News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Chrome" Powdercoating?

Started by WingCharger, January 02, 2009, 11:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingCharger

I have a question for all the body guys. Does anybody have any experience with Powdercoating something to look like chrome? :shruggy:

In Mopar Action they used it on some seat shields, and it look great in the pictures. It is considerably cheaper, and the metal doesn't have to be so clean. So, anybody?

Just curious. Thanks. :2thumbs:

Ghoste

Never even heard of it before, which issue is it in?

WingCharger

Quote from: Ghoste on January 02, 2009, 11:54:54 AM
Never even heard of it before, which issue is it in?
They put bucket seats into Savvy Savoy. October 2008. Same issue with the A12's and the HEMI Charger 500.

Ghoste

Hmm, I have it somewhere.  :scratchchin:  I likely glossed right past that and just read the 500 article and stashed the mag in the basement someplace.  :shruggy:

WingCharger

I am still wondering if anybody has done this, and what their opinions are... :scratchchin:

daytonalo

I own a resto shop where we also do powdercoat work , that chrome powder is no where near what real chrome looks like , but it is a very shine bright silver . One more thing that color needs to be clear coated if its going to be outside in sun

moparsons

I had a set of valve covers done. The powder coater said it is called "almost chrome". Like already mentioned......it isn't just like chrome, but looks really good. As a cheap alternative, it worked for me.

daytonalo

KIND OF LIKE ALMOST GETTING LAID !!!!!!!!!!!    :icon_smile_big:

Tilar

Sounds like 3rd wife. I got it nearly every night. I nearly got it Sunday, I nearly got it Monday I nearly got it Tuesday, I nearly got it....

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

suntech

QuoteSounds like 3rd wife. I got it nearly every night. I nearly got it Sunday, I nearly got it Monday I nearly got it Tuesday, I nearly got it....

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

72SE

Is this powder chrome enough for you?

72SE

WingCharger

Do you run a resto shop or something like that? That just looks awesome.  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: suntech on January 02, 2009, 07:30:52 PM
QuoteSounds like 3rd wife. I got it nearly every night. I nearly got it Sunday, I nearly got it Monday I nearly got it Tuesday, I nearly got it....

If that was the 3rd wife, what the heck was the 1st and 2nd like?  :P
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

72SE

We do fabrication, powder and liquid. That's about as good as it get's with chrome powder unless you go with the PVD process. Can't get the link here but check out (americanpvd.com) This is called Permastar Chrome PVD and looks just like chrome. I don't have that copy of Mopar Action so I don't know how they did it. Mike

daytonalo

Nice work , but you know as well as I do everything looks good in Photo ! As we agreed it is close . Is there clear for UV use ? Is out gassing a problem ? Is that a Tiger product ? How do you prepare Substrate ?

Larry

WingCharger

What is the cost ratio to normal chroming, like for, lets say, a vent window frame? :shruggy:

daytonalo

It is no where near chrome for that use , but if you have a junker you just want to look good from 15 ft away that might work for you , As far as durability real chrome VS P.C , PC scratches very easy especially the very shiny power

72SE

Quote from: daytonalo on January 03, 2009, 07:42:28 PM
Nice work , but you know as well as I do everything looks good in Photo ! As we agreed it is close . Is there clear for UV use ? Is out gassing a problem ? Is that a Tiger product ? How do you prepare Substrate ?

Larry

Agreed, photos definately look better. I guess that is what I was trying to ask WingCharger was if that was what he was looking for since what he saw was a picture too. It definately won't look exactly like chrome but if he wants something close powder would work. As I said before if he wants parts to look like chrome you would have to find someone that does the PVD process.

As for your questions, what do you mean is there a clear for UV?
As for outgassing there is never a guarantee of no outgassing we just do our best to make sure the parts are clean/outgassed, use outgassing primers, powders and additives depending on substrate
No it's not Tiger. We use Caswell xtreme chrome/super h/g clear and Prismatic ultimate chrome. Have them send you some samples.
Preparation:1)clean/degrease 2)media blast 3)outgas 50 degrees above cure temp 4)clean/ degrease 5)powder/cure for these type of parts. Mike

daytonalo

Thanks , I really got away from doing custom PC work , way too much of a pain in the ASS !!! Only basic colors

Tilar

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 03, 2009, 05:23:47 PM
Quote from: suntech on January 02, 2009, 07:30:52 PM

If that was the 3rd wife, what the heck was the 1st and 2nd like?  :P

First one was great. Second one only lasted 13 days after we married, so we won't go there.  :eek2:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

daytonalo

Way cheaper to get a Hooker once week !!!

72SE

We do work for some custom bike/boat builders and a few car builders or I wouldn't be doing much of it either. I much prefer a nice 10,000 piece job, hang it on one end and take it off at the other. :cheers:

SgtSearcy

Chrome powdercoating.... Do yo mean like Edelbrock's "Endurashine"?

72SE

We were talking about both PVD chrome and regular chrome powdercoating.

http://www.goodrichtechnology.com/index.html  This is what edelbrock uses.

superduperbee