News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whats up with my quad?

Started by WingCharger, December 29, 2008, 02:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingCharger

I have a 2001 Yamaha Breeze 125, that I am trying to sell, but there is a problem. The thing wont start. :P
It acts like it is not getting fuel, even though I know it is. I have cleaned the fuel lines, and cleaned and rebuilt the Carburetor. I got mad at it one day, and cranked it for like 10 minutes with the throttle open, and it actually started. :eyes:
The choke does not do anything, and it will only start if you crank it for a long time open throttle. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: (I know it is really hard on the quad, but how else am I supposed to do anything to it?)
It started doing this right around September, but it has had problems like this for like 2 years.

Any ideas what could be up?? I need to get it running so I can sell it, and add the cash to my MoPar fund. :2thumbs:

bordin34

Is it getting a spark? Have you cleaned or replaced the spark plug?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Sublime/Sixpack

Having to crank it for a long time with the throttle open for it to start sounds as though its flooding.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

tan top

don't know anything about motor bikes  :rotz:  but i would
check to see you have got a spark ..& all the electrical conections for the ignition , take the plug out ..does it smell  or soaked  gas !!
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

WingCharger

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on December 29, 2008, 02:05:44 PM
Having to crank it for a long time with the throttle open for it to start sounds as though its flooding.
No, it wouldnt start at all unless you ran the throttle open. :brickwall: Then, at least, it would start.
Quote from: bordin34 on December 29, 2008, 02:05:25 PM
Is it getting a spark? Have you cleaned or replaced the spark plug?
Yeah, it has a brand new spark plug, and I am thinking of getting a new wire.

bordin34

Are you sure it is sparking? Also there is probably a pickup sensor on the flywheel, make sure it works. Make sure the float in the carb is good.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

1969chargerrtse

When you finally get it started  does it run like it was flooded?  Start out gasping and putting and then pick up speed, to indicate it is flooded to start off.  Once it's running, if you choke it does the choke work proper and stall it out?  If so It does sound like a flood issue.  My Kawa always starts up cold with no choke because somehow gas is leaking into the carb and kinda pre choking it.  Does it run 100% normal once it warmed up and running?  It's probably not spark plug or electrical as once its running, its running.  I'd be more than happy to look at it if you lived near me in CT.  I have several. 
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

WingCharger

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 09, 2009, 02:35:47 PM
When you finally get it started  does it run like it was flooded?  Start out gasping and putting and then pick up speed, to indicate it is flooded to start off.  Once it's running, if you choke it does the choke work proper and stall it out?  If so It does sound like a flood issue.  My Kawa always starts up cold with no choke because somehow gas is leaking into the carb and kinda pre choking it.  Does it run 100% normal once it warmed up and running?  It's probably not spark plug or electrical as once its running, its running.  I'd be more than happy to look at it if you lived near me in CT.  I have several. 
It runs like it is cold once it does start, but once it is warmed up, it runs fine. :yesnod:
The choke doesn't do anything, and he Breeze's are know for the Choke screwing a lot of things up.

Tilar

My kawasaki 350 does the same thing. I have to take the plug out and put a torch to it and then it will start and run. Once it starts, I can pull fairly good sized trees out of the woods with it, It runs jsut fine.

For some reason the plug is fuel fouling. I can replace the plug and it will run fine for a couple months, and then it starts all over again but only acts up when I'm trying to start it. The guy at the Kawasaki dealer told me that the valves needed to be adjusted. Might be the same thing with yours?  :shruggy:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Tilar on January 09, 2009, 07:46:44 PM
My kawasaki 350 does the same thing. I have to take the plug out and put a torch to it and then it will start and run. Once it starts, I can pull fairly good sized trees out of the woods with it, It runs jsut fine.

For some reason the plug is fuel fouling. I can replace the plug and it will run fine for a couple months, and then it starts all over again but only acts up when I'm trying to start it. The guy at the Kawasaki dealer told me that the valves needed to be adjusted. Might be the same thing with yours?  :shruggy:
What do valve adjustments have to do with your plug issue?  How about throwing on a plug fouler extention.  Remember when the old cars burnt oil and you could put on this extension piece for the plug.  Maybe change plug temp also would work.  A hotter plug, a colder temp plug.  Incorrect valve adjustments will give you two things.  To tight an adjustment, meaning no valve lash gap and you'll have a weak compression, and probably burn out your valves and then it won't run period.    Excessive adjustment and It'll probably run o.k but be real noisy.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: WingCharger on January 09, 2009, 04:16:13 PM
It runs like it is cold once it does start, but once it is warmed up, it runs fine. :yesnod:
The choke doesn't do anything, and he Breeze's are know for the Choke screwing a lot of things up.
Well, a working choke cuts off air and then the engine runs richer and loads up.  You're telling me you can put the choke on after it's warmed up and there is no rpm change, or it doesn't bog down?  Maybe the coke lever isn't working correct.  You need to look into the carb and see the butterfly ( does it have one of those? ) closed.  Or is your carb like a snowmoble carb where you pull a pin up?  I'm thinking maybe clogged main jet?  Have you ever had any gum up, smelly gas issues with the gas an carb?

WingCharger

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 09, 2009, 08:57:09 PM
Well, a working choke cuts off air and then the engine runs richer and loads up.  You're telling me you can put the choke on after it's warmed up and there is no rpm change, or it doesn't bog down?  Maybe the coke lever isn't working correct.  You need to look into the carb and see the butterfly ( does it have one of those? ) closed.  Or is your carb like a snowmoble carb where you pull a pin up?  I'm thinking maybe clogged main jet?  Have you ever had any gum up, smelly gas issues with the gas an carb?
The choke does idle it down when it is running, but it does not help it start.
I cleaned the carb out completely, and I have never had any problems with the throttle sticking.

500hp_440

Im not sure if you did yet but chack the spark and rotor.
and to see if you can make it start fast shoot some choke cleaner throught the air intake and see if she fires. if she does, you probly need a fuel pump!
Oh and check the fuel pump. Good luck to you!
Let it alone^.

Tilar

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 09, 2009, 08:54:57 PM
Quote from: Tilar on January 09, 2009, 07:46:44 PM

What do valve adjustments have to do with your plug issue?  How about throwing on a plug fouler extention.  Remember when the old cars burnt oil and you could put on this extension piece for the plug.  Maybe change plug temp also would work.  A hotter plug, a colder temp plug.  Incorrect valve adjustments will give you two things.  To tight an adjustment, meaning no valve lash gap and you'll have a weak compression, and probably burn out your valves and then it won't run period.    Excessive adjustment and It'll probably run o.k but be real noisy.

I'm just telling you what the man that works on these things told me. I've never worked on a quad or motorcycle either one so I wasn't going to argue with someone in his element and not mine.

He was against a hotter plug. It doesn't burn oil, Besides an oil fouled plug will have carbon deposits on it where a fuel fouled plug wont.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: WingCharger on January 09, 2009, 09:41:56 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 09, 2009, 08:57:09 PM
When you finally get it started does it run like it was flooded?  Start out gasping and putting and then pick up speed, to indicate it is flooded to start off.  Once it's running, if you choke it does the choke work proper and stall it out?  If so It does sound like a flood issue.  My Kawa always starts up cold with no choke because somehow gas is leaking into the carb and kinda pre choking it.  Does it run 100% normal once it warmed up and running?  It's probably not spark plug or electrical as once its running, its running.  I'd be more than happy to look at it if you lived near me in CT.  I have several. 
Well, a working choke cuts off air and then the engine runs richer and loads up.  You're telling me you can put the choke on after it's warmed up and there is no rpm change, or it doesn't bog down?  Maybe the coke lever isn't working correct.  You need to look into the carb and see the butterfly ( does it have one of those? ) closed.  Or is your carb like a snowmobile carb where you pull a pin up?  I'm thinking maybe clogged main jet?  Have you ever had any gum up, smelly gas issues with the gas an carb?
The choke does idle it down when it is running, but it does not help it start.
I cleaned the carb out completely, and I have never had any problems with the throttle sticking.
Is it a butterfly type choke?  Drop the air box, and see if you can almost completely cut off the air supply.  If it cranks right up then the issue is getting a nice rich mixture in the carb to fire it up cold.  I have a zero turn mower that took forever to start cold, same thing, crank crank crank for 10 mins.  I pulled off the air cleaner and set the choke.  Low and behold the coke was not fully closing allowing to much cold air to enter.  Take a look at that. Close the air intake area off completely and see how it starts.