News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I paint the spokes of my TTD's

Started by Charge It!, July 28, 2005, 08:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charge It!

I have these Torque Thrusts on my 73.   I really like the looks of them. But I did actually find something even better. While cruising the swap   meets during the Mopars at the Red Barn, there was a set of these, but the insides were black. That would look so good on my car. If I had an extra $1200.00 that the guys was asking, I would of taken them home. I have never seen black for sale from American Racing. My question is, can I paint my gray ones? How would I prep them before painting, and what paint would you recommend? Thanks in advance for the help.

Wakko

Absolutely!  I personally prefer semigloss, others prefer full gloss.  You can have them powdercoated or you can mediablast or chemical strip them, tape em off and hit em with Krylon.  I used that on my Vectors and they came out great, but if I had the money I'd have had them professionally done.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Drop Top

Paint them any color you want. If you want it to last longe,r use automotive paint. But I have seen rattle can last a long time too.

Charge It!

Any particular chemical stripper that you would recomend? And I assume a medium grit sanding after the stripping?

Wakko

I used straight Stripper from Walmart, but be careful, it can cloud your aluminum (don't spray it on your wheel lip).  Don't sand a thing, not necessary.  I'm wondering if you even need to strip the old paint off at all...if you use a quality primer.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Drop Top

As was stated. Tape off any exposed aluminum with a good quailty tape so the stripper will not discolor any part that wont be painted. If you strip the paint first and it is clean. You will not have to do anything but tape it off and paint it. If you choose to not strip the paint. You will need to scuff the paint first. The reasion being that with the bare aluminum is corse and has something for the paint to bite to. Where as if you paint over paint. It wont bite into the old paint without ruffing it up first. Another way to strip the paint is to have it blasted off with Plastic, Soda, Glass Beads or a fine sand. Useing these methiods to strip the old paint will be more expensive. But will inshure all of the old paint will be off and there will be no residue left from the stripper. The easiest, fastest and the less expensive way would be to scuff with a red scuff pad, tape off and shoot right over what is already there.

Charge It!