News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Project '69 440-6 Pak Engine Thread

Started by bill440rt, January 11, 2009, 02:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Finally, the forever long wait is over and my 440 engine finally went off to the machinist not too long ago. He's going thru the 440 engine that came with the '69 Charger I'm building, so I thought I would post the engine progress here.
Special thanks to Firefighter (Ron), who gave me some great tips and advice on putting this combo together.  :2thumbs:
Thanks to Brian who also helped seal the deal on my decision with the trans, more on that later.  :2thumbs:
I just found out from the machinist that the 30-over block needs to be punched out again, 40-over. We're researching forged pistons right now, so I will update the thread as more progress continues.

Here's the recipe:
1) '70 cast block with internals: forged crank, 6-pak rods, etc., 40-over
2) Pro-Max 6-pak setup with their tunable "Max-Pak" carb baseplates. 6-pak setup has already been run, dyno'd, and tuned by Pro-Max.
3) Lunati Voodoo 60303 cam.
4) Edelbrock RPM 60929 heads.
5) MSD pro billet dist. with the MP MSD 6AL box.
6) Melling HV oil pump.
7) Carter HV "hemi-style" mech fuel pump.
8) MP 7-qt hemi oil pan and pick up.
9) Professional Products Powerforce harmonic balancer.
10) Mancini Racing aluminum HV water pump, housing, and timing chain.
11) Pistons: Keith Black 40-over forged flat-tops
12) Serpentine belt system, custom made by Moparts member Duster499 (thanks, nitrousn!  :2thumbs:)

Exhaust will be a TTI system with their 1-7/8 headers, 2-1/2 H-pipe exhaust, Dynamax muffs.
Thanks again to Brian, I've decided on a Keisler auto OD system vs the Gear Vendors. Although the Keisler is a big chunkachange up front, it's actually more cost effective in my case of having to rebuild or purchase every other component I would need.

The engine will be going to the dyno shop once assembled. From there I'll take it home & paint, detail, assemble the accessories, and install it in the car.
Stay tuned...
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Damn Bill at this rate you will be bringing TWO cars to Carlisle! 
let me know when you need a hand putting the bullet in the chamber :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

There will be ice cold Coronas waiting in the fridge, my friend!  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

firefighter3931

Quote from: bill440rt on January 11, 2009, 04:54:55 PM
There will be ice cold Coronas waiting in the fridge, my friend!  :cheers:

Sounds like my kind of party !  :icon_smile_big:

Sounds like a fantastic build....looking forward to your progress Bill.  :2thumbs:

Once it's all built and dynoed we can archive it in the Proven Combo's Section.  :coolgleamA:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Runner

sounds like a real fun car,  what do you do for a converter?  what trans do they use? 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

bill440rt

Quote from: Runner on January 12, 2009, 05:37:49 PM
sounds like a real fun car,  what do you do for a converter?  what trans do they use? 

The kit comes with the converter. Actually, it comes with EVERYTHING. The kit is based on a GM trans, with 3 power levels based on your engine torque. Once my engine is dyno'd, I'll know which kit I need to buy. My hunch is I'll need their Stage 2 kit.
BTW, if you're a Moparts member (I am as well), they offer free shipping.

Link:
http://www.keislerauto.com/index.php?/vmchk/1966-1970-b-body-stage-2-550-lb-ft-automatic-overdrive-kit.html

Runner

are they a lock up converter?  can you get different stall speeds?

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

bill440rt

Yes, and YES!
Go to the "Kit Components" tab, everything is explained there.

Now, back on the engine topic. My machinist left me a message today, pistons have been ordered. I will update the thread tomorrow with more engine info and progress.  :popcrn:

Charger-Bodie

Good deal Bill! One step closer! Before you know it youll be trying to drive 3 Chargers at once!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 13, 2009, 03:57:37 AM
Good deal Bill! One step closer! Before you know it youll be trying to drive 3 Chargers at once!!
Thats where his friends step in :drive:  ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on January 13, 2009, 09:06:26 AM
Quote from: 1hot68 on January 13, 2009, 03:57:37 AM
Thats where his friends step in :drive:  ;)

Makes since.  :scratchchin:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

I updated the thread with the engine "recipe". Looks like we are going with a set of Keith Black forged 40-over pistons. The machinist is ordering them today, hopefully they'll be in by the end of this week or early next.
The block is all cleaned, and he's going to start prepping the deck, align-honing it, prepping rods, etc.

bill440rt

It's been a l-o-n-g time since the last update.
Engine is still at the machine shop. He's not the fastest guy, but he's very busy & does impeccable work. The short block should be assembled in two weeks or so. It will be painted and then the bolt-on "goodies" will go on prior to going off to the dyno shop.

Just received my set of Firecore 8.5's from Firefighter today (Thanks, Ron!  :2thumbs:). They are awesome.  :drool5:

Also, just placed the order for the Keisler Auto-OD setup. I went with their Stage 2 trans kit. Estimated delivery time is 3-4 weeks. That's OK, it gives me some more time to make some room in the garage and finish off the engine.

Stay tuned... :scratchchin:

Musicman

firefighter3931

Bill, that 69 is going to be quite the power cruiser....really looking forward to the progress on this project.  :2thumbs:

Glad you like the Firecore's....i knew you would.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

resq302

And this is going to be the wifes car Bill?  She is going to have more power that your charger?  Just doesn't seem right.   :pity:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

b5blue

Hey Bill when do we see photos of all this good stuff!!!!? :drool5:

bill440rt

Quote from: resq302 on March 17, 2009, 12:12:18 PM
And this is going to be the wifes car Bill?  She is going to have more power that your charger?  Just doesn't seem right.   :pity:

WIFE'S car??? Whoever said THAT??  :shruggy:  :D
Well, at least she picked out the color.  ;)   Eh, if she can't handle it I guess I'll just have to drive it. What's a husband to do?  :smilielol:

Quote from: b5blue on March 17, 2009, 07:28:15 PM
Hey Bill when do we see photos of all this good stuff!!!!? :drool5:

Hey b5!!
Do a search for Project '69. Lots of good stuff!

bill440rt

Well.... it happened.

Lots of big boxes from Keisler finally  showed up on my doorstep last week!  :boogie:
Trans kit is here, everything looks real nice. Two small issues: 1) They forgot the selector toggle switch that let's you select Street and Performance mode, and 2) No driveshaft. Turns out, they want you to install the engine & trans, then take a measurement as instructed in the manual. I then send them the measurement, they send me a balanced driveshaft. Makes sense due to the tolerances these cars have. Instruction manual is very well written and laid out. Looks fairly simple, just a lot of little steps. Spoke to them about the switch, it's on backorder & will be here very soon.

TTI exhaust has been ordered thru Promax. Ben from Promax is a GREAT individual to deal with. Ordered up the 1-7/8" polished ceramic headers, 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with Dynomax Ultra-Flows, capped off by their TTI polished tips. Should be here any day now.

Meanwhile, the machinist is draggin' ass. Short block has been there since mid-December, machine work is half done with it sitting on the floor still.  :flame:   My wife is due with our second child in a mere 2 days, so I have no idea when this will get done now. I have everything else pretty much ready to go.
Stay tuned...

firefighter3931

Quote from: bill440rt on May 05, 2009, 03:02:29 PM

Short block has been there since mid-December, machine work is half done with it sitting on the floor still.  :flame:   My wife is due with our second child in a mere 2 days, so I have no idea when this will get done now. I have everything else pretty much ready to go.
Stay tuned...

Time to pay him a visit with the BFH  :smash: and get his AZZ in gear !  :lol:

Good luck with the Baby, Bill....hope everything goes smoothly.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Musicman

Quote from: bill440rt on March 16, 2009, 03:06:39 PMEngine is still at the machine shop. He's not the fastest guy, but he's very busy & does impeccable work.
the machinist is draggin' ass. Short block has been there since mid-December, machine work is half done with it sitting on the floor still.  :flame:

Sounds just like my machinist :smilielol:

Actually I shouldn't say that... The only reason my machinist is dragg'n ass, is because he knows I don't need the block just yet. He'd finish it up ASAP if I told him I was ready for it. Every time I stop in to see him he asks me when I want it done :2thumbs:

resq302

Bill,

If your engine shop is giving you a hard time, try the guy we have used for our elky.  Nick's Machine in the Brunswick area.  If you want his number PM me.

Brian

PS- hope everything goes with will the baby and wife.  Guess you won't be at E-town. :shruggy:  Jen and I are still trying for our second child as she has had 2 miscarriages the last 2 times.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

Thanks guys.
Last time I saw the machinist I gave him some money for the new pistons, dropped off some parts, & reminded him when my wife was due. Told him it would be really nice to have the engine back home before then, because I don't know what my time is gonna be like after the baby comes. Probably nil.

Anyway, I'm going to follow Ron's advice & pay him another visit. Ron always seems to give the best advice.  :D

b5blue

Same thing I went through also.I was behind a Vett overhaul and the guy kept adding work he was going to do to Chucks list...on top of regular work a day repair shop stuff, in the end I had to rush like hell to get the car "online" and drive it "limping" to work. Keep getting face-time with him Bill, phone calls don't work.(at least in my case..Chuck was VERY kind to me on $$!)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nothing like getting new wrapped up bundles...in more than one way in your case ;)
Good luck!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T