News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Grille Accident Damage Fix Update 5-8-09 with pics!!

Started by dkn1997, December 26, 2008, 08:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

Got my metal grill frame back from the blaster today.  I tried myself at home with some fine grade aluminum oxide, but there was too much crud and rust and paint on it...would have taken me forever.  I took it to a place here on Long Island called SoClean and they blasted it.  I'm thinking they did it with baking soda, but I didn't ask.  For 100 bucks, I couldn't be happier. It's such a large piece that the impact of seeing it all minty fresh is one of the best parts of this whole project.  maximum bang for the buck.

RECHRGED

dkn1997

Last two for now.  I am going to rattle can it with SEM paints from my local paint jobber.  I don't have a paint gun or patience to mix paint and all of that.  I hit it with some etching primer and plan to follow with high build primer and then wetsand, then gloss black.  I have no idea what the correct finish is, but I plan on doing the whole frame in gloss black and everything black that bolts to it in semi gloss black. 
RECHRGED

69*F5*SE

Hemidog

Rubberduck

ยด68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

hemi-hampton

I'd wear gloves to handle it so you don't get greasy finger prints all over it. Epoxy prime fast.  :Twocents: LEON.

dkn1997

No gloves, but I wiped it down with a clean rag and alcohol before I primed it.  I used SEM self etching over the bare metal.  Could I epoxy prime now? and if so, out of a can?  I know a gun is the right way, but I don't have one and to buy one, learn how to use it, and go out and buy even more paint is just more than my head can stand at this moment. 

My plan was to do a high build primer,wetsand smooth with 1500, then paint.
RECHRGED

hemi-hampton

I'd epoxy prime & just paint. Unless you have flaws that need to be filled or fixed like rust pits, ect, then I'd Surface prime but the Surface prime/filler in a Spraycan usually sprays like thin water & has poor filling capabilities I've noticed. I'd say sand with 600 if you surface prime & sand, but I usually spray with a gun so 600 scratches easily cover but if your going to spray water thin spray can black, 600 scratches may be visable unless you use a few heavy coats. 1500 way to fine for any adhesion & only done on wet sanding before rubbing. My 2 cents :Twocents: I'm sure others will disagree. LEON. :scratchchin:

dkn1997

Finally done.  car is ready (see other thread) and I'm dropping the grill off to him tomorrow.  It's not correct, and it sure isn't perfect, but it's light years better than what it was, even in pre accident condition

RECHRGED

dkn1997

RECHRGED

69*F5*SE

mopar73

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bakerhillpins

Quote from: dkn1997 on May 08, 2009, 07:09:31 PM
Finally done.  car is ready (see other thread) and I'm dropping the grill off to him tomorrow.  It's not correct, and it sure isn't perfect, but it's light years better than what it was, even in pre accident condition

I guess I have a lot to learn about these cars because for not correct OR perfect it sure looks dam good to me!  :shruggy:

Nice job!  :cheers: :2thumbs: :drool5:

Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

dkn1997

Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 11, 2009, 03:07:47 PM
Quote from: dkn1997 on May 08, 2009, 07:09:31 PM

I guess I have a lot to learn about these cars because for not correct OR perfect it sure looks dam good to me!  :shruggy:

Nice job!  :cheers: :2thumbs: :drool5:

Bryan

I am happy with it, dont' get me wrong...but it's not as nice as a lot of the ones I see on here. 
RECHRGED