.

I have seen a few pictures on the www.

I would not put them on the car if I were you, but to each his own.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Like Shakey said, a dealer add on and not original to the car.

PS---register your 69 if you havent already! :)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

cudaken

Molding was made by a company called Trine Line and was ugly as heck. It was a dealer add on as Just 6T9_CHGR.... said.

I have seen around 10 Charger's with them at shows. I all wise wonder why they left them on. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Welcome to the site, Cuda Ken
I am back

Spartan

Welcome, and don't feel bad about the 20 year thing.  I did my original resto 22 years ago and about a year ago I decided to do it right.  My car is now spread across 3 different towns and 2 states getting various things done. 

I have seen a few pics with the side moldings but nothing that was stock to the car. I did a look thru my resto book as well and it is not identified as an option either.  Hope it helps.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

chargerbr549

I just wanted to say thanks for the info it helped me out a bunch! I am 36 yrs old and I finally got my first computer and got online so this internet stuff is a whole new world to me and finding this site has been a great help for me (ya I know that I am behind the times). I will probably have more questions down the road and hopefully be able to offer some advice and information. Once again thanks!

Neal_J

My had them too when I bought it from the original owner.  I'd say they were dealer added for parking lot ding protection.  Mine were aluminum tracks, pop riveted to the fenders, doors and quarters with a rubber insert.  I had to have the holes welded up when I had the car repainted.  Looks MUCH better without them.

Peace,

Neal J.