News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spool and the street

Started by Blown70, November 03, 2005, 04:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blown70

Anyone have issues running a spool on the street?

I have been told fine as long as it does not rain?

Thanks

71charger_fan

When you go around corners and the outside tire needs to spin faster than the inside won't things get a little hinky? I would imagine that inside tire is either going to lose traction as the tire tries to keep up with the outer one or it will bunny hop. There's a differential back there for a very good reason. I wouldn't dream of it unless your sole purpose is street racing but even then an air locker would probably be a better bet. Expensive though.

golden73

John_Kunkel

Try getting in/out of a tight parking space or parallel parking with a spool.  :icon_smile_big:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

A friend of mine tried it and it was awful in ways you can't imagine.  Turning a corner with a spool at a dragstrip is generally at idle or very slow speed.  Try it at normal speeds and when you feel the rear of the car hopping around to try and make the corner and hear the tires chirping and the suspension banging, you'll quickly change your mind.

'CUDA360

Yup

I have bought 2 cars with narrowed dana 60s already installed and I just take rearends out and stash them
I also have a 8 3/4 too but I sold the spool out of in on E-gay

A little too risky on the street but I didn't like the way the cars handle on the track either.

Maybe if I raced big blocks...

andy74

a local street racer guy was running a spool in his gm, and he told me he would never do it again.broken axles,frigged up rear wheel bearings,and a lot of other bull shit to put up with. get a locker or a good sure grip,youll be happier

Ghoste

And when you break an axle with a spool, you are going to change lanes... instantly!

Chryco Psycho

I would hope thet if someone spends the $$ for the spool they would buy the race axles also

Blown70

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 05, 2005, 06:35:42 PM
I would hope thet if someone spends the $$ for the spool they would buy the race axles also

The rear I have has the Strange Axles in it with the big studs.  I would guess to be a bit stronger no?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Blown70 on November 05, 2005, 07:16:38 PM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 05, 2005, 06:35:42 PM

The rear I have has the Strange Axles in it with the big studs.   I would guess to be a bit stronger no?

Strange axles are fine Tom. Go with a locker and it'll be bullitproof.   :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Blown70

You saying to ditch the spool too?   GRRR here we go another part I will need.... GRRRR

moparguy01

I ran a spool on the street in HS. If any cops were around you had to go straight.  :icon_smile_big: I wouldnt do it again.

Charger4404spd

Spools are dangerous on the street. Hate to see you mess that pretty paint job up......when it gets painted :icon_smile_big: