News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

74 rear bumper removal/rusted bolts

Started by mach1z, December 20, 2008, 09:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mach1z

Well the nuts are sealed to the bolts by rust. Can I cut them off from the outside and fix the bumper afterwars? I would mostlikely get some scratches from the saw even when carefull. I don't think I can fit a bolt cutter in there from under the car. Has anyone else encountered this?
One more question, do they make the chrome bumper holding studs aftermarket? Thanks, Z

FLG

What bolts are the problem?

When i wanted to take off my rear bumperettes i had to sawsall the bolts off. Scratched it a bit but nothing too bad. Also they were so bad i was able to hammer and chisle them off but pieces were stuck so i had to take the sawsall out i bet if you took your time with a hacksaw might not scratch it much.

71charger_fan

The bumper, taillights, and brackets come off as an assembly. Just unbolt it inside the trunk (don't forget the wiring) and lift the whole mess off at once. Then you can easily get to the back of the bumper.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 71charger_fan on December 20, 2008, 11:20:48 AM
The bumper, taillights, and brackets come off as an assembly. Just unbolt it inside the trunk (don't forget the wiring) and lift the whole mess off at once. Then you can easily get to the back of the bumper.
I agree. This is the only real way. Forget a sawsall and just use a grinder to cut the nuts off the back.  You also don't have to worry about scratching your chrome up.  I have done this at least a dozen times. :2thumbs:

mach1z

"The bumper, taillights, and brackets come off as an assembly. Just unbolt it inside the trunk (don't forget the wiring) and lift the whole mess off at once. Then you can easily get to the back of the bumper."

I had no idea. Thank you, I will do that. Thanks for all the replies.

71charger_fan

If your rear valance is in good shape, put some rags in there before you yank the bumper so you don't scratch it up. It's pretty easy to pull one without scratching anything, harder to install. Especially when there never seems to be anyone around to help. Fortunately, they're not that heavy. '73/'74 units are heavier than '71/'72.

bordin34

If I remember correctly, there is a stud on each bumper bracket which really helps doing it by yourself easier. Just put the stud into the hole and thread the bolt on. I was able to easily swap bumpers by myself. a rubbermaid bin is a good place to rest the bumper on also.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ