News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

biggest tire to fit in 2nd gen rear ??

Started by 69bananabeast, November 01, 2005, 08:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bananabeast

any one know what the biggest tire can fit in a 69  rear without making adjustments?  I've got 15x 8 1/2  wheels in the back .  Im pretty sure a 295 / 60 will fit.    Im looking to go with a drag radial tire and im looking around the range of a 29'' tire  (most likely Hoosier)  . any suggestions?
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Doc74

295 will fit, some members have even wider tires but it would be damn close me thinks and not all exact size tires are truly the same size. I guess it's like Nike and Converse shoe sizes, they ain't never the same size either  ;D

29 huh? That's big, there's a calculator somewhere but someone else will post it before I even remember where to look for it.

Mefirst

I run 10" wide rear rims with 5" backspacing fitted with Racemaster 315/50R15 tire, fitment is perfect. The street tires I have are 295/50R15 wide and also on 10" rims, but these rims have a backspacing of only 4.5" or was it 4.75", the tire rubs the inner fender lip if I have one passanger in the back seat... The interesting part about both these tires is that they are just as wide, but difference is that the RM are a fraction higher..

When trying to decide what tire to run on your rims and what will fit, the only way is to measure, measure, and measure..

Personaly I would not put a 295 wide tire on a 8,5" rim, reason is im not confident that there wont be any excessive load on the tire wall, id rather go with the 10" rim. Even if you run DOT slicks you really need to check that the tire fits, the tires will wrinkle, so the tire needs enough room to do that without rubbing...

/Tom

69bananabeast

1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)