News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 estimate hp and torque

Started by komninon, January 16, 2009, 01:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

komninon

i will have my motor dyno this weekend.
any guess what this compo will make? i will post the results next week.
770 avenger
performer rpm intake
440 source stealth heads out of the box
440 source 1.5 roller rockers
10.5 compression
isky cam mega 280 232 485 108
msd

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

sunroofblacklee

Very similar to mine, I went with the holley SD, holley 700 carb, source heads, source roller rockers, ultradyne cam, made 470hp and 520tq on the dyno.
1969 dodge charger r/t 440, hemi 4 speed, dana 60, triple black

Rolling_Thunder

My dyno program spat out 451hp and 520tq...    Very close to Sunroof's
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

komninon

what should i expect at the track?
68 charger
373 gear
tko  600

firefighter3931

George, that looks like a nice street build.  :2thumbs:

I'm assuming that you're planning on running headers, correct ? That being the case it should make in the 450-460hp range & 500+ ftlbs of torque.

Quote from: komninon on January 16, 2009, 03:54:14 PM
what should i expect at the track?
68 charger
373 gear
tko  600

Without knowing the raceweight of the car or what traction devices/tires it has....it's difficult to predict an ET.  :scratchchin:

Let's just say if it everything is right and the car/chassis are working as they should....the engine will be making enough power to run mid 12's easy and possibly quicker with additional tuning.

Ron

Ps. Keep an eye on those rockers as well as the retainers/locks.....some guys have had issues with both of those.  :yesnod:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

komninon

Ron,
i have 1 7/8 headers
the machine shop already changed the retainers and locks and will check the roller rockers.
i am using bfg radial 295-50-15 so, traction will be a problem.
anyway, if i know my car can run under 13s with good traction  i am very happy.

firefighter3931

The 1 7/8 in header is an excellent choice. That cam should come on strong at 2500 or so allthough the torque peak will be higher.  :yesnod:

I'm sure it's going to be a blast to drive this car !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

komninon

machine shop told me two more weeks , so i have to wait for real numbers

firefighter3931

Quote from: komninon on January 17, 2009, 05:02:21 PM
machine shop told me two more weeks , so i have to wait for real numbers

George, when you get it dynoed, please post a copy of the dyno sheet and then i'll archive this thread in the Proven Combo's forum. I'm interested to see what kind of numbers the Stealth heads produce with a stock stroke 440.  :2thumbs:

Thanks, Ron

komninon

my motor is still not ready.
machine shop told me Jan 15.....
then Jan 31st........
then Feb 15.....
now end of the month.
took my motor in in September only to change the heads and put it on the dyno.
don't know how long it takes but don't think it should take 6 months.
will post the dyno results as soon as I have them.

General_01

Wow. My shop rebuilt the whole motor in 3 months. Guess you aren't the sqeaky wheel. :icon_smile_big: Hopefully it will be done shortly and you can see what this motor has for you.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Musicman

To many unknown variables of course, but the bottom line will come down to how well she flows. Using general flow numbers for a stock set of Stealth heads (what few we've seen) it has the potential to make 447HP & 533 TQ or better depending. Of course if things aren't quite good as they should be, those numbers will run south  rather quickly...
:cheers:

rav440

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: komninon on February 07, 2009, 06:59:52 PM
my motor is still not ready.
machine shop told me Jan 15.....
then Jan 31st........
then Feb 15.....
now end of the month.
took my motor in in September only to change the heads and put it on the dyno.
don't know how long it takes but don't think it should take 6 months.
will post the dyno results as soon as I have them.

They've had your engine since September?  For a head swap and dyno?  You must be a very patient person!  Why would a job like that take any longer than a day or two maximum?
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

komninon

well....back in Sept i told him i do not need the engine till Jan. i was doing some body and paint till now, so i needed the storage for my motor anyway. i will have my trans from keisler this week and i hope i will have the motor in two weeks. if i have my car all done by April, i will  be happy.

komninon

still waiting......my engine is not done yet.  promised to be ready this week again. weather is getting better here in Chicago.
Speed Service INC does great work but it takes forever.

komninon

motor is ready ,but not on the dyno yet. next week i hope.
machine shop end up doing some work on the heads.
valve job
open the runners
mill heads i think .050 to get compression up to 10.6 - 1 with felpro 1105 gaskets.
i will have all the paperwork soon and dyno results.

i hope i see some good numbers with the work that was done to the heads.

Musicman

firefighter3931

Quote from: komninon on May 02, 2009, 11:28:39 PM
motor is ready ,but not on the dyno yet. next week i hope.
machine shop end up doing some work on the heads.
valve job
open the runners
mill heads i think .050 to get compression up to 10.6 - 1 with felpro 1105 gaskets.
i will have all the paperwork soon and dyno results.

i hope i see some good numbers with the work that was done to the heads.

The extra work on the heads is definately worth it....keep us posted George  :2thumbs:

Ron

komninon

got my motor
440 hp@ 5500rpm
513 torque @ 3700 rpm
i was expecting a little better....

c00nhunterjoe

in my opinion the carb and intake are hurting your numbers. plus, more tuning could help you ALOT

komninon

i was expecting 460 hp and 520 tq. we did not use spacers or play a lot with it . the torque is above 500 from 3000rpm -4300rpm.  i know a bigger carb and probably a bigger cam and some tuning would be better, but i did not want to change a lot of parts.   i think it is good enough for a street car, that would see the track maybe once a year.

squeakfinder

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 19, 2009, 01:39:10 PM
in my opinion the carb and intake are hurting your numbers. plus, more tuning could help you ALOT

Hmm, that's the same carb and intake on mine. I've thought a bigger carb might be necessary for me, but this is the first time (I think) I've heard somebody say something negative about the performer rpm intake.  :popcrn:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

firefighter3931

Here's a copy of the dyno results that George sent me....looks good ! Luv that nice broad torque curve. Impressive for a stock stroke 440 with a modest cam.  :2thumbs:

The RPM manifold is a very good choice for this type of build...flat torque curve and lots of throttle response. For this engine combo it is perfect.  :yesnod:

For some reason this printout stops at 5300 rpm but as George said earlier it made peak power at 5500 and you can still see it climbing. Not sure why they did that but it's irrelevant because we know the results.  ;)

Overall i'd have to say that the results are excellent given the combination of parts. Sure there's more power available with a bigger cam and more carb....but that also changes how the engine would behave. Personally, i wouldn't be in any rush to change the engine combination until after i'd driven the car. My guess is that the owner will be quite pleased with the power and streetability of this build....especially with a stick trans.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron