News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the difference between an A/C heater box and a non-A/C box?

Started by bull, January 22, 2009, 12:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Is there an actual difference in the configuration of the heater box itself? If so, how?

Back N Black

They are completely different.Size ,shape, configuration, mounting points. Blower fan different location.

Back N Black

Here is a couple of pics. First pic A/C unit. 2nd pic Non-A/C

A383Wing

Heater motor pokes thru the firewall on an A/C box....it's inside the box on a non A/C car...

Heater cores are way different, around $50 for standard non A/C core....over $250 for A/C heater core...if you can find them.

Controls are all cable operated on standard box.....and on the A/C box...all the blend doors and temp doors are vacuum operated.

I can keep going if ya want.....

And the reason for this question is?  :shruggy:

bull

The reason is that a guy in my area has both for sale used at the same price and I was considering adding A/C to my car. But it looks as if it's a bit too much hassle. I'll probably opt for an aftermarket add-on eventually.

Mopar2Ya

It's probably easier to add CAA, because there are some many differences between A/C & nonA/C from the factory. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52107.0.html
I may sell my CAA, once I get started on my re-resto. I may go back to stock.

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on January 23, 2009, 06:02:49 AM
The reason is that a guy in my area has both for sale used at the same price and I was considering adding A/C to my car. But it looks as if it's a bit too much hassle. I'll probably opt for an aftermarket add-on eventually.

Firewalls are completely different also....I took the AC out of my black 66 and welded up all the holes in the firewall and put in a non-A/C heater system.....

I wouldn't do the Chrysler A/C system if I were you....

Chatt69chgr

You can rebuild the AC box without too much difficulty.  Year One now has the AC style heater core.  I think I saw it for $185.  I believe Detroit Muscle Technologies has the gasket kit.  Hold on to the blower motor.  I don't think anyone has the exact part anymore although there is a replacement motor that is functionally OK.  The original motors can be taken apart and cleaned up and painted as long as they are not shorted out.  I suppose a good alternator rebuild shop, if any still exist, could rewind the motor.  The brushes in the one I took apart were plenty good still.  The evaporator is not available.  They are usually still good.  Just need to be cleaned and pressure tested.  There are outfits that will make you another one new if you send them your old one for approx. $250.  Under the hood, you can replace the old Chrysler compressor with a Sanden SD508.  Available in plain aluminum, polished aluminum, or black.  And the brackets to mount it are available from Bouchillon Performance.  The condenser had not been repoped I don't think.  It was available in two flavors.  One had both lines coming out on the passenger side.  The other had the inlet on the drivers side and the outlet on the passenger side.  Neither one is more correct than the other.  The replacement condensers are crossflow and are inlet on the drivers side and outlet on the passenger side.  You will be running R134A so you will need a new receiver dryer that is correct for the new gas/oil.  This part, the hoses, and the control box are all available from I think Classic Auto Air out of Florida.  I think the expansion valve can be reused and is still available.   

Petri.

Hi,have a couple questions,is the non a/c heater box same on charger 68-70 and what other b-body cars has the same box,i have a/c box in my 68 and that is all that is left from the a/c system,if i want to change the box to non a/c is it possible to do that without drilling any new holes to the firewall,i want to keep the firewall as stock as i can.

/Petri

gtx6970

you CAN'T change the heater box style without doing some major re-configuration to the firewall.

Boxes are for the most part interchangable from 1966 up thru 1969 ( 1970 uses a different heater core hose sizes )

Chatt69chgr

Since my earlier post, the condenser and the evaporator have been repoped by Classic Auto Air.

Petri.

Thanks,so it is better to leave the a/c box there when running without a/c.

/Petri