News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

real 1970 daytona for sale

Started by BigBlockSam, January 22, 2009, 05:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

Some random guy standing beside some random car.

nascarxx29

I see Hemi Geno made the trip up North .And hopefully will enlighten us on here with pictures and details when he returns.I see you got the headlights out mine were the orig GE/s and had stamped on date codes .The headlight door had SAEXX29 engraved into the door inside lower edge.Did you find those details on your 2 daytonas
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

maxwellwedge

Hemigeno? Was that who that random guy was?  :laugh:  The Hi-Lo's are GE - The one out of the car I think was March 69. The Hi-Beams were replaced with some old Lucas hi-powered deals. I will have a closer look to see if there is any engraving on the H/L doors.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 01, 2009, 05:50:15 PM
The headlight door had SAEXX29 engraved into the door inside lower edge.Did you find those details on your 2 daytonas

Where exactly is that on yours - any pics? Thanks

nascarxx29

I would have to look to find certain pictures .But as I recall on either headlight door at the lower edge below the headlights almost blocked by the trim rings .Is where I found the SAE XX29

maxwellwedge

Thanks - I'll put on my glasses  :flame: and have a good look.

69_500

I'd be more than happy to make a trip up there to take some pics of the car. I had two video camera's packed and ready for the trip, as well as my digital camera and I had just went and scored 4 more memory cards for the digital camera just for that trip. I figured that I was covered, with 60 gig of memory cars for the camera, and 1 Mini DV video camera, and a nice new Sony HD camera will all the bells and whistles. Guess I won't get to play with it for a couple more months now. Oh well.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 69_500 on February 02, 2009, 08:44:36 PM
I'd be more than happy to make a trip up there to take some pics of the car. I had two video camera's packed and ready for the trip, as well as my digital camera and I had just went and scored 4 more memory cards for the digital camera just for that trip. I figured that I was covered, with 60 gig of memory cars for the camera, and 1 Mini DV video camera, and a nice new Sony HD camera will all the bells and whistles. Guess I won't get to play with it for a couple more months now. Oh well.

Open invite for you. Did you notice the lack of a speedo for the picture? We have to maintain some taste and proper decorum  ;D

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 02, 2009, 08:48:39 PM
Did you notice the lack of a speedo for the picture? We have to maintain some taste and proper decorum  ;D

Olga & Co.'s vehicle strip search at the border was a feverish attempt to make sure that I did NOT bring a speedo along!

Funny, I never thought I fit the profile of a smuggler before Saturday...

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on February 02, 2009, 09:34:28 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 02, 2009, 08:48:39 PM
Did you notice the lack of a speedo for the picture? We have to maintain some taste and proper decorum  ;D

Olga & Co.'s vehicle strip search at the border was a feverish attempt to make sure that I did NOT bring a speedo along!

Good point - The secret is NO Speedo.

69_500

Ah so did you really have a nice time at the customs station? I can only imagine if you did have problems how much larger they would have been with 4 bags of camera equipment as well.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on February 05, 2009, 09:26:42 PM
Ah so did you really have a nice time at the customs station? I can only imagine if you did have problems how much larger they would have been with 4 bags of camera equipment as well.

I can say that the Canadian customs guys (plus Olga!) were extremely professional, but they were definitely no-nonsense types.  When I pulled into the inspection area their hands were on the holster, and they ordered me away from the vehicle as soon as I stopped.  Before travelling, I had cleaned out everything I didn't absolutely need to take with me, just to make it easier in case they did want to do a search.  Vance didn't help things when I stopped off at his shop, as he loaded me down with a bunch of parts to take back with me.  I wouldn't have minded doing that any other time, but the border guys seemed as interested in the value of those parts and what I was going to do with them as they were in confirming that I wasn't bringing any firearms/liquor/cigarrettes/speedos along.

The 4 bags of camera equipment may have pushed them over the edge though...   :rofl:

[/hijack]

FJMG

Sounds familiar Gene, except it happened to me back in the 80's. Two friends and I came back from the nats and declared a bunch of parts with reciepts of course, but you know what pissed them off? some t-shirts we were GIVEN by some vendor that was in our luggage (they didn't even look at the parts!). We were quickly informed how criminal we were attempting to "smuggle" 3 free t-shirts amongst thousands of dollars in parts when we were supposed to declare the "VALUE" of ALL goods regardless of what was paid. Hours later (went thru luggage, NOT PARTS, many times untill 3:00 AM) we were allowed to leave after we paid duty and taxes on those 3 cheap shirts which we were not even allowed to leave in the garbage at the border. Go figure.

maxwellwedge

I hate the full body cavity search.   :yesnod:

65post

As a Canadian myself who goes back and forth across the border it has always been a pleasent experience going south .The gaurds have always been very professional and very accomadating.But coming back HOME ( Quebec ) it is always the same BS .These guys will squeeze you for a buck.They treat everyone like they are criminals.And if you do not speak french well good luck..US - 1 . CAN - 0
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

superbirdtom

I have gone through customs in prince rupert from Ketchikan many times going to seattle and am hassled every time. I remember in 78 going through in a 70 challenger R/T 440 car in the dead on winter with bald snow tires . We would get stuck every so often and huge plow trucks would tow us to the top of the next hill. lucky we didn't freeze to death .

we then got pulled over by kamloops police and tormented as we had stock tires on roof tied down, they thought we stole the tires.Then I went to seattle twice in vans loaded with band equipment, we were taken into interrogation rooms for hours and interrogated , while our van as stripped down. lord I will never go to canada again. just too many hassles. I can imagine it has just gotton worse.

maxwellwedge

I have gone back and forth 100's of times and have never really had any problems. I have trailered cars to shows and have brought back parts numerous times without a hassle. Of course now that I put my mouth on it I will probably get Olga and Uncle Ernie the next time with a full body cavity search with used gloves.  :o

nascarxx29

The guy from Canada that got my car .Had issues getting it back into Canada.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 08, 2009, 06:23:18 PM

I have gotten over 20 cars from the U.S. (sorry my American buddies  :icon_smile_big:) and as long as the paperwork is filled out properly and you don't lie thru your teeth on the price it goes across like s&%t thru a goose.

One guy I know lied about what he paid and it was bought of ebay at 4 times what he claimed....Duh......He got nailed, car got impounded and he had to pony up the full taxes, a fine (10k) and storage.   :o :o :o :o

Beep Beep Dave

I just wrote up a little guide on my website for buying and selling cars across the US/Canadian border:
http://mapleleafmopars.homestead.com/ImportingandExporting.html

My experiences is that I just tell'em the truth with whatever I am trying to do and I seem to get by ok. I think most problems start because the Border Agents get lied to all the time and just get sick of hearing bs. When I am dealling with the US side I try and remember that I am a guest and they get my best behavior.

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Ghoste

The Windsor/Detroit crossing is where I normally cross and I typically find a very small degree of hassle (very very small) entering the US unless I'm going to a car event or driving the Charger and then the Detroit side guys nearly always want to talk about cars for several minutes.  Coming back into Canada at Windsor I have never had a problem in many years.  It sometimes seems like I could have dead bodies in the trunk and they wouldn't care.  Having a passport and not being an ass at the customs stations helps tremendously though.

Magnumcharger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 08, 2009, 06:30:35 PM

I have gotten over 20 cars from the U.S. (sorry my American buddies  :icon_smile_big:) and as long as the paperwork is filled out properly and you don't lie thru your teeth on the price it goes across like s&%t thru a goose.

One guy I know lied about what he paid and it was bought of ebay at 4 times what he claimed....Duh......He got nailed, car got impounded and he had to pony up the full taxes, a fine (10k) and storage.   :o :o :o :o

And his name was Randy??? ;)
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

GeneralLeeTESH

Beautiful ride-regardless !   :o
The TESH

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Magnumcharger on March 19, 2009, 08:30:19 AM

No - It was T-5   :smilielol:

Magnumcharger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 20, 2009, 04:40:38 PM
Quote from: Magnumcharger on March 19, 2009, 08:30:19 AM

No - It was T-5   :smilielol:

Ok...I knew a guy named Randy that had this exact situation befall him. Lied at the border...and paid dearly!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed