News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fiberglass hood fit

Started by flyinlow, January 29, 2009, 09:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I bought a VHN fiberglass bulge hood for my 73. Its the hinged model. The hood fits well at the front and the cowl,but sticks up about 1/2 inch half way back. It has light weight springs installed.

Any tricks to make it "settle" into place?

FLG

Can you take a pic? And im very very interested as i want one for my 73. Where did you get the springs?

daytonalo

Beer

Yes pics please I am heading down this road.
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

flyinlow

springs avialable at vfn

hood $380
springs $35
shipping Il to OH $ 160

Yes I adjusted the hinges. Hood appears to not have correct curve. Stock hood fit Fine.

Will try to get pictures.

Beer

:o

That does not bode well...

I saw the VFN catolog had the hoods at $420, did not see the new springs listed.

Pics and more info (who ya got it from) and is it only an adjustment??  The Body shop do the work or are you Do it Your Selfing?

1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

flyinlow

I bought it last may. Direct from VFN . Make a deposit. Wait 6 weeks. They call you when its ready to ship.

It bolts to the stock hinges. Uses much weaker springs . Hood is 40-50 lbs lighter than metal flat hood.

Installed myself. Call them about springs.

Hood is delicate. You would not want the Duke boys sliding across it. Might let Daisy .

flyinlow

flyinlow

vfn pictures

superduperbee

Still a nice looking hood. If you set some weight on the high spot and put a heat lamp on it, mabey it would settle a bit? I know you can warp fiberglass Go-wings by setting them out in the hot sun.

Beer

Thanks for the pics, I am about to pull the trigger on this maybe this week...your pics though make me wonder if I should.  Other pics they seem a perfect fit. 

68pplcharger

flyinlow

The VFN hood was the best choice when I made it. Factory bulge hoods are hard to find, beat up and rusty.

I did see a mint one at the nationals last summer $3800 with air grabber.

I was thinking about cam locks half way back to pull tha hood down.

If you heat the hood with heat lamps and weight it down will it recurve it ?

Beer

I just took the plunge, ordered the VFN hood and the fiberglass front bumper, as well as the hood springs ($38).  Total $653.  Shipping estimated at $120-160 additional.  They say 4 weeks delivery.  I asked about warrenty on the fit, they said 30 days, if there is an issue they will request pics, and will try and help resolve the fit (so call em and send em pics).  In most cases they said its adjustment issues and not the actual hood.

I will post pics of my progress.

Jim

superbirdtom

when the curve of the fiberglass hood does not follow the curve of the fender which is common. the only way to fit is to cut relief slits in the inderside of the structure.  you can then push small wooden wedges into the slits which will flatten the hood out. then take autobody panel glue and smoosh it into the cracks and the hood will stay that way.  i am an autobody pro so its no big deal to me. I have also made reinforcemens strips out of aluminum Lchannel and c clamped and glued in to place.

flyinlow

Insert Quote
when the curve of the fiberglass

I thought about metal brackets ,but not the slits. Great tips . will try.

Thanks,Craig

69chargerR/T

What is the name of this company you guys are getting the hoods from, I'm looking for a six-pack style hood for my 69 charger.

Beer